Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

License Plate / Reverse Light removal???

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
License Plate / Reverse Light removal???

Ive done a search and found a truck with a similar problem, and the solution was to pull harder... want to double check before i go and brake my lense.

I have a 1992 4runner and both license plate lights are burned out. I bought new bulbs and went to take the 2 screws out of the assembly, and it feels as though it is stuck in the center of the housing. Is there anything other then the 2 screws? i imagine there is a clip and i need to pull, but i dont know if i pull away from the car or in towards the license plate.

how to i take this off without braking anything? lol..

thanks.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maximus924
Ive done a search and found a truck with a similar problem, and the solution was to pull harder... want to double check before i go and brake my lense.

I have a 1992 4runner and both license plate lights are burned out. I bought new bulbs and went to take the 2 screws out of the assembly, and it feels as though it is stuck in the center of the housing. Is there anything other then the 2 screws? i imagine there is a clip and i need to pull, but i dont know if i pull away from the car or in towards the license plate.

how to i take this off without braking anything? lol..

thanks.

Were you not able to make out the diagrams in your service manual? I might have one here I can link you to
Old 05-22-2008, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
your service manual?
dont have a manual, thought it would be a simple solution i was overlooking.

ive seen the link and that may be helpful, thanks
Old 05-22-2008, 01:29 PM

just in case anyone runs across the same problem in their 2nd gen 4runner, I thought i'd let you know that i just chanced it and pulled...
and it worked.
there are 2 metal pins that lock in on the opposite side of the screw location holding on the other side...

basically pull the backup lights directly away from the vehicle (back) and they will pop out. it felt to me as though i was about to break something but it finally popped off and nothing was broken... heh

thanks
Old 10-18-2020, 06:26 PM

Reverse lights lens removal

Originally Posted by Maximus924
just in case anyone runs across the same problem in their 2nd gen 4runner, I thought i'd let you know that i just chanced it and pulled...
and it worked.
there are 2 metal pins that lock in on the opposite side of the screw location holding on the other side...

basically pull the backup lights directly away from the vehicle (back) and they will pop out. it felt to me as though i was about to break something but it finally popped off and nothing was broken... heh

thanks
hey buddy, glad you posted the results of your repair. I’m in the same position, really nervous about breaking something but it’s good to know the position of the locking pins on the opposite side and to just pull backwards. I’ll give it a shot, ty.