Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My Gasket's Giving Me Gas! (pics/vids)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay so I did some math and I think if I pinch some penny's I can order the head mid May at the earliest and still have enough cash for the other parts I need. I started this endeavor thinking it was just a bad head gasket so that is all I had planned on purchasing along with some extra $$$$ for miscellaneous small stuff.

So this is going to throw a wrench in the gears for me but I guess I don't have a choice now do I lol. No worries I can stay busy for the next few weeks while I save up. Gonna give the guys at that website a call in the morning to see what they think and how long it will take to ship.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:56 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey man, .....that pitting/BLOWOUT looks pretty decent in size, ....both of them. Really curious what happened to produce that effect, .....but, I KNOW, I know,... that's besides the point right now, hahaha.

You can find heads for cheaper(questionable EBay heads), but I just think Tod and Ted(engnbldr) have put quite a bit into this for MANY YEARS, and they really seem to be tested. They do have a stock head, if that's what you're looking at. But wow, ...100$ more for the lil more power version?... think it out, yeah? They are REALLY good guys, super helpful, and I really recommend giving Tod a call when you're trying to make a FINAL decision.

Which head were you talking about saving up the pennies to grab by May? The Stock or Street RV?

PS> Just a thought... The Previous Owner(PO)...Might not have rebuilt so much as the guy just replaced the HG, WITHOUT repairing or replacing that head, buying some time, after he had already done the timing kit. Honestly, man,....why would someone see that kind of pitting and put that head back on there????? That's SERIOUSLY odd, if it's a ''MISTAKE'', ......very hard to believe someone could have mistakenly put that back on, ya know? If it happened since he was last in there.............. I hope those pieces slowly disintegrated, rather than POW, then blew into the cyls?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow I just replied to your PM and asked how things were going on your end... Obviously not good. Definitely (if you can) save up for a new engnbldr head. I can't wait, I'm going into the Army in a few months and I need the garage to tune up the other car for the wife before I leave. Plus, I could see the cluster f.... of all my parts being thrown into boxes by a moving company and shipped to Virginia, for me to open them a year from now to start putting it back together. Thank you, no.

Keep us all updated on your progress... BTW any tips you have, too, let me know. I'm going to be tackling mine this weekend.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:54 AM

I agree those guys really do seem to do fine work many people have recommended them not just on this site. I want the stock head only because I'm not very hard on my rig at all. For me once the engine is running smoothly I then start to look at the suspension and drive train for upgrades before I start to go for more power. Mostly I want front and rear ARB air lockers so my rig has true 4 wheel drive. Once I have that I can justify the need for more power and strength. With that said all those heads look nice...VERY NICE!!

You know to be honest I don't know how someone could miss that or see it and think that its fine but there are a lot of people like myself who don't always know what to look for.

If I had to guess what went wrong during the last build this engine had would be that the head was dropped or hit with something on accident and perhaps the piece that is missing now didn't fall off instead a hard to notice fracture was made. This would explain looking at the surface and thinking everything is fine and then go ahead with the rebuild. I think that might also explain the pitting because like you said Chef it looks as though it didn't just blow off all at once more like it was eroded away over a period of time. Too smooth of an edge looks like erosion rather than a sheering break if you know what I mean.

Well anyways I think I might have a replacement head in Vancouver WA I'm heading up there in a couple hours to check it out. Guy says he had it machine prepped to put back on his engine then decided instead to just buy a new crate engine. Says it has stock valves, springs, and retainers but no cam. Only a $100 so if it turns out to not work for me then not the biggest loss but if it doesn't work out I will be wishing I had just saved for the new head from Tod and Ted lol.

Thanks much for the concern guys, helps me a lot knowing I got support from credible people. Wish me luck I'll be in touch ASAP!
Old 04-27-2011, 04:00 AM

Oh yeah another thought I had about why this head got put back on was that the person just wanted the rig to run long enough to sell it to my dumb arse lol. I wish used car lots let you strip the engine down before buying LOL!

The only tip I have for you Badger assuming you have a good work space is to just take your time and stay organized....TAKE LOTS OF PICS! I know what its like to tear something apart only to try to put it back together at a much latter time, never fun. Also be patient with the wiring harness at least for me that was the most frustrating part (besides for finding out I need a new head).

l8tr thanks for the support and best of luck to you bud =)
Old 04-27-2011, 10:12 AM

I saw how the wiring harness ran through the intake in the beginning and decided "I ain't messin with that" right off the bat. The only wiring I've messed with are a few sensors, ground wires, and disconnected the injectors. I'd love to be able to take my intake to have it hot tanked, but time and funds don't permit. Truck ran great the way that it is so I'll fall back on "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Trust me, I've been doing my darndest to stay organized. People had been asking me "why haven't you ordered parts yet?" Well, the answer is simple. I have a 2 year old...

Weather is supposed to be on the crappy side this weekend, so it should be easier to convice the wife to stay home so I can spend a few days in the garage. I'm hoping Friday I can get all the prep work completed and get it back together Saturday.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:17 PM

I got the perfect solution for you bro let the 2 year old be your Go-For lol just don't ask for anything sharp. I'm excited for you I think once you get started and begin to see some progress it won't take you long.

I totally agree with "if it ant broke don't fix it". I wanted to clean up and hot tank my intake as well but like you my funds are short and everything ran fine besides for the head apparently lol =( I wonder if SeaFoam has a positive effect on cleaning the intake out (with engine running of course).

If anyone knows the answer to that or has an idea of how to clean the intake out without hot tanking please please post back =)

One thing I wanted to check out was getting the sludge out of my EGR system I hear that can help keep crap and crud from dirtying up the intake manifold. I must say this rebuild is mostly all new to me. What I mean to say is that I only have prior experience with carbureted small blocks and big blocks without EGR and not fuel injected engines with EGR. It's been fun for the most part I have learned a lot and I'm not even half way done.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:24 PM

I've done some minor engine work in the past. Starter, oil pump, water pump.. the usual plugs, rotor, radiator.. little crap like that. This is the first inside look I've ever had on an engine with multiple pistons.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:53 AM

Went on Craigslist Tuesday and found a head for $100 in Vancouver. I went up there and picked it up this morning before work...I think it looks like it's a good deal.

This is the head I took off

And this is the new head I picked up today.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:02 AM

Guy said he had it machined and was about to put it on his engine but ended up picking up a new crate engine all together. He said it has the stock valves, springs, retainers, but has new guides and seals....looks like he was telling the truth.

I'm not sure yet if I need to have the cam journals machined but they look clean and ready to go. Overall I think it's a good deal and what perfect timing! LOL.

One this does have me kinda nervous is how much was machined off. I can't tell and I don't know a way to find out. If anyone can tell me if there is a way to find out if this head has been machined too much please let me know it's crucial if you know what I mean.

Also what do these markings mean? And what is this huge black plug thing in the middle?
Old 05-04-2011, 01:54 AM

Any updates?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:06 AM

Good find! Looks to be in great shape. $100 sure beats $350-$450!
Old 05-07-2011, 04:28 PM

Sorry for not updating anything recently I have been super busy with work and what not. Since my last post I haven't stepped a foot into the shop but that all changes today! I'm on my way to Sears to pick up a Tap and Die set (only metric) and a large farm animal syringe for removing liquid from any tight places oh and some long Q-tips for those hard to reach places.

I saw a video the other day on youtube on how you DIY clean the fuel injectors and I really want to give this a try. Here's the link if you guys haven't seen it yet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFJlTfHyrUk

Looks cool but I don't like the use of the syringe part...I don't see why a piece of rubber hose wont work, might even be easier to use.

Okay I'm off to the store I'll be in touch l8tr.

thanks guys.