86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need a little help

hey guys, ive got 95 4runner with the 3.slow, and im having a few problems with it,

im having problems with the front passenger wheel area, it was making horrable loud noises, the wife could hear me down the street, i put it into 4wd and it would stop and come back in 2wd once i got up to speed, i thought it was wheel bearings, i took it in to the shop they said the bearings were fine, and they repacked them and put them back in, but they said the drive axle had alot of play in it, i told them to change it, i got the truck back and headed home, the noise was gone, merging on to the highway the wheel sounded like it was going to fall off like it had loose lugs, so i pulled over and checked and they were good, i took it back and they couldnt figure it out, a week later it started getting worse making the same noises again but not all the time, i took it back to another shop and he took some of it apart and he said it could be my hub he was moving the drive the axle up and down and in and out while it was still together, but he wasnt sure until he completely took it apart, i never had any problems with it until i put the BJ spacers in it also it was making a clunking noise up front when we were offrading in the mud when it was in 4 low sounded like it was skiping teeth and that was just after i lifted it, all the other problems happened a couple months later
so before i send it back to get it fixed, do u guys have any idea what the problem might be?

and the other problem now is the truck is running like a bag of ass ill be going down the highway and just start running like poo, id have to let up on the gas and stomp back on it and it runs for 30seconds then do it again, but wont do it when im reving over 3000rpms, leaving a light it has got no power, and really slow, ive got the pedal to the rug, when it hits 3000rpm it takes right of and drives fine, it sometimes idles at 450-500rpms and shakes and farts and backfires
i was thinking it was the O2 sensor cuz ive changed everything else 8 months ago, and i also failed the emissions test so bad that it might have been a record for the worst readings at that shop,
so what im wondering is, are there 2 O2 sensors? or one ive have been told both, but i cant find a second one, the only one i know of is by the tranny cross member

can someone give me some advice?
or steal my truck, and blow it up?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your o2 sensor won't make your truck run bad. When was your last tune up? Could be a blown h/g, burnt valve, or just a simple electrical miss. Its hard to diag stuff like that without knowing vehicle history and actually having it sit in front of me to hear it. Check your tune up items, then move on to bigger things like your h/g
Old 01-13-2008, 08:25 PM

for sure check your plugs I had a 1994 truck with the 3.slow and it did the same thing... checked the plugs and 3 of six were bad... about the o2 sensors there are most likely one but possibly two... it goes like this, follow your exhaust and look for wires that go to it starting from the crossover pipe back and if you can only see one than you most likely have only one sensor. keep in mind they will be facing up or sideways out of harms way.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:29 PM

i checked for coolant lost but its still topped up, the head gaskets were replaced before i bought it and i dont have a sweet smell comming from the tail pipe and its not smoking, but the truck has 274,000 km's on it, i dont hear a miss, it feel like its getting to much fuel or not enough, i was thinking for replacing all the plugs, wires, cap and rotor again but i didnt have any misfireing, i dont know anymore, i cant afford all this, i just bought a house
Old 01-13-2008, 08:32 PM

As i've said in previous posts, DO SOME DIAGNOSIS. Don't thow parts at it hoping it will fix it. Find out whats wrong THEN fix it
Old 01-13-2008, 08:35 PM

when is the last time you ran injector cleaner through it ?????????? my other thought was that your injectors are plugged. Are you getting horrible mileage??? also when you say it idles low and rough does it smoke black ar die if it idles too long??
Old 01-13-2008, 08:50 PM

ive tried diagnosing it and the only thing i can think of is fuel pump or o2 sensor
they only thing i can do is put parts into it i checked spark and its not missing,
i ran fuel injecter cleaner in it a month ago and i put a liter of methel hydrate in it and it ran fine on the 1/2 tank of fuel i had
i dont know how else i can check

my gas milage is crap im getting 300kms on a tank of gas, when i bought it i was getting 450kms
im not getting any black smoke and it dosent die but it smells really rich
Old 01-13-2008, 08:55 PM

well You will be money and time ahead taking it somewhere to get checked out. No sense wasting time and money on parts that arnt for sure gonna fix it
Old 01-13-2008, 09:05 PM

i know that
thats why im here asking for some help, does anyone know what i can do?
Old 01-13-2008, 09:16 PM

it sounds like a mass air flow meter to me .. unclip your air filter top and lift it up when its running there will be a flap in there move it from side to side it should make a significant difference in how the motor idles, if not then it is probably bad ..
Old 01-13-2008, 09:19 PM

mass air, didnt think of that, ill try it tomorrow,