86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking for feedback from people who have deleted egr

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for feedback from people who have deleted egr

So many threads about delete or not to but no follow up threads of people who have done away with the egr systems. I'm looking for people who have done this on there 22re engines at least a year or more ago to get input on how things have been going since they did it. I know all about how the system works and I have my engine out and I'm trying to decide if I should remove it or not. I've only got 150k and my egr works fine but will eventually give me problems plus it does clean up the bay and make other things easier to get to when they go bad. Please only input from people who have had this done a while ago and what problems if any they incurred. If people will only post with their experiences they may be able to help others in the future make their decisions. ONLY PEOPLE WHO HAVE DONE THIS DELETION PLEASE

Last edited by urbanarcher; 02-22-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:44 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Just leave it in place and disable it, when it comes time to pass it on to the next guy they can't use it as an excuse to lower your asking price.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:21 AM

Thanks for the advise Co 94 PU but I'm not looking for suggestions there are lots of those threads already. I'm wanting to start a thread of everyone that has done this and their experience since their deletion to help me and anyone in the future make up their mind to delete or not. I'll never sell mine I'm building this thing from the ground up and will have to much time and $ to ever sell nor will I ever sell my Bronco build with the big block 460. I love my suv's with removable tops.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:24 AM

The previous owner had it blocked on my 91 pu it constantly pinged so I hooked it back up the pinging went away but seems to be more dogish
Old 02-20-2013, 09:34 AM

The Egr lowers combustion chamber temperature, so as Russmoe said it will ping at light to moderate throttle and end up burning a hole in a piston eventually.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:16 AM

You gain nothing from it, most lose mpg, and it can help destroy your engine. Yeah, sounds like a great idea!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:36 AM

I've got it still on my 1985 pickup, no problems out of it yet. I don't plan on deleting mine because, just as soon as I do, my state will start Smog testing lol
Old 02-21-2013, 12:35 PM

I appreciate the input from russmoe. It seems he is the only one understanding what this thread is supposed to be about. Lets please keep out opinions as they are like bungholes and only post if you have experience in deleting or un deleting as russmoe did. Now lets all see you the people are that got doesn't follow directions or poor reading and comprehension marks in school..lol. No wonder this country is heading in the direction it is. Not! lol.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:44 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
You sir just shot your self in the foot, how does it feel? You shouldn't attack people that are trying to help you it's foolish/ignorant behavior, ya know?

Mine is disabled not deleted for all the reasons I mentioned and a few I didn't, feel free to guess at it some if you want.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanarcher
Now lets all see you the people are that got doesn't follow directions or poor reading and comprehension marks in school..lol. No wonder this country is heading in the direction it is. Not! lol.
Oh the irony...Pot meet kettle.

The point here is most people don't delete it, because they get it. It doesen't do anything good and creates more problems then it's worth. So excluding those opnions, like you want, is like reading a book and getting mad the ending is not how you would end it.

I know you want to hear...I deleted it and got an additonal 10 MPG and 20 Hp with no problems at all. Your chasing pipe dreams...

Last edited by snobdds; 02-21-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:21 PM

No this isn't Jerry Springer you don't know what I want to hear. sit down....shut up...lol. I'm only looking at keeping soot and clogging crap from my system no more no less. I'm not running a 22re for power I have a Bronco with a 280 hp 460 and 400 ft lbs of torque for that. I'm building a smaller hunting better mpg 4runner to get into those tighter trails. How will I ever drive this manual rig with only one foot?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:32 PM

EGR that functions doesn't hurt you in any way, it's not in the way of anything, and you gain nothing but a minimal weight savings from deleting it. Keep your rig running properly and you won't have any worries about "Soot and clogging crap" but maybe once every 100,000 miles or so.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:45 PM

So your goal is to build a better mpg hunting rig, but want to do a mod that hurts mpg. Makes sense. I mean, these engines just last hundreds of thousands of miles with the egr functioning correctly, so your claims of soot and clogging crap is just crap. A properly tuned and running engine won't have those problems.

People are chiming in with the truth about what happens when you delete the egr because anyone considering doing this needs to understand the risks associated with their actions. I have seen literally dozens of threads where people are bragging that they remove their O2 sensors and their truck runs fine, and quite a few bragging about how great their truck runs with the knock sensor removed. People do stupid stuff to their vehicles all the time, and for the most part it's their problem, but you can't expect everyone else to sit back and let bad information propagate through the forum unfettered.

Are you really questioning other members reading comprehension when you can't even type in complete sentences?
Old 02-22-2013, 03:41 AM

Some people just won't accept facts, they want to be told what they want to hear.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:10 AM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
I deleted my egr on my 87 and my 94, only because they were causing problems. The 87 had a horrible backfire problem and the 94 was very sluggish and throwing a code.In both cases after I deleted the egr I bumped the timing a bit and played with the idle to avoid the pinging problems as described above. The basic rules of changing an engine is, if you change 1 thing it will affect other systems. I maybe get 1 mpg better but it is more responsive off the line etc.

So there you go there is the real world truth that you want. Next time dont be an @$$ when asking for help. You just disrespected a lot of people who know these trucks inside out and upside down, they are innovators and fabricators who advance these trucks. You needed their help not the other way around.......
Old 02-22-2013, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by bone collector
I deleted my egr on my 87 and my 94, only because they were causing problems. The 87 had a horrible backfire problem and the 94 was very sluggish and throwing a code.In both cases after I deleted the egr I bumped the timing a bit and played with the idle to avoid the pinging problems as described above. The basic rules of changing an engine is, if you change 1 thing it will affect other systems. I maybe get 1 mpg better but it is more responsive off the line etc.

So there you go there is the real world truth that you want. Next time dont be an @$$ when asking for help. You just disrespected a lot of people who know these trucks inside out and upside down, they are innovators and fabricators who advance these trucks. You needed their help not the other way around.......
Now if more people would answer like you have after reading what this thread was supposed to be about there wouldn't be all this nonsense. Timing and higher octane gas should alleviate the ping caused by higher combustion temps. all I asked at the begining was info from people who have done this. I wanted this thread to help myself and others make their decisions. If feelings were hurt they were only hurt by people who think they know it all and because they are knowledgeable about a certain things they can be arrogant. rember again at the begining I wanted this thread to be only from people who have done this. There are already countless threads out there with opinions, comments, name calling, ect.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If feelings were hurt they were only hurt by people who think they know it all and because they are knowledgeable about a certain things they can be arrogant.
By simply reading your responses, the only feelings that got hurt here seem to be yours...Just saying.

Your only going to listen to what you want to hear...so how does this help others and yourself?

Last edited by snobdds; 02-22-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:36 AM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
I appreciate the input from russmoe. It seems he is the only one understanding what this thread is supposed to be about. Lets please keep out opinions as they are like bungholes and only post if you have experience in deleting or un deleting as russmoe did. Now lets all see you the people are that got doesn't follow directions or poor reading and comprehension marks in school..lol. No wonder this country is heading in the direction it is. Not! lol.

This was the first name calling done in this thread. So maybe a little less criticism of what you think others have done to you, more responsibility for what you started......
Old 02-22-2013, 09:06 AM

For anyone new to this thread I am sorry it didn't work in getting only responses from people who have deleted there egr and their experiences. no matter how many times I state that people can't follow directions. Watch now how many will still chime in with other comments like stating how egr works by (entering an inert gas you lower combustion temps. the ping is pre detonation. adjusting timing and running high octane will help that)or how stupid I am or is that what I want to hear ect. Try pirate4x4 there is a lot less nonsense at that site.

Last edited by urbanarcher; 02-22-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:29 AM

^It's not too late to edit your posts and look like a better person. Seriously wow, for someone who wanted to start something of value to others, you have created exactly the opposite. I think every bit of feedback provided in here is useful, it's ridiculous to think that one could stifle the responses of others on the web. You actually told someone to sit down shut up as if he has no right to speak. Do you treat people like that in person?

Quick Reply: Looking for feedback from people who have deleted egr