86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need Opinions on Suspension Changes/OME Torsion Bars and Bj Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Opinions on Suspension Changes/OME Torsion Bars and Bj Spacers

Hey guys I am about to get new tires on my 86 4Runner, I currently have a 3" body lift with 31's on it and I really like the look of it (space between wheel and fender and everything/not to much but still plenty). Im going to be getting some 33x12.5 TLS Radials on my 15x10 Classic II's I already have sitting in my garage and what I'm wanting to do is a little suspension lift to get a better ride and retain the same look going I have now so I don't have my tires crammed up in my fenders. Both my leaf springs and torsion bars are worn down bad. So heres what I'm planning on doing and ya'll let me know what you think. I already ordered the OME Torsion bars and they are sitting in my room, I plan on getting some 1" lift springs from somewhere (open to suggestions!) for the back and getting new shocks and Ball Joint Spacers. I already have a diff drop and the sway bar drop installed in the front with 4.88 gears(already installed in the front) and the rear 4.88 gear chunk ready to go in. My primary question is should I go with some 3/4" or 1" Ball Joint spacers? I know its not much of a difference but I really dont want to overdo it and make my truck look stupid but at the same time I like it to sit above the tires a little bit. Im also taking into account that since my rear springs are worn down so bad that putting new ones in will even lift it a little bit. So im guessing 1" lift springs will accually lift it a little more than an inch.Plus I have a bigger overload spring out of a pickup and trashed my original so that probably lifts it a little as well, probably a little less than 1/4 of an inch but I plan to continue to use it. Let me know what yall think! Thanks!
Old 11-20-2009, 05:52 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
As i can see the 3" body lift should suffice. But, i would get the 33/10.50. iIf you do the BJS, I would crank down the spacers to stock height to Soften the suspension. That make sense? And the diff drop should give you more height? Yes or just a better axle angle?
Old 11-20-2009, 06:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Teuf
As i can see the 3" body lift should suffice. But, i would get the 33/10.50. iIf you do the BJS, I would crank down the spacers to stock height to Soften the suspension. That make sense? And the diff drop should give you more height? Yes or just a better axle angle?
Well, if you're lowering back to stock height you don't need the diff drop.
If you add in the BJ Spacers for lift, then the diff drop is recommended because it decreases the angle on the CV joints.