86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

MY new toy

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY new toy

ok so last Sunday I got a ride to Chicago and bought this 86 pickup and drove it back home round trip took 12 hours.

this last week I installed a TACH and some back up lights and did a few other little things the carb needs some tweaking I got pulled over no more than two hours after getting it plated for not having a rear bumper so I bolted a 4x4 post to the back until I make the flat bed

I have a very bad habit of picking at loose things and on the hood the clear coat was coming off so I started picking witch resulted in getting a razor and peeling off the clear coat That was last night I will let the pics explain what I did today

I am going to do the roll on paint job I got the royal blue but I want navy blue but cannot find it from RustOleum I also kind of like their hunter green then I could paint the bumper safety yellow
so I am at a toss up in between the green and the royal blue
heres a link for the colors http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=130 what do you all think?
Old 09-07-2007, 10:01 PM

What are you going to do with the bed?
Old 09-07-2007, 10:52 PM

I have been looking at a few different flatbeds what ever I end up making I will have to have a ladder rack on it for work I also have entertained the idea of making the bed a dump bed.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I have that same "picking at" habbit

Truck looks like it has potential, good to hear you're still driving a yota

you guys need a rear bumper? Over here its legal for any truck to have no rear bumper.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:22 PM

Good stuff, great to see you're still with yotas.
What are the future plans?
The blue would look awsome.

Last edited by yotaduck; 09-08-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:51 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
how are your kidneys after that drive ? .. man , I'll bet with no weight on the back end , those shocks and springs dont move much .

regular cab short box ? looks like thats the wheel bace .
Old 09-08-2007, 05:50 PM

actually it drove better than my 4runner but the runner needed new rear springs

I am going to go with the royal blue I was driving the rental back today and a guy down the road has a pick up with a flat bed and the cab looks to be the hunter green I also found a pic of a toy with a cool looking flat bed that I am going to copy and then revamp to my liking heres a pic of the truck and the bed I want to fab up http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attac...1&d=1103303658
Old 09-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Looks like a good find. I like what the PO did for a bed, but a functional flaT bed with ladder rack would be cool.
How many miles/gears etc?? the usual questions...
Old 09-08-2007, 06:24 PM

I bought if from rocketman A member of this forum
It has around 30K on a rebuild oil pump needs a new seal soon it seeps a little oil
right now.
he told me he had not changed the tranny oil or diff oils.
I drained the transfer case and the oil looked new opened the fill plug for the tranny and the oil in there was clear so I have a few quarts of royal purple to return now

I got a lot of extras with the truck a locked third member header and a 2.5 cat too also got some newer drivers and pass side windows another rear sliding window a slightly used centerforce clutch (looks new) and the BFG ATs are brand new as well.
now I will have to find the time to install all of the above listed items.

truck runs good but I have to figure out why it takes about 5 to 7 cranks to start.I think the plugs have a major part to do with it the plugs in it are these
http://www.boschautoparts.com/Produc...lugs/Platinum2.

once I am done with the paint job I am going to get some ngks as of right now this truck is my only ride and it is taken apart in the garage right now I took off the fenders tonight to make it a little easier to paint them.

and with it raining on and off all day I was not able to finish sanding the roof and the back of the cab. but the rest has been primed.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
cool, a great find...TIME...never enough of that to go around...
Old 09-08-2007, 07:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool truck. I love that body style. The blue works well.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:17 PM

Update
today I finished sanding the roof and got it primed and then wet sanded the whole cab.
in the past projects I never wet sanded man it makes all the difference in the world.
mixed the paint with acetone and rolled on the first coat halfway through I figured out something important with rolling on paint let the paint set for 20 minutes then roll over it again with the same brush it smooths out the paint a lot better the thing that sucks I found this out halfway into it so I have more sanding to do in the morning.
but it is looking good beside the few bugs that got into the garage and decided to land on the hood.

I am also going to try tomorrow to track down some steel for the flat bed.
I am still not sure if I want to try to weld the bed or find someone to do the welding and I will do the pipe bending and cutting, I have thought about making up the bed as a kit the take it to a welder and have them put it together.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i used to do do paint for people in my spare time in hs. a good trick is to wet sand it really good, paint it, let it sit until its 100% dry... i let it sit in the sun all day then in the garage all night, then wet sand it again, really good... then repaint. do this maybe 4 or 5 times and you will have a really shiny glossy deep paint job from rustoleum spray paint that looks like it could have come straight from the paint shop. just be sure to put protectant and clearcoat on it, or the sun and elements will eat that paint alive.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:05 PM

well I am on coat 4 now of this long arse paint job I will either spray the 4runner or not dilute the paint.
last night I got tired of wet sanding and hitting spots of primer so I did not dilute the paint and it seemed to have less orange peel then when diluted I also found it good to have a can of spray paint in the same color to do morning touch up before setting the truck in the sun for the day.
you get better coverage then trying to brush on in thin spots.
well I hope that tonights coat will be the last coat.
the truck dose look good I have to say and I like the color but it takes for ever and painting the only source of transport was not at a good time I had to put off work for one more week.

I don't know if I will clear coat it or just wax the hell out of it considering that peeling clear coat was the start and reason for the new paint job.

heres some pics of how it looks with 3 coats

Old 09-27-2007, 04:15 PM

well heres a update lost the inter web for over a week and I got to making a flat bed and finished up the paint job I did not have my mud flaps on last week when I went on a gravel road so now I got some paint chips to take care of.
took 4 nights to make the bed and lumber rack and the bed finished out as it is now cost around 500$ for every thing and I bought a lot of junk that I will have to return.

making the lumber rack

bed frame painted with out the wood

side with bed

back with wood bed installed

I will get better pics tomorrow or on Monday going to a weekend long bachelors party in Chicago.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:32 PM

looks good, could you send me pics of how your brushguard is mounted/the brackets used to mount it?
Old 09-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

Looks great! Good job man!
Old 09-27-2007, 08:50 PM

thanks I still have to make the backer for the cab and some wood side rails that I can remove when needed.

also this was the first time using a 220v mig welder much nicer that the elcheapo 90amp arc stick welder my father has.
I am also looking into making a canvas camper cover for it that will button down on it

Last edited by CyMoN; 09-27-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:41 AM

heres some better pics of how the truck looks today

Old 10-01-2007, 06:55 AM

Good job, done for cheap too! How did you hold down that storage box...bolts through the bottom? I've got mine strapped in the back but thinking about drilling through the bottom. Looks sharp and I like the simple frame design for the bed.

Quick Reply: MY new toy