Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ITS alive! 3.0 afm mod!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
t8bird
i paid 15$ for my afm at a junkyard
olharlyman- thats how i did mine! however i did it ONLy after i needed it !

which maybe i should go over. when i put this bew afm (1990v6 camry) on my idle was very low. i tried to turn it up a bit but that didnt help. then after thinking i remembered the 4crawler tip. at first i stuck my hand in the afm and found that by moving it slightly the idle when up and so i did the adjustment. 1 click was better 2 better still and 3 same then 4 got worst so back to 3! so i may not be nessasary for all afms. i have not drilled out the hole for the idle screw on the afm yet. which also may help but its runnning smooth as silk right now
Old 07-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by swaycleveland
t8bird
i paid 15$ for my afm at a junkyard
olharlyman- thats how i did mine! however i did it ONLy after i needed it !

which maybe i should go over. when i put this bew afm (1990v6 camry) on my idle was very low. i tried to turn it up a bit but that didnt help. then after thinking i remembered the 4crawler tip. at first i stuck my hand in the afm and found that by moving it slightly the idle when up and so i did the adjustment. 1 click was better 2 better still and 3 same then 4 got worst so back to 3! so i may not be nessasary for all afms. i have not drilled out the hole for the idle screw on the afm yet. which also may help but its runnning smooth as silk right now
Cool thanks for the clarification I will keep that in mind when I install mine SATURDAY and since I have not sealed up my AFM yet I will see how it go's and make the needed adjustments if any to get it right.

With the marked wheel I can get right back to stock and play with it from there so it was a good thing to mark it in the original spot for a referance point when fine tuning.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:35 PM

hey thanks for the updates guys. still very interested!!
Old 07-03-2008, 04:38 PM

Sorry. 220 miles and 1/4 tank left. I have 32's. Used to get 250 miles with a quarter tank left.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:40 PM

damn, i only get 200 out of a full tank. does this mod make the truck run leaner?
Old 07-03-2008, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never gotten 200 out of a tank, so anything would be an improvement.
My best was 16.4 on passenger tires last year.
I went to 30 X 9.50 X 15 and got 14-15 MPG.
I recently went to 33's myself, but i have stock gears ( 4.10 ) and my last tank was 178 miles on 16.4 gals. I wish I knew the math to figure this out.

Bottom line, I am going to try this.

Any body got V6 5.29's they want to sell me?????????

Last edited by phildelfino; 07-03-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:06 PM

alright so i went to pick a part and picked up the part. went to install it, got it all in. then went adjust the click thing, this is where it all went bad. at 3 clicks mine died, so at 1 click it was best for me, but i couldnt get it to stay at 1 click. I need help on how exactly you did this.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:21 AM

duatizzle first things first and i assumed everyone already knew this but...
please make sure you have all your hoses hooked up and everything is air tight.
now duart look up farther in the thread to OLHARLEYMAN the afm adjustment is just that easy also look at 4crawler.com he goes over it very well

also THIS ADJUSTMENT IS NOT A MUST FOR ALL ITS AS NEEDED
and please im working throught this as much as everyone else is so ill report as i go

ill be filling up here soon ( we have this thing called fuell perks here in ohio giant eagle grocery store give you money off for buying groceries and i still have a bit of gas in some cans to finish off before i fill everything up. i have 1.10 off per gallon and you can fill up 30 gal max so i bring cans with me to take advantage )

also ill be testing the voltage on the o2 sensor this weekend to give some readings on that stay tuned
and if anyones running this mod on a stock truck chime in also with your report!
Old 07-04-2008, 08:39 PM

alright, I was able to adjust it. I now idle at about 850 and when in gear about 750. What I did was installed the afm from the camry, and at the same time attached a cone filter instead of going through the 4runner or camry airbox.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:39 PM

anyone know where to tap into the o2 wire at the engine module? i'm hoping to tap in a a/f gauge i have kicking around the shop just to get a general guideline of whats going on before i do the afm.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Contributing Member

Here is an update from Saturday 7-5-08 after installing my new Camry AFM. Mine is done a bit different because I had already done the Cold Air Induction mod so the rubber that fit on the the old AFM did just fine for the new one in case anyone else is thinking about going this route to set it up.

I set mine in with no adjustments to the wheel yet it was also a plug and play on the AFM connection no re-pinning anything on my 1990 3.0 and you will see that my idle is fine , so far it is purring like a kitten with a full belly of teats to choose from. I will be test driving it as soon as I get done posting this and report back on how it acts. As of right now when I put the throttle to the floor it doe's not skip a beat in the acceleration department again this is still all at idle and not under a load but I will let you all know within the hour and if I needed to adjust the wheel any.

Anyway here's a couple pictures for you all to get an idea of what I am working with.

Idle after initial start up

Looking at it set up with the cold air induction piping and rubber boot connections
Name:  DSCN3026.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  119.8 KB
Plug was a perfect fit no re-pinning any wires plug and play baby (the numbers in question are as follows on top in black it shows TOYOTA 22250-07010 the lower part in silver 197100-3690 Denso )
Name:  DSCN3027.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  105.7 KB
The fit was just like the original set up no mods needed to fit beyond what was done previously
Name:  DSCN3028.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  111.3 KB
Looking like it was meant to be there no difference from stock look except of course the cold air set up
Name:  DSCN3029.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  127.0 KB

First impressions after installing and driving

Well I took her out for about a 10 mile test drive after installing this new AFM and did notice a few things
1. I had to readjust the idle and did it with the idle screw
2. Even after adjusting the wheel a couple times I found that for my 3.0 with 236,xxx miles a 5 speed 35 x 12.5 x 15 and 5.29's the starting position on the wheel is the best for my set up
3. For those of you that have a 5 speed this is something I think you can relate to those of you with auto may not understand but when dropping a gear and losing a few rpm the lugging it hop and throttle hesitation is gone
4.Rpm's clime a lot faster and and in 4th gear 50mph is running around 26-2700 rpm a far cry better then it was running before the AFM install.

These are just the things that I have noticed in the 10 mile test I will keep updating if people are interested as the week progresses with fuel mileage and any adjustments I need or make along the way.

First adjustment to wheel was today 7-5-08 rolled the wheel 1 click clockwise from starting point also removed battery positive cable for 5 mins to reset ECU and have it relearn and adjust for the new AFM

Just let me know what you want to know and I will try my best to get you the info if I can some things for an auto not sure I will be able to relate to but I will do my best to answer your questions with the info I gather from my experances with a 5 speed.

Last edited by olharleyman; 07-05-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:20 PM

^mine looks very similar to yours. I have yet to notice any change in my mpg. At the first 8th of the tank im at 40 miles, not 90 like the original poster. I'm gonna reset the ecu and see if that does the trick
Old 07-05-2008, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THis question is directed to Ole Harley Man. In the tird picture you have shot of the AFM taken from the back looking to the grille. What are the numbers on the tag to the right of the AFM? While I was out today looking for a V6 Camry ( couldn't find one ) I noticed that all the AFM's had a tag on top. The ones I looked at today all said "22250 - can't remember the other set of #'s". I ended up checking all the 4 bangers and Previa vans, too.

Does any one know if vans came with the same engine as Camry's??

Thanks in advance for looking at the #'s and posting them. If I can find one with those #'s I am going to buy it.

Great thread, Phil
Old 07-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Duartizzle
^mine looks very similar to yours. I have yet to notice any change in my mpg. At the first 8th of the tank im at 40 miles, not 90 like the original poster. I'm gonna reset the ecu and see if that does the trick
I reset my as well let the battery undone for about 5 mins and then reset the wheel 1 click clockwise and so far after a 28 mile stop and go 75-80 top speed trip all I have noticed is that it seems to run a bit better and the idle has level out. Also the throttle response is is quicker and I can diffenetly hear the air coming in better , getting a bit better power pick up late in 4th gear and maybe a bit more in 5th but so far all I have into this is time I got the AFM free so no loss anywhere and I will be ahead if i get any kind of better fuel mileage. The shame of it is that soon as I do I will be starting my 3.4 s/ced swap anyway so if it blows now at least I have another motor to replace it

Last edited by olharleyman; 07-05-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:06 PM

duartizzle i got 90 miles after a quarter tank! not an 8th but either way 90 x 4 is 360 at empty thats pretty good out of a 3.0 that would be an average of 20 city/highway higher if you travel highway more

ohharleyman thanks for the imput! glad to see it worked out for you! like i said the middle and low power band seemed to be better. i have an auto and i could tell im sure your stick feels different but its definatly noticable!

once again we are all testing this as we go and some thing might be different for all users and setup
overall i think this mod might just prove to be something good after-all!
Old 07-05-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're gas gauge is like mine, it's going to drop like a brick once it gets below a 1/2 tank.

I want to try to convert mine to a MAF sensor, however those things are really expensive. But I bet it would help the upper rpm power a bunch.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
If you're gas gauge is like mine, it's going to drop like a brick once it gets below a 1/2 tank.

I want to try to convert mine to a MAF sensor, however those things are really expensive. But I bet it would help the upper rpm power a bunch.

X2. My fuel guage tends to go down quicker once it reaches the half empty point. I would fill it up to the top, drive at least for half the tank and then fill up again and figure out your mpg.

Im interested in this mod but Im not going to drop the cash if I cant see a definant improvement.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:30 PM

+1 on the gas gauge dropping! I know when I near the quarter tank mark it's time to think about where the cheapest gas is...

My 4runner, while still slow, runs pretty good with headers and a machined throttle body. I'm very curious about the performance gains mentioned here! If mileage goes up as well, so much the better! Right now I get a bit over 16 in town. That's getting into 5th at 40 and not trying to be first from the intersection...like that's a hard goal to reach! LOL!
Old 07-06-2008, 10:07 PM

Don't let this thread die guys. Any news since the last update? Anything negative so far? I picked up an AFM today and am hoping to put it in tomorrow after work. I got the intake hose with it as well. It's 3" at one end and 2 1/2" at the other. Looks like it will directly replace the first stock hose that comes off the AFM.

Jason
Old 07-07-2008, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Green93
Don't let this thread die guys. Any news since the last update? Anything negative so far? I picked up an AFM today and am hoping to put it in tomorrow after work. I got the intake hose with it as well. It's 3" at one end and 2 1/2" at the other. Looks like it will directly replace the first stock hose that comes off the AFM.

Jason
Little confused, are you saying the hose off of the camry will replace your current one? (the one that goes from the AFM to the intake?)

Quick Reply: ITS alive! 3.0 afm mod!