Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My Gasket's Giving Me Gas! (pics/vids)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WoooHooo! I got the wire harness out of the way and removed the lower intake without much fuss.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:09 PM

The bolts holding on the shroud that covers the exhaust manifold sheered so I soaked the manifold bolts in PB GREAT STUFF! I might let them soak for a day or two I'll come back periodically to spray more PB on them.

I hope they don't sheer when I go to take the exhaust off.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I did my HG I left the lower intake and exhaust manifold on. Made it so much easier to remove the head and put it back on. Good work so far.

If you haven't already-
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1990-1995...es/repair.html
-invaluable resource.

Yes its for the 4runner, but its pretty much the same

or

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 04-25-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:27 PM

Thank you those links are awesome! I'll dig into them a little bit more after I get some dinner in me. You are right I can see how that makes things a lot easier I'm thinking I may not even try to take the manifold off and just disconnect it at the 4 too 1 and take the manifold off with the head.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:36 PM

Okay so I have what I think may be a big problem.

I removed the head bolts in the proper order with no problem no sheering no fuss at all. I thought all was going good but when I actually took the bolts out I noticed three of them were completely coated in oil. The sound they made when I lifted them out of the head was like a gurgling/sucking sound which tells me there is a puddle of oil down in there.

Here they are I did this to keep them in order...the one's marked with an "S" (for soaked) are the bolts that were covered in oil.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:41 PM

Not sure what this means I might just be too tired and hungry to figure it out on my own but maybe you guys have an idea of whats going on. Not sure if maybe the oil got in there while I loosened the head, heck maybe I shouldn't even be worried about it.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm pretty sure thats normal. All three of the 22res I have dug into had oil/sludge on at least 4 of the head bolts and in the holes. I'm not sure what causes it, but as long as you clean it all out, it shouldnt be a problem.

I dont know if I missed it, but how many miles are on it? You might just want to replace the head bolts. From my dealership they were $63, including the fastest shipping to Fairbanks, Alaska. I can't imagine yours would be more expensive.
And a head gasket from my dealership was only $54 and they had it in stock... Just sometime to consider. I dont know where you are getting parts, but after using my dealership, parts are usually just a few dollars more than aftermarket here, and I know I'm getting TOYOTA quality

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 04-25-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:38 PM

That's good news I was really worried about it. What causes it is a mystery to me too but as long as I'm not alone I feel at ease.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:36 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Man, howzit? Great work so far, ... coming right along, eh?

Those head bolts run through Oil passages, that's why the oil... just sludge cuz you blew the HG or whatever.

That looks like an engnbldr timing kit, the steel rail/driver side looks REALLY familiar. If it's steel backed, and is in good shape, yeah, you could reuse it, as long as it's not really worn into. (I shouldn't say "engnbldr" kit, ....cuz many use Rock Products... but the Cam sprocket, guides, all that looks the same.) Not really too pricey just to be safe though, cuz you can't really find many places that will sell you just the pass. side rail if that's all you need, ya know? I think the kit is like.....85$ with a H20 pump an oil pump?

Best wishes, scribeded! lol.

PS> X2 on the OEM HGasket and new Head Bolts.....but if you're not totally rebuilding, and you really can't stretch the budget too much, then at least chase the threads really well and clean up those bolts as best as possible, yeah? OH, .....also, GET ALL THAT OIL OUT of those head bolt holes. I just used those long qtips, 2 at a time taped together, and careful not to leave a big wad of cotton in there, hahaha. Also used a medium dropper I found at the 99C store to suck all the oil out before re-installing the head bolts.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:54 PM

Yeah I was starting to wonder if this engine was recently rebuilt because the top end looks very clean under the cover and that sprocket and chain and guides look newerish. I don't have more than like 300-400 bucks to throw at this project (for the time being) so I'm a little strapped for cash. I do however plan on purchasing a Felpro head gasket set from Shucks O'rielly along with new Felpro head bolts. That is unless you advise against that brand.
Thanks for the tips on cleaning out the bolt holes before assembly I think Wallgreens sells those as well as plastic syringes. As far as replacing the h20 and oil pump I just don't have the $$ yet hopefully they can hold up until next Spring.

Just a heads up Chef I'm gona be asking you for lots of advice lol you seem to know your stuff ...and I don't (yet).
Old 04-25-2011, 09:10 PM

Ive been looking for a good set of taps and dye's again my budget isn't that big at all so I need something cheep but good enough quality for at least this job.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:45 PM

Okay so I cannot remove the camshaft sprocket bolt that hold on the sprocket itself....maybe i'm turning it the wrong way. looking at the engine i'm turning the wrench counter-clockwise.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:34 PM

If its manual put it into 5th with the hand brake on.
Then use a really big breaker bar, maybe with a pipe on it, and 2 really big friends helping you to pull it.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:39 AM

Ha so true. I finally got that damn bolt out and removed the head still clutching the exhaust manifold.......but........I might need a new head

First pic is the number two cylinder. And the second pic is the number three cylinder.

There are two spots where material is missing on this cylinder on the water jacket side of the line where the gasket is.

This is already a disaster but then there is another spot just like it on the number three cylinder. Doesn't look like is has gotten through the gasket but it was probably about to if number two hadn't already.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:44 AM

:pisse d:

I do not think that can be machined down huh?
Old 04-26-2011, 12:47 AM

Dont worry if you need a new head. Im looking for a reason to get one of engine builders new pro heads, fully assembled. I paid nearly as much to get mine recod when i did my rebuild. wish i had grabbed one then.

Last edited by Aussie22r; 04-26-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:08 AM

how much do those coast do you have a link?
Old 04-26-2011, 01:26 AM

http://www.engnbldr.com/toyota_heads.htm

Cant go wrong!
Old 04-26-2011, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Aussie22r
Those look so nice but I don;t think I can afford that much as of now...might take me a few weeks to get that kind of money =(
Old 04-26-2011, 03:13 AM

Worth it

Quick Reply: My Gasket's Giving Me Gas! (pics/vids)