Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

my $500 91 4runner 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whoooaaaa!!!!! time does fly....well I just got a different tranny and just took off the bad tranny from the 4runner...I am hope I have this vehicle running in a few days...here are some shots of the new and old tranny

com/albums/ae141/7nor0cal7/IMG00282-20100824-1104.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-24-2010, 12:54 PM

now I have a quick question...would it be more easy to put the new tranny with the torque convertor attach to the engine as it is right now or on the tranny?
Old 08-24-2010, 12:59 PM

I think you leave it on the fly wheel but not 100%!!!!

Last edited by yotamonsta-; 08-24-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:18 PM
pwd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am very jealous. If I didn't already have my 4Runner, I would easily pay $5K for that up here... as is.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:20 PM

Man looking at the pics of underneath your $500 4Runner pisses me off, that thing is mint! I wish the climate where I lived was more forgiving!

Well it looks like you have a transmission to go in but in case it doesn't work out... You can buy JDM transmissions (and engines) from JDM suppliers for pretty cheap. I don't know of a place close to you but I know of a place in Canada that sells autos with 25-35,000km on them for $400.

Can find it here:
http://www.tigerjapanese.com/index.p...mart&Itemid=26

Anyways there are so many JDM suppliers all over North America I'm sure if anyone called around they could find one pretty easy. I'd imagine transmissions for older 4runners would go cheap because they are not in high demand like stupid civic/prelude engines etc.

EDIT:
Man oh man check out this pristine 2nd Gen 4Runner that just went on ebay! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4Runn...US_Cars_Trucks

Dude wants a fortune for it but man that thing is mint, the written description is pretty hillarious too. Wish mine was in that shape..

Last edited by HighRunner; 08-24-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:25 PM

IT IS ALIVE!!!!!!!.....I finish put the tranny on my 4runner....It is a lot more easy to put the tranny with the torque convertor in it instead in the motor... the vehicle is running great but I have the 4wd light on all the time. I check all the connection and seem ok....I dont know what else do check, any suggestions?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:45 PM

See way easier with a whole other tranny

Last edited by lakota; 08-31-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:00 PM

ONE OTHER THING FLUSH THE TRANNY COOLER OR ANY LINE THAT RUNS TO THE NEW USED TRANNY FLUSH IT OUT TO GET RID OF ANY THING OR STUFF THAT COULD HAVE CAUSE THE PROBLEM IN YTHE FIRST PLACe.. hate to see a few lil gremlins in there..
Old 08-31-2010, 11:34 PM

Si Mon! well done...
Old 09-01-2010, 08:26 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587521

and

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/autocrawler/
Old 09-01-2010, 08:28 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why are vehicles with the Toyota A340H trans/t-case so gutless?
(Compared to their 5 speed counterparts with the same motor). Normally, an auto tranny both consumes power and mutiplies torque. In the case of the A340H, the power consumption is doubled by the addition of the hydraulic transfer case, which is essentially like having another automatic transmission inline. But the torque multiplication of the single torque converter isn't enough to compensate for the additional drag. A simple though exspensive solution is to replace the hydraulic chain driven transfer case with a gear driven one. Inchworm and Gearslug are some of the only vendors that make an adapter for this application. People who have performed this mod report increased mileage and performance, most likely due to the elimination of the additional drag of the hydraulic t-case. Note that the chain drive case has a 2.66 to 1 low range so going to a single stock gear drive case will lose some gear reduction.

Common issues with the A340H
Overheating at highway speeds (A/T temp light comes on). Most of the heat generated within an automatic transmission comes from the torque converter, but is virtually eliminated when the coverter is equipped with a torque converter clutch lockup. The A340 torque converter contains a lockup clutch and is of a high stall design. These features are designed to work together to increase power and improve MPG at highway speeds. The 3.0L version is a very high stall, 2800rpm. The higher the stall, the more heat is generated. It is important that the coverter stay locked up while cruising at highway speeds. The torque converter will unlock when the ECM senses that the motor is bogging down and needs the torque multiplication from the unlocked converter clutch (when locked up there is no multiplication) to keep speed, such as on a hill. Due to the narrow powerband and lethargic output of the 3.0, the TCC needs to unlock at the slightest increase in load. Add a heavy 4runner body and the problem is worse. Is most cases of overheating trans fluid, the TCC unlocks while cruising at highway speeds and does not lock back up for extended periods of time. The stock trans cooling system cannot disperse this increased amount of heat for more than a short period of time. An aftermarket 'plate and fin' style trans cooler will take care of this.

Fluid overflowing out the breather- This can be caused by several different conditions, or a combination of them.
Heat expansion due to overheating-see paragraph above.
Overfilled fluid level. Later models have a two peice dipstick tube. If the upper tube is installed incorrectly or missing bolts that fix it in place, it will not fully mate with the lower tube, causing the dipstick to sit too shallow in the pan. This can cause the transmission to be as much a 4 quarts overfilled when seen as correct on the dipstick, and is a fire hazard as the vent is near the catalytic converter.
Overfilled on purpose for high angle offroad use-don't get crazy here, one quart over will do it.

Pros and cons of Automatic transmissions in a trail rig
Personally, I feel that an auto will outperform a manual in every place offroad with one exception- when descending very steep hills or dropoffs. They do not need super low gearing to perform well, about 100 to 1 is considered by many to be optimal for rockcrawling an auto. They are much more forgiving to the rest of the driveline. They are clearly better in any situation where high wheel speeds are necessary like mud and sand. The reliability arguement can go either way. Yes a manual with a bad gear or clutch release can limp off the trail, but they are harder on the rest of drivetrain and if there is an issue with the clutch itself you're dead in the water. As long as you keep autos cool and full of clean ATF they will treat you right. One drawback is that they can't be bumpstarted. On the road, they tow better, and stop and go traffic isn't as much of a suckfest.

Auto Tranny wheeling notes-
Like said above, about 100 to 1 is optimal gearing for rockcrawling (incidentally, stock dual cases gets you right in the ballpark). Since stalling isn't an issue, the difference between stock lowrange (about 36 to 1) and something lower translates as easier throttle control/less unwanted wheelspin.

Bellhousing info-
Bellhousings for the 3VZE and 22RE can be swapped, but are specific to their respective torque converters. 22RE is about 2000rpm stall, 3VZE is 2800. There are six bolts attaching the torque converter to the flexplate. When installing a Toyota auto trans, note that one of these six bolts is different and has a small shoulder. Install this one first and it will align all the holes so you can fully tighten each one without having to turn over the motor twice.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:07 PM

well, I dont think my 4runner is gutless....it has pretty of power for me.....I did took it to a hill for a while and the a/t temp light come on...I was kinda worry about that....the thing that is bothered me is the 4wd light is on all the time...any suggestion on the light?
Old 09-02-2010, 05:34 AM

Nice write-up, lots of things I'd never considered before.

Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
There are six bolts attaching the torque converter to the flexplate. When installing a Toyota auto trans, note that one of these six bolts is different and has a small shoulder. Install this one first and it will align all the holes so you can fully tighten each one without having to turn over the motor twice.
So THAT's why the EPC specifies 5 of one bolt and 1 of another on the flywheel. I eyeballed and eyeballed and couldn't figure out where that odd bolt was supposed to go. How'd you figure that out?
Old 09-02-2010, 06:06 AM

HA if you think a TOYOTA 4runner is gutless your quite mixed up friend...
you must have tryed one that was running on one cylinder or sommething?? ..
lol THEY ARE FAR FROM GUTLESS..

I think they are best 4x4 out there
Well EXCEPT for the toyota Landcruiser of course//
but thats a whole other yota obsessiion

LONG LIVE TOYOTA

Last edited by lakota; 09-02-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:32 AM

Old 09-02-2010, 07:33 AM

here are some pics of my runner off the ramps...I am loving this thing.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:07 PM

600 bucks

i got mine for 600 bucks, its a 94 toyota 4x4 short bed 5spd with 180 000 miles brand new 31-10.50s, shocks, brakes, rotors and runs. The only bad thing is that it overheats when i use the ac, i got a new timing set coming with oil and water pump so hopefully that will fix my problems.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:27 PM

Mine was $800, but after a bit of elbow grease...

Interior is perfect, except for the common drivers seat bottom, and a couple cracks in the dash (which in florida you're just not going to find one without cracks... too much heat, too much humidity, too much sun and it seems like nobody here ever parks in a garage).

Granted, it looked nothing like this when I got it, but after reworking the engine, trans (have a spare auto 4x4 trans in my garage), making all the chrome turn flat black, replacing all the suspension, some cleaning outside, LOTS of cleaning inside, etc... Turned out real nice for a truck under $2000.
Attached Thumbnails my 0 91 4runner 4wd-runner.jpg  

Last edited by pb4ugotobed; 09-04-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:44 PM

thats true about the head ace..

man i would start by looking in in the yellow pages for a good trans shop where they actually run your tranny on a dyno to test it before they put it back in your rig.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:32 AM

hey toyota trav....do you have any pics of your 4runner....pb4ugotobed...your 4runner is nice....did you put a lift kit on it?

ok guys...show me your 4runner if you got it cheap like us?

Quick Reply: my $500 91 4runner 4wd