Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just Seafoamed...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Seafoamed...

1990 3.0

Well I just did it. Poured it in through the Brake booster vac line. The idle reved a little and all just like all the hundreds of posts I have read.

Thing is...after the 5min restart....not much if any white smoke. It sure does run better...but I was expecting to FOG out the entire neighborhood like everyone else says they did. Nothing.

I am just telling my self that the engine is extremely clean and didnt really need the Seafoam!

Thoughts??
Old 01-19-2008, 03:30 PM

yea when i did my 4runner same thing happened. it did a little puff when i first started it. then i reved it up and it smoked a little bit kinda looked like it was burning oil type of smoke and that was all.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:30 PM

Maybe it was. Do you use fuel with the extra detergents?
Old 01-19-2008, 03:52 PM

I've done seafoam through the induction (pvc) twice now. Both times I was expecting the youtube smokeout we've all seen, and both times I only got a quick puff for like 1 or 2 seconds and thats it. I noticed a a little difference the first time, but not the second. I also run BG44k every 4 months or so and seafoam in the oil for about 30 miles before an oil change. I'll still do it though, all this stuff should be considered normal maintenance IMHO.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:54 PM

The first time mine only smoked a little. I have done it about seven times now and can smoke a whole neighborhood. 3.4L 2000 4runner
Old 01-19-2008, 04:18 PM

how much do you put in? I was questioning if I'm simply not using enough. The second time I did use about 1/3 can and waited about 10 min. Since you smoked only a little the first time I'm also wondering if it took a couple times to work some gunk loose before getting a thorough cleaning.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by ciscojay
how much do you put in? I was questioning if I'm simply not using enough. The second time I did use about 1/3 can and waited about 10 min. Since you smoked only a little the first time I'm also wondering if it took a couple times to work some gunk loose before getting a thorough cleaning.
I use it throught the PVC also. I use about half the can and it keeps running unlike the first times I did it. When I pour it in I can see it starting to smoke already. I wait atleast five minutes then crank it up. When I do it I usually need to give it a good rev of the throttle to get the smoke coming. Also make sure its been warmed up.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did mine today, too. Poured it slowly in through the vacuum line coming off the power brake booster. It started to smoke pretty good before I even got the 3rd of a can in there. Let it rest for about 8 minutes. Started right up and smoked for a few minutes. After clearing all the smoke out, I did notice a better throttle response. The engine was sucking air in thru filter and making that noise like I haven't heard before. Plus I believe that the idle went down by 100 to 650 RPMs. On street performance is still 3.slow, though. Put a can of seafoam in a half tank of gas two weeks ago. Next is the oil. I got 200 miles till my next oil change.

Anybody ever try the seafoam tranny stuff?????
Old 01-19-2008, 05:55 PM

Im pretty sure its PCV isn't it?

Last edited by WCorbett; 01-19-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
helped my truck after i did it, now it has a jumpy idle sometimes, i sprayed down all the vaccum lines with soapy water but couldnt find anything, only does it sometimes tho so im not to worried about it
Old 01-19-2008, 10:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah, ive done it to two cars, and it smokes after i put it in, but after it sits, no luck. brake booster i have heard is safer for some reason.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:11 AM

I've used on my wife's 97 4Runner, my 90 BMW 735il, and my 2000 Chevy Silverado. All three smoked the entire neighborhood.

Last time I did the Silverado, I pulled over on the side of the expressway at night. I did the treatment then took off after sitting about 9 minutes. It was hilarious.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by iwilli1169
I've used on my wife's 97 4Runner, my 90 BMW 735il, and my 2000 Chevy Silverado. All three smoked the entire neighborhood.

Last time I did the Silverado, I pulled over on the side of the expressway at night. I did the treatment then took off after sitting about 9 minutes. It was hilarious.
That sounds kinda dangerous! My buddy and I did ours at the same time and then went down to the University of SC campus, drove in front of the entrance to a dorm building and then circled around the parking lot a few times. We had college kids yelling at us to get a tune up and that we were polluting the environment, etc. I thought it was pretty funny.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:25 AM

I did it to my '91 4Runner and it smoked quite a bit and then ran better and had better throtle response but soon after my HG blew and it still is . Actually Im not sure its blown but it sure as hell seems like it. Maybe its not related but now every morning before school I get to see my exhaust smoke like it did after seafoam
Old 01-20-2008, 09:00 AM

The slower you allow it to go in the better it works i think.Also sometimes it can foul out the plugs but that dosent happen very often. I use the same thing at work everyday and most of the time you get alot of smoke.If there isnt alot of carbon buildup though it wont be so bad.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by da92ls
The slower you allow it to go in the better it works i think.Also sometimes it can foul out the plugs but that dosent happen very often. I use the same thing at work everyday and most of the time you get alot of smoke.If there isnt alot of carbon buildup though it wont be so bad.
So are you one of those guys at a shop that charges $90 for an "induction/injection service" and bust out with the $7 can of seafoam? I saw that at an Econo Lube n Tune in Colorado Springs and was blown away, while I was waiting I saw two people buy into it...they were pushing for the sale very aggressively, I didn't say anything but I just looked at the tech with the seafoam in his hand and grinned. He could tell I knew how much they were ripping these people off...more power to 'em I guess. Easy money.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're doing it on the 3vze, you need to do it through the brake booster line. I did a treatment last night after I noticed the truck running a little sluggishly in the lower RPM's and it made a noticeable difference and it smoked quite well too. It started with the white smoke and then turned it nasty blue smoke like it has in the past.

I think I let the stuff get sucked in faster than most in here would and compared to youtube videos I've seen of different people doing the treatment. I don't do a continuous vacuum of it though, I just dip it in, a little bet gets sucked in, then pull it out, then repeat until the 3rd of a can is gone. In fact I do a third of a can in probably about a realistic 10-15 seconds (pour it into a cup so you can watch it as you suck it up) then reach around and shut 'er off quick. Start 'er up 5-10 minutes later and watch the smoke show for about 5-10 minutes.

Also, last night when I did the treatment, the truck dieseled for about 2 seconds, which usually means there is some gunk in there. When we did my brothers truck for the first time (high mileage 3.4) last year it dieseled for about 10 seconds afterwards.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have to ask, what does that do to your O2 sensor and cat? It can't be nice. I used it on my engine and noticed no difference. To be objective here, the engine had 8000 miles on it and I had just done the head gasket and cleaned everything but the intake. I later cleaned the intake (with TB cleaner and Seafoam) and the only change I noticed was my idle went up and became inconsistent. Turns out the crap in the intake was blocking the idle air control valve (?) and thus the idle had been opened up more by the previous owner to compensate. I readjusted the idle and problem was solved. Going to give Seafoam another shot sometime though. I also intend on trying "hot soaking" where you suck or mist tap water into the intake. Steam removes carbon build up. Best of all its free.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:37 PM

will seafoam through the pcv hit the IAC valve? I didn't really take note where the vacuum hose ends up. I don't think it would if you put it through the brake booster. I'm referring to a 5vz motor though.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by ciscojay
will seafoam through the pcv hit the IAC valve? I didn't really take note where the vacuum hose ends up. I don't think it would if you put it through the brake booster. I'm referring to a 5vz motor though.
I could be wrong but if my memory serves me correclty, the PCV valve hooks up to the intake manifold. If it doesn't I am pretty sure that it hooks up after the inlet for the IAC. So, I don't think it will hit the IAC. I'll double check when I get home today.