Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need some diff help

Old 06-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some diff help

I tried to install a diff w/a TT in the front and also an e-locker last wknd. No luck on either.

The front: The axle stub on the driver's side kept falling out everytime we tried to mount the diff to the truck/CVs. It appears it's not machined to accept my axle. The axle would go in and fully seat, but the snap-ring would not hold because the groove was not machined straight, it was sloped. If we tried it on the pass side, it would hold. My truck is non-ADD and the TT was also being used in a non-ADD truck prior.

The rear: The pinion flange on the e-locker is not good. It was recommended to me to buy another, maybe a triple drilled from Marlin. My question is, can I pull the pinion flange from my old diff and swap them? They seem to be the same diameter.

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Djlarroc
I tried to install a diff w/a TT in the front and also an e-locker last wknd. No luck on either.

The front: The axle stub on the driver's side kept falling out everytime we tried to mount the diff to the truck/CVs. It appears it's not machined to accept my axle. The axle would go in and fully seat, but the snap-ring would not hold because the groove was not machined straight, it was sloped. If we tried it on the pass side, it would hold. My truck is non-ADD and the TT was also being used in a non-ADD truck prior.

The rear: The pinion flange on the e-locker is not good. It was recommended to me to buy another, maybe a triple drilled from Marlin. My question is, can I pull the pinion flange from my old diff and swap them? They seem to be the same diameter.

Thanks.

Whats wrong with the pinion flange? Is it bent?
Old 06-26-2008, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

No, it's just got some rust on it and it's flaking quite a bit. Could be just fine or maybe not. The person who was going to help me with the install said to get a new one. Don't want to pay for a new one if my old stock one can work. Ya know?
Old 06-26-2008, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
No, it's just got some rust on it and it's flaking quite a bit. Could be just fine or maybe not. The person who was going to help me with the install said to get a new one. Don't want to pay for a new one if my old stock one can work. Ya know?

Unless its bent....flanges dont really "go bad"

just wire brush it and paint it....or post up some pics so we can see how bad it looks
Old 06-26-2008, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

Had to crop and magnify a bit, but here's a pic. Now that I see it, it's really not even the pinion flange, but the area next to it. And it doesn't turn too smoothly by hand, but it turns ok.

Last edited by Djlarroc; 06-26-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:45 AM

Thats just a dust seal....its proably catching on the flange when you turn it (especially if its bent at all)

I would replace it or dont worry about it..but definitely check for pinion play/bad bearings and oil seals just in case before installation
Old 06-26-2008, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks, what I may do is just open it and ck the bearings and seals. There is no excessive play and the gears look in good shape. Just that part is a bit crapped. From that other thread 4crawler said, the flange and dust shield should swap over from the original.

Now I just need to get that front figured out...
Old 06-26-2008, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the front is a head scratcher. I just did work on mine too; are you using new snap rings? If so & it still won't go in & lock, have you checked for debris obstructing it?

If it's damaged can you post a pic of this out of round part?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

I'll try to get some pics. There is nothing obstructing it. The driver's side will not hold it, but the pass catches fine. It seems like the driver's side is not the same diameter as the pass, it opens up like a cone I was told. Thus the axle stub wiggles free. I've been reading up on Zuk's site to see if I can figure it out, but so far I don't know wtf.