Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Is it my valves?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it my valves?

Ok, I've got a re-man 22RE and I tore off the stock exhaust and installed the Downey header and exhaust system that came (in pieces) with the truck.

The install went like a breeze and everything fit very well. However I have a horrible noise when I rev the engine or am giving it gas. I thought it was an exhaust leak and checked and retightened everything. It sounds like a valve is scrapping or hopping around somehow.

My buddy who helped me thought it was the secondary air tube for the EGR rubbing against the header so I took it off and ground the factory bracket off the tube to clearance it from rubbing the header. That didn't make the sound go away.

I'd say there's maybe 10 or 11,000 miles on the new motor. Do the valves have to be adjusted or anything? How hard a job is that? I can pretty much do a bolt on exhaust system now (this was my first time) but I'm am unsure about the valves.

I'd like to try everything I can do myself before I cave in and take it to the mechanic!

One thing I should mention is I heard the sound right before I swapped out the exhaust systems....that was the motivation I needed to get started on the project. Once I heard that noise I parked it in the garage, I have not been driving it around.

Sorry for the long winded explanation!
Old 12-09-2007, 07:17 PM

probabbly valves

Try adjusting valves 0.8 on intake .012 on exhaust...i am pretty quick on it...the back ones on the intkae side is hard to get....i like mine tight because i dont like the noise....go back and recheck them after adjusted before starting.....jeff...how do you post a new thread also...been a while since i have been on here
Old 12-14-2007, 02:54 PM

Before tearing the head off/apart, I got a couple buddy's to help me eliminate if it was an exhaust leak or not....which it was.

The EGR tube needs to have all 6 bolts reinstalled, duh! You can laugh at me, I don't care. My skills maybe add up to 2 wrenches but oh well.

I wanted to report back what fixed the noise because I hate threads, especially tech ones that don't have a solution.

So, The downey header and exhaust system work great on the 22RE. This thing purrs at 4500 RPM and has a lot more pep than stock or with just the air filter. I'm looking forward to getting an engnbldr cam this coming year which will be another good improvement in seat-of-the-pants o meter. The header and exhaust parts are well made and fit very well to my truck. I decided not to install the 3" chrome exhaust tip at this time. My truck is more of a "sleeper" at this time.