Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need verification on changing auto trans & Tcase fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 03:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There is one but its not free, something like $10/day. Some just pay for a day and download it all in one day. Sorry don't have the link. I have seen a link to an 03 Tacoma over on 4x4wire: http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...5&o=14&fpart=1

What engine do you have? If you have a 3VZE (3.0) or 22re it will be about the same as the 93 truck. If you have the 5VZFE (3.4) or the newer 4 Cyl it will be about the same as the 03 Tacoma.

BTW, enjoyed playing you guys in the Cotton bowl a few years ago. Great fans, you have some interesting chants. What was it, Hotytoty?

Last edited by mt_goat; 07-29-2006 at 03:36 AM.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:36 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
At AutoZone's website you can find a lot of FSMs for FREE! Just print out the pages you want. Both my 85 and 87 are on there...not sure what years are exactly, but worth a look.

If you are going to work on your rig, consider buying a hardcopy FSM as an investment and then if you can find a PDF of it, then print off the pages when you need them so you don't trash your complete hardcopy.

Old 07-29-2006, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So it sounds like maybe I didn't get all the fluid out of the Tcase since I did not drain it from the drain plug on the Tcase. I instead drain it (or so I thought) from the smaller pan near the larger tansmission pan.

So the only way to be sure is to drain the Tcase with the actual drain plug located on the Tcase? If I do this, will it drain the transmission also? I hate to waste all the fluid but I want to make sure the Tcase has new fluid.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by frankjake
If I do this, will it drain the transmission also? I hate to waste all the fluid but I want to make sure the Tcase has new fluid.
No, it will not drain the tranny, just the t-case.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:47 PM

"BTW, enjoyed playing you guys in the Cotton bowl a few years ago. Great fans, you have some interesting chants. What was it, Hotytoty?"

Mt Goat,

The Cotton Bowl was quite a game. Unfortunately, it may be another 40 years before we play there again, with the way we've been going the last few years.

It's Hotty Toddy. The PR machine at Ole Miss is trying to do away with the chant, banning the printing of any T-shirts with the phrase a couple of years ago. It may not be kid-friendly, but the chant is fun to yell after downing a bottle of Jack...

You may be familiar with the LSU haters' chant- White shirt, yella' britches, Geaux to h@*$ you summa b#$^%*#!

WG
Old 08-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wiseguymmiv
"BTW, enjoyed playing you guys in the Cotton bowl a few years ago. Great fans, you have some interesting chants. What was it, Hotytoty?"

Mt Goat,

The Cotton Bowl was quite a game. Unfortunately, it may be another 40 years before we play there again, with the way we've been going the last few years.

It's Hotty Toddy. The PR machine at Ole Miss is trying to do away with the chant, banning the printing of any T-shirts with the phrase a couple of years ago. It may not be kid-friendly, but the chant is fun to yell after downing a bottle of Jack...

You may be familiar with the LSU haters' chant- White shirt, yella' britches, Geaux to h@*$ you summa b#$^%*#!

WG
That's a good one too! Don't stop doing the Hotty Toddy, that was great. Yeah that Manning was too good for our secondary, what a great QB. Our QB, Josh Fields, is in the pros too but playing baseball.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, this is an old thread, but it's always nice to have complete info to close it out. The transfer chain case (very rear of the transfer case) on an A340H drains and fills independantly of the rest of the transfer case and transmission. You change the fluid in the chain case by opening the large drain and fill plugs at the very rear of the transfer case (these two face the rear of the vehicle). You can change this fluid (approx 1.2 quarts) without draining the transmission and the rest of the transfer case.

When you want to change the transmission (and the rest of the transfer case) fluid, you remove the two small drain plugs (one on the large transmission pan and the other on the small transfer case pan). Let the fluid drain out (around 5 quarts if I remember correctly), re-install both drain plugs, and re-fill through the filler tube (yes, this will get fluid into both pans... more specifically, the fluid will overflow from the large pan into the small pan after you get approx 3.5 quarts in there. I started refilling mine with the plug not re-installed on the small pan just to ensure that it would also be filled.)
Old 12-01-2006, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

That's interesting, thanks.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

subscribing to this for when I do mine. Thanks for the info
Old 12-01-2006, 07:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just to add to this, when I changed my transmission fluid a few weeks ago, I also dropped the pan to clean the filter screen (it had a lot of small bits of pan sealant due to the previous people re-installing the pan using wayyyy too much.)

After re-installing the pan and refilling the tranny, I disconnected the return fluid cooling line to the tranny (where it comes out of the radiator) and flushed the rest of the fluid out from the torque converter and cooling lines as follows:

Start the truck and let 1 quart of fluid pump out of the radiator nipple, shut off the truck, add 1 quart of fluid to the dipstick tube, start the truck and let 1 quart of fluid pump out of the radiator nipple, shut off the truck, add 1 quart of fluid to the dipstick tube... repeat this 6 or 7 times to get the rest of the old fluid out, then re-connect the fluid cooling return line to the radiator.