86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help with bigger brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 11:55 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I think you will be ok I tapped quite a few in over the years.

Although it does make sense to seat the race and bearing together . I would be worried about getting it crooked the way my luck goes at times.

I have never used a torque wrench on those bolts I just run them in with the 1/2" impact.

Was the threads on the bolt or the hole damaged .

Maybe it was twisted a little breaking it loose . When I can I use new hardware.

Do you have a drill press I would not want to drill it out by hand.

Good luck
Old 09-08-2014, 09:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok guys I've been slowly - I mean slowly workin on this thing and Im almost done with the entire brake job all the way around. I got bigger fj60 landcruiser wheel cylinders and new shoes that Ive been trying to put in, but holy crap I can not get the freshly turned drum back on. Ive cleaned everything and put the new shoes back on (everything looks good compared to the other side which I havent touched yet). the star adjuster is adjusted down, but not all the way because the shoes wont come in any more and its started to just dangle. The only thing I can think of is compressing the new wheel cylinder pistons to get a little more room, but I'm not sure if that is ok or not.

any advice?
Old 09-09-2014, 08:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Loosen the bleeder screw and compress the shoes as much as you can.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:34 AM

Ok thanks, I just wasnt sure if it was like a caliper in that way and didnt want to bust my new wheel cylinders.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:48 PM

Lawdy lawdy I need a 40.

I can't get my drum back on the shoes with new wheel cylinders from a fj60. I Compressed them but it is still not enough room for the drum to go back over the shoes. Is this supposed to be a bolt on mod? I'm thinking i might need to cut off part of the shoes in order to get the drum to fit.

Anybody experience this? I'm getting tired of banging on these shoes with a rubber mallet.

Maybe I got the wrong wheel cylinders? Here are pics:

Name:  imagejpg2_zps35eaee86.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  84.8 KB

Here's the part number
Name:  imagejpg3_zps5a713852.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  83.3 KB

And for good measure
Name:  imagejpg1_zpsa495e917.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  78.4 KB
Old 10-02-2014, 07:22 AM

I finished my brake job finally... It took me long enough, but the result is great! From the original brakes the upgraded ones are so much nicer - I dont know if thats because one caliper was shot and leaking and barely stopped. I cant really compare to stock because my brakes never worked well since Ive had the truck.

Also replacing the wheel cylinders and master/booster feels great. I had a leak with a cross threaded line that gave me some trouble and it took FOOOOOREEVER to bleed (I bench bled the master) but eventually got the pedal nice and hard. I wasnt able to use the landcruiser FJ60 wheel cylinders because they wouldnt fit inside my drums even when compressed, I think I may have had to cut the shoes down to accommodate them. I didnt want to mess with that since Im a newb and didnt want to compromise my brakes in any way so I returned them for the stock wheel cylinders.

onto the next project
Old 10-02-2014, 09:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Congratulations on your brake upgrade project, and trust me there is a big difference between the original brakes and the 2nd. gen 4runner brake upgrade.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AdmiralYoda
Let us know how it turns out. I bought 96 T100 calipers, rotors, pads, master cylinder, and wheel cylinders. I replaced the rubber lines as well. While I was at it I rebuilt the rear brakes.

I got a dual diaphragm booster from ebay out of a 96 T100 too. Lastly, I ditched the LSPV in favor of a manual proportioning valve.

My brakes work awesome now. Almost too awesome. I can lock up all 4 tires on command and it doesn't take much pressure at all to stop.

My wife has a newish Nissan Versa and I used to think the brakes were awesome in that car compared to all the other vehicles I had driven in the past few years....

Now when I drive her car after drving my 4Runner I feel like her brakes are absolute crap!
you said you got a dual diaphram brake booster from a 96 t100 , did you have any issues clearing the steering rod ? it bolted right in ? i heard they are bigger then the 1st gen boosters , reason i ask is i have the 1 1/16" bore master cylinder and need to use the dual diaphram brake booster .
Old 11-04-2014, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clok
you said you got a dual diaphram brake booster from a 96 t100 , did you have any issues clearing the steering rod ? it bolted right in ? i heard they are bigger then the 1st gen boosters , reason i ask is i have the 1 1/16" bore master cylinder and need to use the dual diaphram brake booster .
Not a single problem. I don't remember how much clearance but it is more than enough that I didn't even take notice....its not even close.

Let us know how the 1-1/16" master cylinder works out. I have the standard 1" out of the T100 and the pedal doesn't travel much. Its not firm either, just right. Kinda feels like sports car brakes.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AdmiralYoda
Not a single problem. I don't remember how much clearance but it is more than enough that I didn't even take notice....its not even close.

Let us know how the 1-1/16" master cylinder works out. I have the standard 1" out of the T100 and the pedal doesn't travel much. Its not firm either, just right. Kinda feels like sports car brakes.
Nice and great to hear it fit , yeah the 1 1/16 bore mc is slightly larger then a 1" bore mc cause it's for a runner with 4 wheel disk brakes with abs but has only two ports and the reservoir and plug for the warning light. So should be ok. I really hope