Sponsored by: DashLynx

My new 22RE

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AZ89LONGBED
TOO LATE!!!!

I don`t plan on a turbo, just a solid motor that will get at least another 154,000. There may have been cheaper ways to rebuild my motor, but since my old head was warped & the bottom end seemed in pretty rough shape
I didn`t have much choice other than to go with a new casting.

Again, in defense of LC`s prices, there rocker arm assembly was cheaper than the Toyota dealership. I could have purchased a complete Jasper longblock for around 2,000, but I didn`t want a Walmart grade motor. A friend had a used 22re with 30,000 on a rebuild, he wanted 1,000 for it, but it hadn`t run in a year and was out of a vehicle.

I have been at the mercy of several Flagstaff mechanics before and having learned my past lessons from the "tourist-trap" mechanics & machine shops here, I opted to spend a little more money on higher-end stuff rather than get royally donkey-punched again.

I had the guidance from a good friend & mechanic here who reccommended that I get all machine work done in Phoenix at a reputable shop, if I stuck with my old block, but he believed my old motor was too far gone for a rebuild.

As far as a turbo, I can still go that route although my compression is 9.5 to 1, which may be a little high for any real boost. Personally, I am just happy to be able to DRIVE MY TRUCK AGAIN!!!

Thanks to all of you who provided some input & insight, and I look forward to asking more questions about future mods.
Sorry for the hijack. You can turbo with 9.5 if you want, just dont go crazy on the boost and get good fuel managment. I have purchased from lce I just make sure that what i am getting is the best value for the money. They are very competitively price on there sds fuel management systems. There engines are a litte on the high side but are top notch. The turbo stuff and exhausts are what I think are especially high.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:16 PM

Update

Valve lash checked & adjusted, head bolts re-tourqued (barely took any! ARP head studs rock!)

576 miles on the motor so far, and it has really come alive! I still haven`t lead-footed the motor around any, but the amount of power I have now is way more fun to drive than my tired 22re.

Coming up a set of switchbacks near town I can hold 1 gear higher than I used to use, and 5th gear actually has a small amount of acceleration in it.

I`m still running my OE cat & exhaust which will be changed soon, and the factory airbox. I`ve considered trying an intake, but it is pretty dusty here in northern AZ, so I am leery of posts i`ve seen on here regarding dust in the intake, etc.

Anyways, I love my truck again, if for nothing else than to drive it & not b in the way of everyone else on the road. My butt-dyno says all of the stuff so far (header, cam, headwork) has prolly given me 25-30 HP??? Thanks again for all of the help & insight this board has provided.

Last edited by AZ89LONGBED; 11-06-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you like, and are happy, that's what counts.
if you're following the normal 'break-in' procedure and keeping out of full throttle and are still noticing more power than before, then all the better.
Sounds like you got something you'll like... until you get bigger tires.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:15 PM

Yeahp, that was my reasoning for not going to 31`s. I am thinking OEM 16" wheels sometime in the future for 235-85-r16`s...

Once I get the exhaust buttoned up and a few thousand miles on my rig, I really want to get it dynoed, for nothing else than to confirm or deny my seat-o`-the pants dyno of 25-30hp over stock.

I can always do some EFI tuning with larger TB, intake manifold, etc, but living at high altitude (+7000 feet) I don`t know how much it will really get me, if anything.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:33 PM

Nice engine!I hope you did not put those plastic chain dumpers in it...
Old 11-08-2008, 08:01 PM

I am thinking of doing the same thing to mine. Its one of the last things left to rebuild on the old 86 4Runner and it should be just as new as from the dealer haha. Send me your number via PM, have a few questions. Thanks
Old 11-09-2008, 06:11 AM

I've got engine envy!
Old 11-10-2008, 07:22 AM

Well, it hasn`t been without it`s headaches... Yesterday I discovered one of my fuel injectors is leaking gas on the fuel rail side, looks like i`ll be doing some wrenching again.

UPS just showed up with my exhaust from LC, unfortunately it snowed a couple of inches last night, and more is on the way, so I am going to have to wait until tomorrow or when the slush melts off to install it. Oh for my own garage!