86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My son's first Yota

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My son's first Yota

Sadly I no longer have my truck(for now), but my son has decided to get into Toyota trucks and we found one that he could work on and do what he wants to it. He only has his temps right now but hopes to have this truck fixed up before he gets his license. Here are a few pics of the progress. Bed is coming of this weekend for some repair. Threw on some new front fenders. We will see how it comes along.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:32 AM

90 toyota tire size

is that a 1990 yota? I have the same color/decals I am looking to throw some larger tires on and wondering if anyone has idea of the largest size I can run without doing suspension work. Thanks in advance
Old 03-31-2012, 06:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking nice Matt

What are you guys planning to do to it? Just fix it up and keep it stock or are you thinking of lifting it and making it offroad capable?
Old 03-31-2012, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a great project. I was always under the hood of my cars as a broke teenager and hoped to do a father-son project with my boys but they weren't interested. Seeing how your son appears to be tearing into things, it looks like he'll stick with it. Best to you both.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like a fun project rig.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:32 AM

great truck.. I second that what are you plans for it?
Old 03-31-2012, 08:32 AM

Looks like a pretty nice project truck. I think just some 33s and a tuneup would be a nice start.

I would address that rust first though before it gets worse
Old 03-31-2012, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kingermk
is that a 1990 yota? I have the same color/decals I am looking to throw some larger tires on and wondering if anyone has idea of the largest size I can run without doing suspension work. Thanks in advance
Do a quick search... we have a whole thread here on "what tire size will fit"...
Old 03-31-2012, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

Looks like a great project matt... and the toyota trucks are tough it will keep your son safe as he goes down the road...

I would think about a tailgate and tonneau cover of some kind...
Old 03-31-2012, 01:51 PM

Made some progress today. Yes this is a great father/son project. It is a '93 and he wants to put a small lift and bigger tires on it. Looking for a roll bar with lights and maybe some kind of custom front bumper. Tailgate net going on to finish it. Been looking at the ball joint spacer for the lift. What are your guys thoughts? I doubt he will be doing any heavy offroading. Maybe some down in the ditch and through the woods offroads but nothing major. Bed came off today and going to cut out the rust and put some new sheet metal in. Also going do some POR15 on the frame. Frame is solid, but want to preserve it. Already done a good tune up and repacked the front bearings. Motor seems to be strong and runs great. It has 185,xxx miles with the 5 speed. 22RE motor. Trying to get it ready so we can get it painted soon and get it back on the road.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:53 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Hey ..great project. From this father to you. My sons and I had a great time rebuilding an 88 4runner (thread in my sig).

I've had my 92 since brand new. some days the tires look small, sometimes they look just right....and they are 31's. My opinion is stick with 31's. too much more and then you are talking about re-gearing....something I have no knowledge of or desire to do. I hate my spare tire location so much that I took it off many moons ago. perfect opportunity to get at that frame....I saw you post that is what you are doing. might I also suggest a rear bumper. I had one made and it comes straight off my frame rather than drop down like the original and 2nd one I had (this is bumper #3 because we rust stuff badly here).
Old 03-31-2012, 10:53 PM
Contributing Member

I would'nt go with the spacer... better results with a crank on the torsion bars... if all you want is a mild lift... don't forget you'll need new longer shocks for anything over 1" of lift...

I'd stick with the 31s also... if you want get new 16" rims if you don't already have... lots more tire choices in that rim size these days...

check/lower-raise and lube that spare lift... those things are notorious for seizing and it's a lot easier to work on/replace with the bed off... if it's all good make sure you exercise/lube it once every few months to keep it working...
Old 04-01-2012, 06:32 AM

I think he is wanting to go around a 2" lift. We tried the torsion bars and can't get the bolts to budge. Even PB Blastered the heck out of them. Maybe some more spray and try again. The rims that are on there now are 15" and those are getting painted and probably stick with a 31" tire. Lot's of work going to be done with the bed off. Lubing everything up and replacing shocks and all that good stuff.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aviator
I would'nt go with the spacer... better results with a crank on the torsion bars... if all you want is a mild lift... don't forget you'll need new longer shocks for anything over 1" of lift...
Why are you against the BJ spacers? Serious question BTW, not copping an attitude or anything. I was considering the spacers on my 4Runner so I could reset the t-bars back to stock (more flex, more ride comfort). I know the spacers put the CV's at that tighter angle, but I would imagine that with manual hubs the extra wear wouldn't be noticeable.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

Spacers change the geometry of the suspension and mess up how the upper and lower arms work together beside the cv stress... cranking the bars gives you the lift and once they settle no real difference to the ride [provided you install new shocks as well if you don't the stock shocks will bottom/top out before full travel is reached and the ride will be rough.]

mattk... you may need to apply a little heat to free up the torsion bar bolts... remember they've been sitting there for almost 20 yrs now...
Old 04-01-2012, 07:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Did a mexican own that before you?

Little work and it can look like this:

These tires are 33''. No lift

Last edited by ThatGuy1295; 04-02-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:04 PM

i dont get the mexican joke?
Old 04-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Contributing Member

rusty / bedless maybe? IDK either...

still except for that monster winch/cutting grill I like that bumper... winch would be more effective mounted lower more in line with frame... up high like that the load/stress geometry limits it's effectiveness... and it blocks a lot of airflow to the rad...
Old 04-01-2012, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by kingermk
I got a buddy who as the same truck and he got ether 31's or 32's on it with out doing any suspension work. But he didn't have stock rims.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i dont get the mexican joke?
The rims and tires are kinda mexican.

still except for that monster winch/cutting grill I like that bumper... winch would be more effective mounted lower more in line with frame... up high like that the load/stress geometry limits it's effectiveness... and it blocks a lot of airflow to the rad...
Ya you have to hook up to trees a little higher. Mostly I just wanted good approach angle.
Hasn't failed me yet. I welded some reinforcements from the back of the winch plate to the frame by the motor mounts. I have hit pretty on the rocks with no bending.

Quick Reply: My son's first Yota