Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

mud got me grounded.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 06:56 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The heat buildup would fry your alternator before you even got to the trail...
Old 09-30-2007, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, good to know, i was thinking something like that might happen but wasnt sure, so im glad i havnt tried that
Old 09-30-2007, 07:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
never fried an alt because of water or mud .... been through plenty of it.

Changing your driving technique to 'save' your alternator seems a bit odd to me. Maybe its because I've never seen anyone ever have one go while in the pit.... in other words never seen mud or being submerged in water ever ruin one.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:43 PM

Heh no - mud / deep water and alternators (especially those that are going) don't mix... No problems since I put in a good rebuilt, but the following pictures define the death of one

Like I said, since I put in the rebuilt (pricey rebuilt, lifetime warranty) haven't had an issue...
Old 10-01-2007, 04:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Mine has a short

My alternator's toast, in a ball of greasy oil and mud. I had it tested and Advance says that it has a short in it. Do I get a junkyard replacement or can it be rebuilt? Buying Advance's is not an option. Thanks, in advance...
Old 10-01-2007, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if u go aftermarket, buy a checker/kragen alternator. lifetime warranty
Old 10-01-2007, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So have we concluded whether submerging an Alternator in water will kill it if it's running?
Old 10-01-2007, 03:50 PM

alright, just to clear up some of this, my alternator took about 2 days to completely die.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

No, water won't kill an alternator

Today, I took my shorted out alternator to an alternator rebuilder, Chap, of Harvest, AL. He knows his stuff and has seen many more days on this earth than I can imagine. Chap said that the grease, grit, or dirt combined with the water will kill it for sure. However, water, even a fire hose spraying, on an alternator will not hurt it at all. Combine grease or dirt to the equation and you're fried! My old alternator is dead proof

My complete total for a chinese brand new alternator was $121. It's suppose to arrive tomorrow from Georgia. The Advance brand was $160 for a remanned. I'm sticking with the 60 amp and will wait to find a GM built for more power when my wallet's ready for me to and my charging system calls for it.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:13 PM

i knew it wasnt the water. it was the muddy water. lol. well. since im grounded from driving my truck and its just sitting in the driveway, im gonna jump on it and start seeing if i cant work something out.

plans for my grounding include, some sort of protection around the alternator that will still allow airflow, some sort of air intake(suggestions would be appreciated), and a nice full body wash and wax. get my ride all purty and stuff. hehehe. going to keep it out of the mud for a while too. let the parents calm down some. they arent too keen on the fact that i wanna take my new to me '04 truck off-road. they think its an on-road truck. silly parents, tacomas are for off-road. hehehe.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:16 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigWavePaul
My complete total for a chinese brand new alternator was $121. It's suppose to arrive tomorrow from Georgia. The Advance brand was $160 for a remanned. I'm sticking with the 60 amp and will wait to find a GM built for more power when my wallet's ready for me to and my charging system calls for it.
Boyle rebuilt my Toyota FACTORY alternator for $118 including shipping. It does 60A at IDLE and 130A max ... great deal, and it looked brand new when I got it back!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

More Info on Boyle

Hey?! Dang It, I knew I'd pay twice. Who's this Boyle you speak of and where can he be found?

Last edited by BigWavePaul; 10-02-2007 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:20 PM
tc
Contributing Member

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...ighlight=boyle
Old 10-01-2007, 08:25 PM

I've heard the "domestics" prevent mud into the engine bay by cutting up big, flat pieces of rubber/plastic stuff and fitting it around and under the engine bay, prevent too much mud from getting to your engine. Try?
Old 10-02-2007, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoua
I've heard the "domestics" prevent mud into the engine bay by cutting up big, flat pieces of rubber/plastic stuff and fitting it around and under the engine bay, prevent too much mud from getting to your engine. Try?
You mean like this

Anyone with a body lift should add some rubber flaps (lift lips) to cover the gap. But it all depends on how the mud/dirty water is getting to the alternator. The biggest mess in an engine bay that I've seen was from the fan blades throwing it everywhere. In that case lift lips won't stop it.

Last edited by mt_goat; 10-02-2007 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mud is bad news for the under body and engine compartment. I avoid mud whenever possible. Doing a frame-off restoration on mine has shown what a mess mud makes. It gets into the moving parts and accelerates rusting because it traps and holds water.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by dijlop
nope. theres no such thing as fun without mud. lol. anyways, its not like i can go rock crawling... florida bud. florida. we have no mountains. we barely have hills. more like mounds.
here is a pic of one of these so called mounds in florida...

we do have old mining area's that are pretty fun...

Old 10-02-2007, 07:13 AM

Whatever you do, don't creep through the mud, it's not rock crawling. Momentum is your friend, and will get you further than about anything. There is a balance of course, don't fly into it.

Get used to changing the alt. FL mud kills them. I can't count the number of times I've had mine out cause the charge/brake light decided to light up on me.
I have one from Bennet auto with the lifetime warranty and they replace it every time.

Don't take off the front skid plate, it blocks alot of mud from coming up into the engine bay. Do what you can to cover up the wheel wells. Even if you just zip tie up a cardboard 12 pack box for the day, anything will help keep it out.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Question 22RE alternators

The stock alternator on the 22RE can't be beefed up, the Boyles link above shows the 3.sl0w alternator being built for more power. The other links also show 3.sl0w alternators. The 22RE requires a new bracket to be made to use a GM alternator that is capable of much more amps. Is there a plug and play 22RE alternator that is built up to give more than 60 amps? From what I've seen, the answer is nope. My fabrication skills are so weak that they don't even register on any scale. Is there anyone that sells a 22RE bracket that is pre-fabbed so that Yota techers can run the GM makes?
Old 10-02-2007, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by BigWavePaul
The stock alternator on the 22RE can't be beefed up
Sure it can.

90 amp stator upgrade

That will do zero as far as mud protection though. Would be a good mod for rigs that don't get covered in the blackwater on a regular basis.

Quick Reply: mud got me grounded.