86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Muffler thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 01:20 PM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Muffler thread

I really tried avoiding a new muffler thread.. I promise.

I had damaged my old-new muffler. I went to a local shop with good reviews after I did some research. Unfortunately the research wasn't all that much helpful because the results of which one sounds like what are all over the place.

So, after speaking with the shop guy he recommended I get he 14inch magnaflow. I told him, I don't want it to be to loud, I'm not into making a show of my car, just a good muffler that isn't restrictive .. etc.. He said I should be happy with the magnaflow 14. I also told him I want to have a turn down pipe out of the muffler, just before it goes over the axle.

Well, I don't like it. It's to loud at 2,000 rpm and then again a bit loud at 3000 rpm. In the city most of the time when the car is coasting its just around 2k rpm. loud drone. I mean, it sound good, just loud.

SO, I was thinking, fine let me get the rest of the pipe welded in, all the way to it's stock outlet location. THe shop said this should help a bit with the noise, will it? Or should I cut my losses, return the muffler to the shop for a few bucks less and get a different muffler? OR, is there another way to kill the drone?

Thanks guys!
Old 08-08-2014, 01:22 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
I have a magnaflow 14" on my 88 with the 3vz. if you want me to get an exhaust clip for you, I can do that. its extremely quiet and can barely hear it over my tires.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:29 PM

I had to google 'what is exhaust clip', thinking it is some device altering the exhaust sound. But, I aught on soon... I think.. You mean a video clip of the sound, correct? if so, PLEASE when you get a chance that would be great!

I also have the 3.0, but the way it is right now it is not quiet, especially at 2000 and 3000 rpm. So, if the addition of the tailpipe will make it quieter, then I will get it.

again. Thanks
Old 08-08-2014, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my experience, Magnaflow is the quietest muffler I know of. But it does drone at 2k RPM, no way around that. Having a full tailpipe and cat does help reduce/redirect sound.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:47 PM

Interesting, gamefreak I think the flowmaster 50 would be quieter, im trying to figure out why the shop saud the 50 wont wok.. I read a few places in general the toyota engines dont like the flowmasters..I still havent found decent tech write up to explain the differences.

Anywho, I drove it around a bit more eventually and as lon as im not at 2k rpm, Its very nice. Im gona set off all alarms in garages now. Lol. Great.

Im looking forward to the sound bite with this muffler and full tail pipe, see the diffeence.

I must say, The throttle response improved a bit. I dont feel any real power differenc tho. Ill report on MPGs soon.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:26 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If you want to quiet it down a expansion chamber behind the muffler will be a big help.

I used to make the expansion chambers or a H pipe for dual exhausts for the kiddies as to not attract notice when cruising but that was very long ago!!!

I also think the tail pipe of a stock length will help to quiet it down

I just run whatever the stock Walker or Napa calls for but then not the 3.0 or auto
Old 08-09-2014, 07:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A chambered muffler will be quieter. I only use magnaflow because they are straight through (you can look directly through them) and I didn't want to impede exhaust flow after a my turbo. In N/A situations you need the chambered muffler to keep your exhaust velocity higher or you might experience a loss a low rpm torque, and exchange it for a few unnoticeable redline horsepower.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:02 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll be getting the tail piece installed. I'm definitely not worried about the stock 3.0 moving enough air through the exhaust. lol. I have no turbos or any other mod requiring a more 'free flowing' exhaust. In fact, from the little I do know about exhaust systems, the lack of any backpressure could be detrimental to low end power. Although I don't feel this while driving. Maybe I can drive it like this for a week to compare the fuel mileage with the tail pipe on and off... hmmm
Old 08-09-2014, 08:59 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
I have a tail pipe on my magnaflow 14". i'll get a video today. its pretty quiet.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:37 PM
FGZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My experience from having a nice loudish muffler behind my 4.3 in my fullsize '93 chevy: with the exhaust dumped right after the muffler, it was drone city and would nearly make you sick on the highway. Much better when I had the exhaust shop route it on out the back.

You don't loose much by taking what you have and routing the exit fully out. If you still don't like it, start swapping out mufflers.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:39 PM

Sounds like I'll be getting the tail pipe installed. Dangit.. I like the look of it now
Old 08-11-2014, 06:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm running a fujitsubo 2.25" full stainless exhaust system designed for a civic (cut up and fit to the truck). Running stock manifold with modified a 2.25" lower end. The fujitsubo muffler is a chambered muffler. You can find similar "JDM" mufflers and systems on ebay pretty cheap. The good brands are usually double the weight and strength of a regular tin junk muffer.

This setup sounds ideal. Low noise at low throttle input. Throatty when given er some gas. No raspiness,.

Magnaflow in my experience is ok quality but weak sound. What you really want, is a FULL system with consistent and adequately sized piping that includes a cat, resonator, and chambered muffler. Straight through mufflers are always going to be noisy, especially on a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:23 AM

Well, in the long run, given the rebuilt engine holds up, I will probably get rid of the exhaust crossover and then do some sort of full exhaust system. But, I'm not to concerned about performance. The car does what I need it to do. I'm more worried about reliability and longevity.

Thanks for your input
Old 08-15-2014, 08:57 AM

Great news! With the rest of the tail pipe installed, 3.25 inch tub8ng, yhe 14 inch magnaflow has fulfilled my muffler soun fantasy! Its just right! A slight drone a1700 rpms, then nothing but goodness of engine sounds. It makes the 3.0 sound like it can do things that we all otherwise know it cant. Lol.

Thanks for everyones input
Old 01-03-2015, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My cat was glowing red after driving only 30min. I'm debating whether to gut the cat and run straight pipe with no cat or to just replace the cat? I am only concerned about performance, not sound. How will gutting the cat hurt or help the performance? Any advice? Thank you for any help!
Old 01-06-2015, 06:53 AM

There is something wrong somewhere if your cat is glowing red! Most likely the cat is shot?

Generally speaking I think removing the cat helps in 'performance'... but I really don't think these engines have much more performance in them...

Sorry, I don't know all that much about this topic to say more.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:27 AM

If your state does smog checks a missing cat is an automatic fail.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:41 AM
FGZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bswarm
If your state does smog checks a missing cat is an automatic fail.

Will they find that while performing a ... catscan?
Old 01-06-2015, 08:03 AM

There's an ebay listing for a bolt-on catless test pipe for about $60, but I'm sure an exhaust shop can make one cheaper.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the 50 series flowmaster on a 3vz on a T100 it's a great muffler. Deep like it has been mentioned it drones at 2k rpm but only if you are giving it more than 25-30% throttle. Around town it is loud but not overbearing there is no continuous drone but it might be the fact that I have a 5 Speed I know the auto like to hang out around 2-3k rpm. I would recommend it especially with a 2.5 inch axel back to a 3 inch Dc Sports tip. Here are a couple clips for sound comparisons
Toyota T100 Exhaust: http://youtu.be/NBy9iTJ8jz8
Toyota T100 Cold Start: http://youtu.be/M9w2__Peq3c
Toyota t100 Flowmaster: http://youtu.be/BQ6IoU71Ytg

Quick Reply: Muffler thread