Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

motor bogs while driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My fuel pump wasn't bad. but it had some crappy wires that the plastic was pretty much gone off of. made the voltage drop= not enough fuel pressure under a load=bog
Old 03-22-2011, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you put any new gas in it lately, or added any fuel system cleaner, injector cleaner? Check all the wiring to your afm, injectors, O2 sensor. Rats love to chew wires, found that out on my dodge crank sensor.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:01 AM

I have brand new premium fuel with seafoam in the gas tank.

Could a vacuum leak cause this?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:30 AM

Yeah a vac leak could cause problems. get some soapy water and check your lines. How much boost are you running?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by GranVille-4crawler
Yeah a vac leak could cause problems. get some soapy water and check your lines. How much boost are you running?
Getting ready to go check for vac leaks now. I am running a stock turbo, I think boost is capped at 7psi?
Old 03-24-2011, 04:40 PM

In an effort to unfudge the vacuum lines under the hood I got lost a little bit. My 4runner is a 1988, but the motor is a 87rte. I went off of the 87 rte motor in my chiltons manual for the vacuum diagram.

This is what my chilton manual has:

I don't see anywhere around the engine any of the following:
EGR Valve
EGR Vacuum Modulator
DP
VTV

Here are a few pics of all the components around my engine that either has a vacuum line on it or some kind of vacuum port:

PIC 1
This is mounted above the power steering pump:

PIC 2
I have a BVSV with two open ports on it:

PIC 3
Throttle Body and Charcoal Canister:

PIC 4
Something on the back end of the fuel rail, not sure what it is:

PIC 5
Something to the right of the air intake manifold:
(I'm assuming is has something to do with the idle control?)

PIC 6
And one last thing on the right side of the air intake manifold near the firewall:
(It has 3 ports on it, the p/o had a boost gauge attached to one port and I pulled it off because it didn't work)

Help me figure out what lines go where. There isn't a diagram in the chiltons manual that really even comes close to the mess under my hood.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:55 PM

my 3vze bogged when i first bought it, replaced the tps (throtle position sensor) and adjusted it properly, and also ran seafoam to clean the carbon buildup and the injectors.

doing these 2 things eliminated my bogging issue

hope this helps, i know it isn't the same engine
Old 03-25-2011, 03:29 PM

I remembered that when I bought the 4runner the p/o ran a wire from the AFM to the ECU. It just dawned on me last night that I removed that wire. It was going from a brown wire with a black stripe on the AFM to the same brown and black wire to the center plug on the ECU. Out of ˟˟˟˟˟s and giggles, I re-ran that wire and now the 4runner runs great! I cannot be happier with how it performs!

I looked at the wiring diagram and there are two components that that wire talks to before going back to the ECU. It goes to the throttle position sensor and the water temp sensor. I would assume that one of those two sensors are bad and the p/o just bypassed them instead of replacing them? At least I have the problem narrowed down pretty good.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:49 PM

On the last pic with the little plastic piece that has 3 little nipples on it......If you are running it just like the pic,then that is 3 little vacuum leaks right there.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:06 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
BVSV, at least on the 22REC, goes to the Vacuum rail, (First Two pointing forward, toward the Radiator/grill.) Not sure if that's something you're looking for an answer for, ...nor if it's right for the RTE, ..... but that's where mine go, Just looked.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:08 PM

YES, as Turd said, that 3 Port Filter on the plenum... that usually feeds the Fuel Pressure Regulator-VSV on top of the valve cover(don't see it on yours), the Cruise control Vacuum line, and in my case, one get's plugged. DEFINITELY a vacuum leak, if any are left open.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:51 AM

I know it's a vacuum leak... My motor doesn't have any EGR components installed nor do I have a VSV that mounts on top of the valve covers. Without those parts I cannot do much other than cap off my vacuum ports.

The motor runs great now that I jumped that wire, I am hoping that the vacuum issues doesn't affect my gas mileage. I may just buy the EGR and VSV parts but I'm having a heck of a time finding a VSV valve at any parts stores. No one even shows one in their computers.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:52 AM

btw chef: I saw your pics in the pic thread. Sorry to hear about your yota, but glad to hear that you're okay!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:07 AM

Sounds like after all that it could be your fuel injectiors. At some point you might be better off taking it to a mechanic you trust.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by YOTABP
Sounds like after all that it could be your fuel injectiors. At some point you might be better off taking it to a mechanic you trust.
There's nothing wrong with the injectors. After jumping the AFM wire it runs great! I have this posted in the 22rtetrucks forum. A guy there said that because I have a motor, ecu, and wiring harness that came from an automatic truck, it makes sense that I had to jump that wire. That BR-B wire goes through a few things and also goes through a connector for the automatic tranny computer. I have a manual tranny in my 4runner so the AFM wasn't getting the proper power to it.

Now my main concern is that I jumped a wire that goes to the throttle position sensor. So is the TPS working properly? I would like to assume so because if it wasn't then the motor would still have noticeable and obvious issues, right?
Old 03-26-2011, 09:55 AM

Pull the TPS connector while running, and if it DOES NOT idle up, .....it's not working properly. Very easy to check. Of course, if it's WAY OUT of adjustment, I SUPPOSE(you'd have to ask 4crawler/Roger on this>) that maybe the TPS could not be engaging the IDL-E2? Anyway, pull that connector and check to see if your idle goes up.

Only thing that has me concerned with jumping wires, etc., man... well, it's that it MIGHT be possible that in doing so, you're always running in open loop... which would use up FAR more gas, etc., ya know?

PS> Thanks, very much, for the well wish'ns! lol. I'm very blessed to be alive.... and trust me, I DON'T FORGET IT nor take it for granted! hahaha.

Have a good'n,

Mark
Old 03-26-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Pull the TPS connector while running, and if it DOES NOT idle up, .....it's not working properly. Very easy to check. Of course, if it's WAY OUT of adjustment, I SUPPOSE(you'd have to ask 4crawler/Roger on this>) that maybe the TPS could not be engaging the IDL-E2? Anyway, pull that connector and check to see if your idle goes up.

Only thing that has me concerned with jumping wires, etc., man... well, it's that it MIGHT be possible that in doing so, you're always running in open loop... which would use up FAR more gas, etc., ya know?

PS> Thanks, very much, for the well wish'ns! lol. I'm very blessed to be alive.... and trust me, I DON'T FORGET IT nor take it for granted! hahaha.

Have a good'n,

Mark
I am getting some good info from a guy on 22rtetrucks forum, he's pretty smart on the wiring and just about all aspects of these rte motors. He was saying that because of how this harness is put together for an auto tranny, I'm not doing anything bad by running this wire. He also brought up that if the TPS or any other sensors on that wire weren't working I would get a code 4 or 7 for either the temp or TPS.

I'll see what I get for mileage, but I'm not expecting anything over 25mpg. Maybe I'm off even on that. This 4runner has 5 inch lift rear and 4 in front with 33's. I don't know what the gearing is, whatever comes stock on a 88 4cyl 4x4. I'm assuming 4.30? Even if I got 20 mpg I would be happy with that. The exhaust doesn't smell like I'm running rich nor does it smoke.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:09 AM

Sweet, sounds good! And yes, you'd throw a code, for sure, even by just unplugging the TPS, that would record one, eh?

Far as 25MPG? Wow, I wish! lol. I have issues though... and right now, with my 22re, fully rebuilt, I'm getting around 15.5 city/18-20HWY. GRRR! lol. Must have something wrong within my EFI system,OR,...... the machinist/builder I used just DID NOT get everything right in the rocker assembly(I have more noise in the rear/driver v-cover stud than the rest, even with brand new OEM valve Adjusting screws)...or something in the valves, etc. Even before my build, my mileage wasn't too great. So, time to start digging in myself, as well! lol.

Best wishes, and I'd LOVE to find a Turbo! Really rare!

Mark
Old 03-26-2011, 11:14 AM

Well, I guess I'll find out what I'll get for mileage. This will be my first tank of gas through it. I just filled her up yesterday afternoon
Old 03-26-2011, 11:18 AM

Yeah, trust me, from what everyone SWEARS on here, regarding their own results, lol... the average is 17-18 city and 20-22 HWY. Some claim even 26-30 MPG, ...not buying it, but what do I know? Maybe I shouldn't be so sceptical, ....but they're almost always stock motors with 3billion miles on them.... meh, whatever, lol. Yeah, post up your results, interested, SV!

Quick Reply: motor bogs while driving