86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

more rear window problems.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more rear window problems.

first off, i already did a search and didnt find anything on this. so does anybody know how to MANUALLY raise the rear window? my 89 4runner's rear window went down with the cabin switch then it stopped. tried the key also. and now it wont go up or down. i just need to manually raise the window shut so i can drive it through winter, i'll diagnose and repair it in spring.

any quick help on getting this thing (mostly) shut would be nice. thanks in advance guys.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know.....if the motor is out, I think you have to replace it before it will go up. I just took the thing to my mechanic, it's to complicated for me to figure out.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:33 AM

well i dont even know if its the motor for sure. could be a fuse, relay, corroded wires, etc. closest junkyard is 1hr away that will have something. and i go back to school monday - its supposed to snow this weekend. so im pretty screwed right now.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:49 AM

Have you taken off the trim and examined the mechanism? You can probably separate the motor from the mechanism, raise the window, and bolt the mortor back in. Although, you may find one of the wires has separated from its pin, and mearly needs to be reconnected. Sometimes it is that easy.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:52 AM

Possible ground problem. Check for corrosion around ground wire
Old 01-24-2007, 11:02 AM

Probably the relay, my window crapped out on me when I finally pulled the soft top off and put the hard top back on for winter. I pulled off the panels on the tailgate, ran wires to the motor, and used a jump pack for power (could also run them straight to the battery), the window closed nice and tight. Now I just have to either bypass or repair what I assume must be the relay since the motor is good.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:03 AM

yea i have the carpet and rear panels out indefinitly. (they're too dirty and scratched up/dented up for anything) so i can see the gears are fine but the wires are pretty corroded, ill have to check that.

Originally Posted by Photog
Have you taken off the trim and examined the mechanism? You can probably separate the motor from the mechanism, raise the window, and bolt the mortor back in.
right now that looks like thats my best option.

Last edited by gtfourdreams; 01-24-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:22 AM

same prob

i had the same problem w/my 89. take the driver side rear panel off and you will find a relay just above the inside fender well. mine was bad, yours maybe too. i finally went and searched out an "auto electrical" mechanic and he had to rewire the whole system for me. the rear window button is in a lousy place on the console. i do not like electrical work.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:32 AM

so it looks like the wires (as far as i can tell) are fine to the motor. the corodded ones are going to the defrost -thats why that isnt working neither. otherwise, when i put the key in the rear and turn it either way i do hear a click as if it is trying but its stuck. so im guessing the motor is bad, but i'll have to check the relay too.

btw, what does the relay above the driver side rear fender look like, and how do i know its bad?
Old 01-24-2007, 12:11 PM

when i was having random problems with mine i found the power wires for the window motor, cut them, and left them sticking out inside the gate. when i needed to put the window up or down I'd use my jumper cables (extremely carefully!)to get power to the wires straight from the battery. one orientation to put the window up and switch them around to get it down. I managed to do this for months without frying myself and this trick saved me a few times when I was away from home and the window went down randomly over night!
Old 01-24-2007, 01:11 PM

rear window problem

4crawler's website has shared a lot of good info on the rear window, relay and even a wiring diagram. (it's listed under "modifications") I have used his info myself and must say thank you!

Last edited by 2_86's; 01-24-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:09 PM

Beat on the motor with a rubber hammer while someone turns the key or mashes the button.If it's the motor or the relay the jarring should make it work long enough to roll up the window.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

you may want to pull the console switch and make sure its clean. mine stopped working this past summer, i tried all the other suggestions, none worked. the other week, i figured id better take the switch out and check it. the po must have spilled coffee or pop or something as the switch was stuck with all that gunk.

cleaned everything out, a little lube and all is good in toyota land once more. now, i just have to figure out how to get the gate key to put the window down.

lee
Old 01-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Quick silly question.....is your window lock button on?
Old 01-24-2007, 06:36 PM

1. no the "window lock" switch is not on.
2. no the up/down switch is not bad. and even if it was, i even went out and tried the key. same problem.
3. relay, wiring diagrams, etc. i saw those, don't have time for them. just need the stupid window to go up for now. its a temporary fix until its warmer and i can diagnose and replace parts.

thanks for all the info. i'll try beating it with a mallet first, if that doesnt work ill try to get a 9V battery and wire it up manually. worse case scenario, i'll take it apart get the window up and put the motor back in to hold it up.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:12 PM

Your problem could and probably is your window channel. I have some what the same problem. The top part of my tailgate is rusted through and has a huge hole. I took of the back panels and ran speaker wire to the motor contacts from the battery. The motor just clicked. I thought it was the motor. Order a new one from the stealership. Came brand new from toyota. Finally took off the motor. (it is only three bolts. very very easy to remove.) You will have to remove the motor to get the window up and down manually. After I had the motr out, put power to the motor just for my amusement. It works perfectly fine. From what I found out, unless the motor gets submerged in water it will last a lifetime. My problem is the window channel is completely rusted and the arms that raise and lower the window cant slide. The downside to the motor is that it turns slow and has very little torque. Since I bought the new motor I am going to put it in once I get my hold fixed. If it is your motor I have a used one for ya. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:28 PM

i have one problem with my rear window, i have a 95 Runner i just bought it a few weeks ago, its seems to really slow down near the top, i have to get someone to help it up!? my tail gate is a bit rusty near the rubber seem.

does any know if they make a Galvinized tail gate or some sort of after market gate that won't rust out? i think that would be awesome.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Endeavor
i have one problem with my rear window, i have a 95 Runner i just bought it a few weeks ago, its seems to really slow down near the top, i have to get someone to help it up!? my tail gate is a bit rusty near the rubber seem. does any know if they make a Galvinized tail gate or some sort of after market gate that won't rust out? i think that would be awesome.

I just went through this with my 92. I needed a new motor (it prob burned out from how much friction all the dirty parts were causing-it's NOT a high torque motor) and to LUBE the hell out of everything. I cleaned TONS of black crap out of the rubber tracks (ALL of them-inside gate, both on top of gate, and the ones on the 4runner body) and sprayed the crap out of them with good quality silicone spray. I took the regulator off and wire wheeled all the rust off & lubed it up REAL good. replaced motor & that thing zips up and down now! I'm making this part of my spring and fall maintenance now.

check out this:http://toyotafiberglass.com/4runner.htm

and this: (scroll down half-way)
http://toyotafiberglass.com/sheet_metal.htm

this guy is a member on here. Stuff looks great, all kinds of good ˟˟˟˟˟. I can't wait till mine starts rusting, just so I can use his stuff! If you get that fiberglass tailgate shell- PLEASE do a writeup on it, I'm so interested in seeing what all is involved in that. Living here in Upstate NY, there's nothing but rust in my toys future....

Last edited by jasonbrink; 01-24-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:22 PM

if your on a 1st gen 4runner then make sure that your bolt "A" on your hardtop is firmly fastened. In your owners manual where it tells you what bolts to take off and in what order it will show you a how to picture showing you bolt A....it hits a sensor and allows the window to work up and down. It could have just managed to get loose over time. I think it is the 3 bolt from the back on the drivers side.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:33 PM

thanks buddy you've been a HUGE! help!
Exellent info on the fiberglass products.
i'll let you know how the progress goes on the tail gate.
thanks again!
kEn.
Originally Posted by jasonbrink
I just went through this with my 92. I needed a new motor (it prob burned out from how much friction all the dirty parts were causing-it's NOT a high torque motor) and to LUBE the hell out of everything. I cleaned TONS of black crap out of the rubber tracks (ALL of them-inside gate, both on top of gate, and the ones on the 4runner body) and sprayed the crap out of them with good quality silicone spray. I took the regulator off and wire wheeled all the rust off & lubed it up REAL good. replaced motor & that thing zips up and down now! I'm making this part of my spring and fall maintenance now.

check out this:http://toyotafiberglass.com/4runner.htm

and this: (scroll down half-way)
http://toyotafiberglass.com/sheet_metal.htm

this guy is a member on here. Stuff looks great, all kinds of good ˟˟˟˟˟. I can't wait till mine starts rusting, just so I can use his stuff! If you get that fiberglass tailgate shell- PLEASE do a writeup on it, I'm so interested in seeing what all is involved in that. Living here in Upstate NY, there's nothing but rust in my toys future....

Quick Reply: more rear window problems.