YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Question My 1993 toyota 4runner 4wd wont engage!!??!

I have a standard transmission. When I can shift to 4L my car feels different but the front tires dont spin and the 4wd light wont come on. 4H wont even hold in one place when i shift it. The 4wd hasent been used for a long time. Please help me out. I also dont have manual hubs.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!

Last edited by bigroy408; 07-24-2009 at 11:41 AM.
bigroy408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #2

Assuming your truck has Toyota's Automatic Disconnecting Differential, this is one of the best DIY articles on it:

http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/ar....jsp?id=399612

Retired: 1991 4Runner, 3.4 5VZFE swap, OME suspension, 31" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Pioneer head unit, JL Audio amplifier, Pioneer and Infinity speakers, XM Satellite radio
RobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
Threadstarter [OP]

Exclamation

Last edited by bigroy408; 07-24-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
Threadstarter [OP]

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobD View Post
Assuming your truck has Toyota's Automatic Disconnecting Differential, this is one of the best DIY articles on it:

http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/ar....jsp?id=399612

Hey thx for the help Rob! While i was troubleshooting i found that the line on the solenoids were clogged up by rust so i followed them and they lead to a vacume tank under the right fender and yeah it was all rusted up inside as well. If I replace it do you think this will fix my problem?
Old 07-28-2009, 01:19 AM   #5
Threadstarter [OP]

well i replaced the lines they seem to be working sucking air. but i still dont here a clank of the differential.

When I say clank I mean like a click or somthing that engages the front differential to work

Last edited by bigroy408; 07-29-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:37 PM   #6

I never heard a clank from mine.

Retired: 1991 4Runner, 3.4 5VZFE swap, OME suspension, 31" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Pioneer head unit, JL Audio amplifier, Pioneer and Infinity speakers, XM Satellite radio
Old 07-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
RMA
Contributing Member

I think not hearing a Clank Is a good thing !!!
XRC8, HM Roof rack.33x10.50,15 KM2 1" HM body lift, BJ spacers ,CB, rear disc ,lockright rear, Truetrac front,HM IFS truss,HM sliders,HM rear bumper,HM crossmember,CO2,2 batts,softopper.
My swap thread
http://www.yotatech.com/f161/1uz-fe-...0-3vze-185324/
RMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMA View Post
When I say clank I mean like a click or somthing that engages the front differential to work.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Yeah, I don't ever remember a sound from the sleeve engaging. I replaced the hubs with manual ones and have my front axle constantly engaged now, so I can't honestly remember what it sounded like.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroy408 View Post
When I say clank I mean like a click or somthing that engages the front differential to work.
As far as I know, there is a switch on the front diff and one on your transfer case. When both switches close, the light should come on on your instrument cluster indicating 4WD.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:03 AM   #11
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
LOL, When I say clank I mean like a click or somthing that engages the front differential to work
Old 07-29-2009, 08:14 AM   #12

im not sure if i have the same problem or my light is burnty out cus when i put in 4h i can hear a click come from the dash but there is no light. Havent really had a chance to wheel it yet cus ive only had it about 2 months and i have a little one who constantly needs watching. but you gotta think these light are old and them burning out ids probably quite regular
bobo jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Send a message via AIM to bigtrucknwheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobD View Post
As far as I know, there is a switch on the front diff and one on your transfer case. When both switches close, the light should come on on your instrument cluster indicating 4WD.
Correct. My plug fell out and was destroyed on the pavement, so my 4wd light didn't work lol. but I don't remember hearing the front diff engage.

Try running a vacuum line right from the manifold to the actuator. One side will engage it, the other will disengage. You got a 50/50 chance of getting it right haha. But that should slide it right in. I don't really ever recall hearing of an actuator/sleeve that has failed.

happy hunting!

'90 Pickup Std. Cab DLX. 4wd/I6/5spd. 3" BL and Tundra 17's. 7M-GE swap in progress

'84 Goldwing Aspencade GL1200. The only kind of Honda that is acceptable to own ;)

Previous Vehicles
'03 Camry LE : '97 4Runner SR5 (5 Spd/E-locked) : '87 Corolla SR5 (RWD) : '87 MR2 (BEAST :D) : '90 4Runner (4WD) : '90 Xtra Cab P/U (4WD) : '90 Std Cab P/U (4WD) : '81 Honda CX500 (Motorcycle)
bigtrucknwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to cblackard
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroy408 View Post
LOL, When I say clank I mean like a click or somthing that engages the front differential to work
Don't let the lack of noise from the front actuator lead you to believe its bad. The system is a splined sleeve that uses a "shift fork" to slide it back and forth. It has to mesh with the splines in the shaft to get the axle to lock in place so the truck may need to be rolled in order to get that to align.

Best way to know if it engages.....take it off-road try it out.
cblackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #15
Threadstarter [OP]

ok hey thanks alot guys, really helpfull! ill try these thing out. but keep throwin out Ideas, im sure other might have the same problem. thx again.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #16
Contributing Member

Send a message via MSN to Jay351
If yer vacuum parts are working (yes that thing in the wheel well is essential to the ADD front diff actuator) then move onto the wiring. IF there is no light or click then there is a wiring problem.

Make sure your wiring is good (two wires) and test the voltage with a multimeter.
Jay351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:39 PM   #17
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

Put your entire truck on jack stands or blocks. Enough to get all the tire off the ground. This will help you see if you actually have 4wd engaged (if you've fixed the problem).
I'm currently having a problem with my 4wd. I just installed a new (to me) front diff. I re-sealed the case and the actuator.
I don't have 4wd right now. I know that if the actuator fork in not in the right spot when you put it all back together, the actuator won't be able to engage the sleeve. The sleeve is too far over to the one side and/or the fork isn't on the sleeve.
Quick fix. Jack up the truck. Drain fluid. Remove four bolts holding the actuator on. Reset it and put it all back together.
As for the vaccuum lines. If they are all bolted up (bracket on the front of the front diff), one line is shorter than the other and doesn't reach the other fitting.
Stuwy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:43 PM   #18
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay351 View Post
If yer vacuum parts are working (yes that thing in the wheel well is essential to the ADD front diff actuator) then move onto the wiring. IF there is no light or click then there is a wiring problem.

Make sure your wiring is good (two wires) and test the voltage with a multimeter.
Do you have a picture of the wires? I tried to follow the one to the actuator but it go to somewhere up the engine. You said there are "two wires". Which ones are they cause i know the actuator one but not ther other one.
thx for the help.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:11 AM   #19

92 4Runner SR5 - Similar issue

There had been a whirring metal on metal zipping sound near the passenger side axel when letting off the gas at times while in 4WD. Sounded and felt as if the collar was coming unlocked but would then regain once accelerating. My guess is the collar is no longer being engaged. What peaked interest is the 4WD light illuminating on the dash and an audible click from the relay under the instrument panel indicating things are trying to function proper. After noticing the passenger side Warn premium hub was difficult to unlock I pulled it to find the clutch nut was bent up pretty good. Not certain what affect this would have on the shift fork or any other components but there were minimal metal shavings and everything looked okay after rebuilding the hub cap and putting it back in place. Uncertain to how this happened but any incite would be great. This weekend I plan to remove the skid plate, drain the diff, pull the 4 bolts from the actuator and check the collar position and potentially figure out a way to lock it or ensure it locks securely. Any ideas?

Respectfully,
Ben

PS sorry about the font earlier. Any text on a 72" LCD look larger than they appear.

Last edited by BeenYota; 03-02-2010 at 09:04 AM. Reason: font size
BeenYota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #20

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
please don't make the writing smaller...

"whirring metal on metal zipping sound near the passenger side axel"

Sounds like a worn out or dry spindle bushing to me...

gotta go get some Tylenol now...

And things with splines don't "go in or come out". They can't. they're either working or not working there is no in between. You need clutches and bands and stuff like that to be able to do that. Or else you'll be sheering teeth... Think about it...

EDIT: EDIT: " Sounded and felt as if the collar was coming unlocked but would then regain once accelerating. My guess is the collar is no longer being engaged"

Wonder if you've got a vac leak and it's loosing lock and once you gas it vac is sucking it back to lock?

Or visa versa... cant read the micro font...

"In America, we like everyone to know about the good work we're doing anonymously. " J.Leno

Quote:
[On how to succeed in business] You outwork, outthink, outscheme and outmanuever. You make no friends. You trust nobody. And you make damn sure you're the smartest guy in the room whenever the subject of money comes up.
Want BFG 35/10.50's? click here

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 03-02-2010 at 08:57 AM.
tried4x2signN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1989, 1993, 4runer, 4runner, 4wd, 4x4, 93, case, doesnt, drive, engage, solenoid, toyota, transfer, troubleshooting, wheel, work