86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New to the forum, just bought a beater 1990

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the forum, just bought a beater 1990

My name is James, I'm from lake elsinore, Ca. I just bought a 1990 standard cab, 22re with 176k miles, 4x4, 5 speed, A/c, etc. So I bought this thing for a mpg/hunting rig. Long story short, a couple days after I get home I notice a puff of blue smoke when I start it. The guy I bought it from amazingly left town and won't answer his phone once I called him about the smoke. I haven't had it smogged yet. Do you think there is a chance it might pass?? The motor runs good but still has the 22re knock. I want to beable to trust this thing. I would like to drop a new motor in the thing but i'm a little short on cash. I've heard mixed reviews about rebuilt motors. What would you guys do? My last question is paint. I'll put some pics up fri morning, but the paint is ugly as hell (Macco gone bad)!!!! Half of the thing still has a clear coat the other half is just flat paint. This thing is going to get beat to hell hunting and driving to work. I like the flat look with spray paint or roll on. What would you do for the least amount of money??? Do I need to sand the clear coat completly off?? I'm new to these trucks and motors so I will do my best to describe what I'm talking about.
Thanks, James
Old 06-26-2008, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off welcome.

Before you rebuild it or anything drive it for a while. The smoke is ecpected on old vehicles, mine does it too. I've been told it is the valve guides letting oil thru once they cool off and contract, in the morning you get a puff. I'm assuming thats all the smoke you see right now.

The knock? Is it more of a tick? At any rate you probably need your valves adjusted, not a big deal. It will still be ticky after an adjustment, it's how these motors sound.

Keep an eye on your coolant, make sure it is filled to the nuts in the rad and keep on eye on it, and the res. These trucks have Head Gasket issues sometimes.

Lots of people get good results with marine paint rolled on. rattle can is pretty popular here as well.

Good luck on the new rig.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:04 AM

Hey James,

As a fellow "new to the board, got a '90 22RE" let me welcome you.

Puff of smoke on startup tells me that your valve guide seals aren't in the best of shape. This was/is common with older small block Chevy's as well. Small amount of oil leaking past while sitting, gets burned on startup. Shouldn't be an issue for smog, as that's done well after being up to running temp. I also feel your pain with Cali smog stuff...

Paint: scuff it up good and rattle can the thing! Did that on an old '83 Toy I had. Got a scratch? Pull out the paint shop from behind the seat!

Elsinore: what do you hunt there?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You sound like a good candidate for the "spray paint MOD"

Just sand the clearcoat to rough it up and smooth out the edges where the clearcoat and paint meet....clean with xylene and start spraying...just make sure to take your time and do it right..prep is key...

Heres a pic of mine right after I painted it with krlon i got at wal mart

Old 06-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome to YotaTech.

There are a ton of good people here with more knowledge than you will know what to do with and that your wallet can keep up with! I suggest keeping all forms of electronic payment (credit/debit cards) locked away while surfing this board.

Take a minute to read the rules if you haven't already, it can answer some general questions about how things are around here...after that, happy posting!

That little button at the top of the page between "New Posts" and "Tread Lightly" will be of GREAT help to you.

Bottomline...

Fink
Old 06-26-2008, 10:34 AM

If you have a compressor and a spray gun Tractor Supply has some tractor paint. They have a good number of colors and its prety durable and easy to spray.You can also buy a spray can of the same color for touch ups. I did my baja bug with it last year still looks good,plus i had to touch up around the back window and it matched perfect
Old 06-26-2008, 10:53 AM

Welcome,

I agree with the spray bomb paint job, my hunting rig is going to get a coat of bedliner to protect from trees and rocks. These trucks are great for hunting so have fun and make sure you run some seafoam over night to help clean out the valves, might seal better after that.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome to yotatech. I also joined recently. I'm in Redlands, not too far from Lake Elsinore. Maybe someone will organize a Yotatech Inland Empire ride sometime??

I recently used flat black rattle can paint to do portions of my truck. I had a lot of rust in some areas, so the prep work took a while. In my opinion, if you are planning to paint the entire truck, you may want to consider getting a cheap job done somewhere (earl sceib, maaco, etc). The costs of multiple cans of primer, paint, clear coat all start to add up. I know the paint at those one day shops is pretty cheap, but I'd imagine it's gotta be better than rattle can paint. It also takes quite a bit of time. But then again, doing something yourself is always so much more gratifying.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:25 AM

Thats why i used tractor paint at TSC.Rattle cans get expensive. I got a gallon of paint and a little hardner for around 60 bucks i think. I tried the rattle can job before i almost went broke. Go buy tractor supply and check it out, I used international harvester red on my VW, It almost matched the original red. Hell i sprayed it in the driveway also, I got some looks from the neighbors
Old 06-26-2008, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by dbcx
Thats why i used tractor paint at TSC.Rattle cans get expensive. I got a gallon of paint and a little hardner for around 60 bucks i think. I tried the rattle can job before i almost went broke. Go buy tractor supply and check it out, I used international harvester red on my VW, It almost matched the original red. Hell i sprayed it in the driveway also, I got some looks from the neighbors
I spent about 70 bucks on my Krylon....and still have about 5 cans leftover for touch up!
Old 06-26-2008, 08:44 PM

Thanks!!!! Qdude- I am a duck/goose hunting freak!!!!! I love deer murdering as well!!!
So I just fired it up at work and noticed a little black water burp came out. The exhaust is cover in black smoke. The truck runs awesome, I'm just worried about the smog/smoking deal. This seafoam, what is it, and where might I find it. I have also noticed that my oil level on my dipstick rises when the truck is running. The coolant was a touch low- I will add more. Anymore advice guys???? My wife is going to kick my butt if I tell her we need to put a new motor in it. James
Old 06-27-2008, 06:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by James4x4
Thanks!!!! Qdude- I am a duck/goose hunting freak!!!!! I love deer murdering as well!!!
So I just fired it up at work and noticed a little black water burp came out. The exhaust is cover in black smoke. The truck runs awesome, I'm just worried about the smog/smoking deal. This seafoam, what is it, and where might I find it. I have also noticed that my oil level on my dipstick rises when the truck is running. The coolant was a touch low- I will add more. Anymore advice guys???? My wife is going to kick my butt if I tell her we need to put a new motor in it. James
Water is a by product of combustion. If there was a little bit of water with some smoke from the tail pipe on start-up(but clearing up immediately) is nothing to be alarmed about.

Seafoam is sold at most auto parts stores. I would advise running it in the fuel tank only at least for this first time.

The engine oil is only supposed to be checked with the engine off. Yes it will show an innacurate reading while the engine is turning. If it shows full while it is not running, you are good to go.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:37 AM

Welcome to YT.
Seafoam does wonders!! Start with a full tune up, who knows what's been done to it. I wouldn't go talking motor swap when you just got it.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by crews462
Welcome to YT.
Seafoam does wonders!! Start with a full tune up, who knows what's been done to it. I wouldn't go talking motor swap when you just got it.
You can get Seafoam at pretty much any auto parts store, for around $6-8 bucks a can. Follow the directions on the can, or check Youtube for how-to videos on how to use it.

And yeah, I would go with a full tune up before you start looking into rebuilds. 22REs are notoriously reliable. Do distributor cap, plug wires, plugs, air filter, and fuel filter, and then go from there. If you are going to Seafoam the truck, I would do it before you did all this - it has been known to foul spark plugs.

Last edited by Crawdad; 06-27-2008 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:46 AM

SEAFOAM. Put ONE HALF CAN into the gas tank. Put ONE HALF CAN into the oil a few days before and oil change. Put ONE WHOLE CAN into a vacuum line that feeds the entire intake with the engine running and warm and turn off engine the moment the bottle is empty. LET SIT OVER NIGHT. START IT THE NEXT MOURNING and let the crap bow out of your heads. MAKE SURE YOU DRIVE THE STUFF THROUGH. there will be soooo much smoke that people may call the fire department. Stuff is great but you have to use a little more the first time to get the carbon build up.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:35 AM

CRAP!!!!! I just failed smog!!!!!!!! It passed everything but the HC measurement at 15mph. I watched the process and it was blowing out quit a bit of white/blue smoke. After he got on it (25+) it didn't smoke anymore. My HC @ 15mph was 225. max is 135, ave is 34. What the hell do i do now?? The guy at the smog place said a new cat. convert. would probably help it pass. I didn't feel confident in this answer so I'm asking the pros(you)!!! I tried that lucas oil stuff but I have to wait till it burns off some oil. (no room) I went and got a bottle of that sea foam this A.M. I can't just put it in with the gas???? Help!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to get this thing smogged as I am driving it around illegal!!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2008, 09:55 AM

I recently joined YT also after picking up a 94 2wd std cab 22RE.

High HC readings are usually an indicator of a misfire. Only being over by 90 I would say this is a very slight misfire. Could be caused by plugs, wires, cap, rotor, carbon buildup, etc... If the state of tune is good and the HC's are still high, then it may be time for a cat.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:01 AM

I brought a '91 Taurus into compliance with a thorough Seafoaming and a new cat. Just a thought.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:58 AM

That what you get for living in the flat lands move to the mountains there is hardly any smog requirements up here in the San Bernardino mountains try the sea foam. Duneroller is right did u give it a tune up before you took it in and check the timing if you did you have 2 choices cat or egr.

http://www.jaroca.com/4RUNNER/Hooked_4runner.htm
87 4-Runner 4X4
New Engine
New Clutch
2 Inch Body lift
32X15.50X15 Pro Comp Mud Terrain

By the way it pass with flying colors last week
Old 06-29-2008, 08:41 PM

Alright, I did all the stuff you guys said. It is blowing less smoke but still smoking. A friend of mine said if I change out my cat. conv. I might be able to at least pass smog. Lets say this doesn't work. Should I have someone rebuild this motor? I need some serious advice.

Quick Reply: New to the forum, just bought a beater 1990