86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Metal timing guides

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metal timing guides

So I know all about metal and plastic timing chain giudes I've been doing a lot of research and this is my first 22r powered vehicle it's an 86 4x4 long bed. While I was doing my research I came across a thread on pirate4x4 that was very good. It described the timing chain giuda and what it sounds like when it's failing. It's just so happens the sounds discribed were spot on with a noise my truck is making so I ordered a timing chain and guide from cns engineering. I cracked open my valve cover to investigate and the timing set looks new but it is the oem with plastic guides.

So my question is should I?
1) return the set and leave it be
2) just put it on cuz I can
3) keep it for when and if it does need replaced?

Thanks

I should also state that I don't really want to replace it because I'm lazy but I always do what's best for my vehicles. I just want this truck to be reliable for my DD and light towing and wheeling.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Save it! When the drivers side guide inevitably fails, you will be ready

Edit: Those guides can be broken on the bottom, too, which is way harder to spot. It might be busted farther down. Might be worth a closer look unless you already fully checked.

Last edited by jennygirl; 12-06-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:28 PM

Welp guess the cover is coming back off thanks man for the info. The only ones I've seen are broken off the top mount. I'll check it out.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bimmertech89
Welp guess the cover is coming back off thanks man for the info. The only ones I've seen are broken off the top mount. I'll check it out.
Yeah same here. I thought they only broke off on top until I read somewhere that they can break at the bottom, too.

Chances are it could be valves making noise. While you are in there, might as well grab the feeler gauge and check clearances if you haven't already.

When I got my 22re vehicle the valves were so out of spec it blew my mind that the thing hadn't exploded. Same deal with the 4runner that my roommate just bought two days ago. Adjusting valves can make a big difference.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have got both the metal guides in one truck and plastic in another. At first it would be easy to say that the metal ones are better and maybe they are, but the chain is still the weak link in these. When they wear out, they beat the guides and that is usually what kills the guides. If I had the metal guides, I would just keep them until the next time I needed to replace the chain and guides.

The advantage to metal guides would be that it would keep from putting all the plastic pieces in the oil pan. I have installed several chains and guides and would probably say it is 50/50 on the which ones I have installed. I am not partial to the plastic or metal.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:47 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will check the valves. This truck is cool everything works but it seems to have been neglected over the past little while. It came from the oil fields in Utah but just needs a little attention. No that it's in nv it will stop rusting at least haha
Old 12-07-2014, 04:50 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
My 87 was making the usual rattling noise. I pulled the valve cover and checked the guides. They looked fine but having been through this before (owned the truck for 22 years now) I decided it must be something I couldn't see so I ordered a new kit. When I pulled the guides they looked perfectly fine other than wear. It turned out to be the hydraulic tensioner. It got so bad that the truck wouldn't start and when it did it would backfire at times. I would have bet my life it was ignition related. So, IMHO, looking from the top doesn't necessarily give you the real picture.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Be sure to inspect the timing cover as well (if/when you pull it). When I replaced the chain & guides on my yota, found a large pice of the cover missing. The chain came loose and dug deep into parts surrounding the oil pump and on the back side of the water pump. Eventually found all missing pieces, including bits of exploded guides, on the bottom of my oil pan.