Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Interesting trouble with Timing 22re

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any vacuum leak allows unmetered air into your intake causing a lean mixture.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:20 AM

I would notice a vacuum leak while it was running though. wouldn't I?

Also it starts a lot easier if it is warmed up or just recently started.

I'm thinking that it might be the cold start injector. Is there a way to test this? Instead of just sending it in to get cleaned.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by climber87
ok...timing set and no more error codes.

I'm still having trouble starting though. I have to crank it over a bunch and it hesitates when it starts. I did the whole jumper Fp and B+ in the daig box to ensure that the fuel pump is running and it is...so thats not the problem....which rules out the COR i believe.

I feel that maybe it could have to do with my cold start injector...its the only injector that i didn't get cleaned. Is there a way to test it...like pull it out and have it inject into a cup or something?

okay i didnt read the rest of the forum but i just got done fixin mine a min ago .... brand new motor 1000 miles on it now, the other night the screw fell off my distributor, well actually i had the wrong screw in it. i fixed it that night adjusted the timing to ear. that did pretty well but it was off i bought a new battery because it would start slow cold miss out between 2000 and 3200 rpms not under load, and then you might as well not even dare tryin to start it hot it would turn over real real slow hint i bought the new battery well that didnt help so i took my marine deep cycle and put it on there no help so i took it to my friends shop tonight. 1 i warm it up. 2. set the idle to 850rpm 3. override the computer and i got my right screw for my distributor.... you need to have 2 people to do it have 1 person sit in the cab watch the check engine light it will flash when the computer is successfully overrode. if you dont check you might not have a good connection in the dia box. this is to long im cutting it short i still have a problem hot starting with time set good battery and i charged it up with a alternator checker / battery charger it only would hold 12.8 volts with out a small charge it starts perfect no matter how hot with 14.0 volts so why 22re compression hot is like 9.4 :1 alot to turn over and my alternator wasn't charging right at idle only 25% till you rev to 2000rpm it goes to 100 %. so my answer to my answer to my problem is time it right idle right and now i rev it to at least 2000 if im gonna turn it off and plan to start it again soon it give my battery that last little boost so sorry it so long but thats my solution
Old 12-18-2010, 04:44 AM

I literally just went through this same issue. My problem had exactly the same symptoms as your. Once it was running it sounded good but it was hard to start. It involved my TPS as many have told you. I got a new one and started from scratch.

I pulled my valve cover and ensured that my rocker arms for cylinder 1 were loose (this is important). The distributor has marks on the gear to ensure that the rotor is at 12 o'clock upon insertion. Just make sure that your bolt lines up as close to the middle of the slot on the distributor so you have equal play each direction. Then after installing the pieces I took off to do this I ensured my TPS was adjusted properly and then jumpered the terminals as required to set the base ignition. Once that was at 5 degrees dead-on I pull the jumper and the timing has been perfect.

I had to do all this becasue when I originally set it I thought it was off a tooth too. But pulling and replacing seemed to never improve the start-up. Start over setting the timing and again like everyone said adjust your TPS to specs and ensure your idle is around 750 rpm. The more advanced your idle is the more advance your timing will appear... Good luck!
Old 12-24-2010, 09:42 AM

22RE Timing

Hi, Do you put the drilled mark on the distributor gear at 12 o'clock position while inserting distributor? If so it will move to te left when fully inserted.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:22 AM

Yes, I did.