86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lighting...Hella, Bosch or Other

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lighting...Hella, Bosch or Other

I'm sick of barely being able to see so I want to get some high performance lighting. What are people thought on these two brands? There going to be mounted on the bumper. I I am looking for a rectangle design.
At first I was set on some Hellas the 450 or 550's, but the bosch are about $80 cheaper.
I want full time extra lights, but in my research I have found the driving lights are usually set up to come on with brights, and fogs with the low beams. I want both the super brights and fog lights, so now I'm leaning towards the bosch and getting both fogs and driving lights.

Any thoughts or experience with those lites?
Old 02-16-2008, 01:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you properly adjusted your headlights, it does wonders for the stock lighting.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uhh

I don't really know what your budget is but theres a post on here about a guy that converted his stock lights on his third gen to porsche projectors and got about 4 times the light output, well not the light output so much as its just focused so much better (projector) and plus they are HID's total cost I think was around $300. You should look into that, I think its a lot better idea and you don't have to worry about having more lights on your truck. Just make sure you get the porjectors with h4 bulbs (HID and the highest type) and get the ballasts. And from there your set. You just need some high heat sealent and a dremmel to install. Good luck on your choice, but I installed driving lights etc and still am completely unsatisfied. Friend installed projectors and its a night and day difference (notice the pun on words ) but seriously thats the way to go. Don't waist time or money just go for the good stuff first.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:18 PM

here.

Heres a link btw. Forgot to post it:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/h...w-pics-133563/
Old 02-16-2008, 01:20 PM

I have adjusted my lights, but they dont seem to give enough light, ecpecially in foggy / snowy conditions.
I want to try and not go too far over $200
I will look into projectors because I have heard lots of good things about them, but I like the look of having a bumper and a roll cage with lights all over.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by 312necro213
I don't really know what your budget is but theres a post on here about a guy that converted his stock lights on his third gen to porsche projectors and got about 4 times the light output, well not the light output so much as its just focused so much better (projector) and plus they are HID's total cost I think was around $300. You should look into that, I think its a lot better idea and you don't have to worry about having more lights on your truck. Just make sure you get the porjectors with h4 bulbs (HID and the highest type) and get the ballasts. And from there your set. You just need some high heat sealent and a dremmel to install. Good luck on your choice, but I installed driving lights etc and still am completely unsatisfied. Friend installed projectors and its a night and day difference (notice the pun on words ) but seriously thats the way to go. Don't waist time or money just go for the good stuff first.
I would definitely do a projector retrofit I absolutely love it. Check out this thread for pics:

HID Bi-Xenon Retrofit

Just to correct the previous post, do NOT get an HID kit with the H4 bulbs, most OEM projectors nowadays use D2S bulbs. If you have any questions hit me up!
Old 02-16-2008, 01:29 PM

there

Well theres the guy to talk to about it. He knows his stuff, and not to knit pick but I didn't say to get a kit. Just said to make sure and get some projectors with at least h4 bulbs . Good luck, and by the way, you could set it up like this: Have those projectors and the other lights seeing as when you retrofit projectors you lose your high beams from what I understand so if you had all those other lights for high beams that would be awesome just be careful not to flash people too much :x lol.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:39 PM

So let me see if I understand this...Are projectors and modules the same thing; I have to mount them inside an enclosure like an old headlight with some mods.

Hmm starting to think some silverstars and some pod lights might do the trick.

BTW that retrofit looks awesome...too bad I dont have $600 to do something like that.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:12 PM

Not trying to correct you, just to make sure he isn't confused... H4 bulbs are halogen bulbs, and the only HID H4's available are those that come in a "kit". There aren't any projectors that would work with an H4 bulb. If you get Bi-xenon projectors (like what I have) you will NOT lose your high beams, but many projectors are low-beam only.

Not sure exactly what you are referring to when you talk about modules, but HID bulbs are more correctly called capsules. Your basic setup would include two ballasts, 2 bulbs and 2 projectors, plus a wiring harness to hook it all up. I spent around $600, but you could easily knock that down to $3-400 using different components. Heck, you could get some new headlight housings for $30 on ebay whereas mine were $180. So even with the same components I used you'd pay considerably less.

But, that said, upgrading your stock harness and getting some silverstars and driving lights will also make a huge difference over stock.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:02 PM

Here are the "modules" I was refering to

http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell..._Headlamps.jsp

Looks like I should do a little more homework before I install something I might regret.

Thanks for the help evryone.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

I have been using Hella replacement head lights on my truck for years, and have been very satisfied with them. Lead crystal lenses with a very good low beam cut off. I run PIAA extreme white (4000K) H4 lamps, and the combination is very effective.

This is a very easy project to do, as it is hardly any more than replacing your stock headlights.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:26 PM

Ok you got me interested so here it is:
Headlight assembly $32:
http://pro.tpartswarehouse.com/buy.p...ement&s=1&my=1

Projectors $58.89 each x2 is $117.78:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...spagenameZWDVW

Ballasts $74.88 each x2 is $149.76:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-01...spagenameZWDVW

Throw in at most another $30 for supplies (high heat sealent etc.) And the total comes to a grand $320 give or take a few.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:53 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by breknraj
I have been using Hella replacement head lights on my truck for years, and have been very satisfied with them. Lead crystal lenses with a very good low beam cut off. I run PIAA extreme white (4000K) H4 lamps, and the combination is very effective.

This is a very easy project to do, as it is hardly any more than replacing your stock headlights.
x2 - Hella Vision Plus housings. I had them on my '89 and they were AWESOME. If I didn't have these stupid trapezoidal POS's, that's what I would have FOR SURE.

They don't make a rectangular, but Lightforce are the only thing I will ever run now - they are AMAZING. Absolutely smoke the PIAA's I used to have.

All that said, I had the PIAA 940 on my '89 too, and they were quite nice - they combine an amber fog (sharp horizontal cutoff) with a clear driving in one housing. A little creative wiring and you can run both at the same time...

Last edited by tc; 02-17-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
can i ask why you dont just replace the bulbs to get better light? its a much better solution if you dont have a ton of money.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Factory lighting is sealed beam. You have to replace the housing to get the ability to change bulbs on their own.

If you can run some hella 500's they are great. The fogs are perfect on the roads ( I don't use them if anyone else is on the road), they fill up all the areas the stock lights miss, and will shoot light out quite far, enough to light up a 4 lane hwy and more. They will only shoot light about as far as the stockers in front of you.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get some cheap HID knockoffs so you can blind every other driver on the road!

just kidding..... I would recommend upgrading your stock lights first. Extra lights are just something else to fail, break or catch on fire. Check out roundeyes H3 conversions and then get the upgraded harness from 4crawler.com. The harness is the weak link in your stock lighting system.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:10 PM

If you're still using the original sealed-beam type lamps, first dump those and switch to a replacement Hella, Cibie, or IPF. They fit right where the old ones were and hook right up. I have the IPF's and even with stock wattage H4 bulbs it's a wide, even, bright white lo beam, and a particularly wide spreading high beam. Excellent for low-speed off highway use IMO.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:33 PM

I just ended up getting some silverstars untill I can figure out what I want to do with all these new ideas.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:10 AM

How do those work for you?
Old 02-18-2008, 04:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/200mm.asp

do a search, theres a couple of threads on here where people swapped these in. between that and an upgraded harness, and high wattage bulbs you'll be quite impressed with what you can get for under $200. 4crawler sells the upgraded harness btw

Quick Reply: Lighting...Hella, Bosch or Other