Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

MAF Conversion Mod 3.0 2nd gen

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't worry about the dyno pull. It'll be fine. Zeech. Like you never run 'er up to 5,500 at full throttle? How do you merge onto the highway? Mine has 248,000 miles on the orignal head gaskets and I don't baby the engine. It has b
Old 11-22-2005, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by leiniesred
Like you never run 'er up to 5,500 at full throttle?
actually, i haven't.

Originally Posted by leiniesred
How do you merge onto the highway?
in a word: slowly.

to each his own, of course...
Old 11-23-2005, 09:54 AM

I would be in for sure, but it sounds like this is taking a long time to develop.

You may count me in.

Friend Epic Ed refered me. Not sure how you would get a hold of all of us for payment, hopefully there is an email link somewhere on our profiles for you to contact if these are ready for sale....
Old 11-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Count me in, as wanting to buy one of these by the time it comes out... and send my wife an email telling her I will do all the honeydos if she lets me get this.

For all these people worried about testing an old motor... what's your problem? Yes, I know testing one old motors is not the most scientific approach... but consider:

They need a motor to test, one was offered. No motor = no tests = no product for YOU.

If you want to provide a better or additional motor for testing, see this post

If it finally gets to production, and it works on his motor but not on yours... well... just remember it was tweaked to motors like his, because he let them use his. This mod works on other motors it was designed for as well, so the basic mod is still a valid one. Go buy some more Seafoam.

What un-used motor are you wanting to put this thing on anyway? Most of us have 100k on our motors, and will have 200k by time this comes out (300k if you keep complaining...just kidding.)
Old 11-23-2005, 04:12 PM

Tack me onto the list of potential buyers as well, don't want to end up empty handed once it hits production. Perhaps an increased demand will give em a bit more motivation in getting this project completed
Old 11-28-2005, 06:10 PM

ok guys, I will try one more time to contact CPE and get this moving. I just emailed them, so we'll see whats happens.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by axon
ok guys, I will try one more time to contact CPE and get this moving. I just emailed them, so we'll see whats happens.
Good luck. This is the second time they have had people wanting them to make a mass air kit for a vehicle. There was a thread on turboford.org about a year ago that was very similar to this one. The list of potential buyers was ten times the size of this one and they would not do it. Even after they designed, tested and had it on a car running great, they never produced it.

I am not trying to be negative about it but I just dont see it happening for the small number of people who want it.

Are there any other Toyota truck/4Runner forums that we could point people with 3.0's to this thread. We need all the intrest we can get.

Last edited by ThomasJ; 11-29-2005 at 03:02 AM.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:51 PM

Just got and email back from CPE. Here it is:
"I do apologize we are stretched to thin here. We will have to reconsider development of this system in February. I do apologize."
I'm going to let this thread fade into the archives and if they get back to me I let you all know.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So in light of this we can basically lump CPE in with DOA as a rather shady company to avoid then right?
Old 12-07-2005, 02:50 PM

I don't know about shady. Just remember this is a new company with 4-5 guys working there. They can't devote everything to the company until it starts to make some money, have to put a roof over their head and food on the table. The kits they have done have been good so far. just my 2 cents
Old 12-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

Bummer
Old 12-07-2005, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I had a 3.0 I would start doing some research. Find out how the stock AFM works (I think it's just a potentiometer that varies voltage as the door opens) and compare that to say the hotwire MAF used in the 3.4 V6. What one would need is a translator that converts the MAF signal to a voltage signal so the stock 3vz-e ECU can read it. www.maftpro.com makes such a part for MKIII Supras and DSMs that "translates" a standard GM hotwire or MAP sensor output to a Karman-Vortex airflow reading in Hz that the AFM is expecting.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by paddlenbike
If I had a 3.0 I would start doing some research. Find out how the stock AFM works (I think it's just a potentiometer that varies voltage as the door opens) and compare that to say the hotwire MAF used in the 3.4 V6. What one would need is a translator that converts the MAF signal to a voltage signal so the stock 3vz-e ECU can read it. www.maftpro.com makes such a part for MKIII Supras and DSMs that "translates" a standard GM hotwire or MAP sensor output to a Karman-Vortex airflow reading in Hz that the AFM is expecting.
Oh it can be done! I know what everything in that VAFM does. Right now my biggest stumbling block is scraping up 200 for the controller that gadget recommended me... (i foget the name of it ill have to go digging through my PM's and email.) If I get 200 Ill go nuts working on the 3.slow to make it 3.notsoslowwithaAFM hehe

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 12-07-2005 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

I like the spirit. Don't let the dream die!

3.notsoslowwithaAFM rules!
Old 12-14-2005, 01:45 AM

Bumpin' Yota, Was it you that had a supra AFM on your truck and running? I remember sombody having one.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by ThomasJ
Bumpin' Yota, Was it you that had a supra AFM on your truck and running? I remember sombody having one.
Yes I did - I custom fabbed up an intake that looked GOOD. Then stuck a 7mge VAFM on the end, popped the lid off, leaned the holy hell out of it until the truck would run, and then took it for a sping. It ping'ed like a SOB.... So yeah need to get an external controller to manipulate the output...
Old 01-02-2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
So in light of this we can basically lump CPE in with DOA as a rather shady company to avoid then right?
Someone should tell them this is the rep they are producing for themselves. I am in if they get their act together and show some progress. I'd say this is a huge potential market especially for guys with gen 2 runners. Someone should have them post and ringin on this.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
Oh it can be done! I know what everything in that VAFM does. Right now my biggest stumbling block is scraping up 200 for the controller that gadget recommended me... (i foget the name of it ill have to go digging through my PM's and email.) If I get 200 Ill go nuts working on the 3.slow to make it 3.notsoslowwithaAFM hehe
Ok - dragging this back up - Did you ever get the controller? If 'ya don't mind post up what controller is is that you're looking at and what you're going to be modifying (the supra larger AFM or a generic hot-wire MAF like from a GM or ford) For $200 if the restriction in the flapper style afm can be removed I have to think it will free up some ponies and maybe a little fuel mileage to boot...
Old 01-05-2006, 01:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ive long wanted to bolt this

directly to my TB. I mean the bore size looks almost identical (not that you can really tell)

but like they say i have always assumed there was something more that was needed to turn the signal this puts out to what our flapper puts out. how hard can it be!
Old 01-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

CP-E is finally taking this serious! Everyone thats still interested please let them know! CLICK HERE

Quick Reply: MAF Conversion Mod 3.0 2nd gen