86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

h4 ebay conversion repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:51 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
h4 ebay conversion repair

Yeah, yeah, yeah you get what you pay, I couldn't justify the big dollar kits without knowing the difference firsthand. Well for $24 shipped was worth the try so what the hell.

Bulbs that came with the set up kinda sucked but $20 for a set of Sylavania Ultravisions can fix that. All was well and I was more than happy with the set up, hell for the gains from the big dollar kits were this good I could now justify the cash. Well a sledding/tubing/ wheeling trip later and crack the driverside lense had a huge crack, BOB SAGET!!! I hate to eat crow so I used when nothing came back I reworded my search and came back with a camaro/firebird forumn that a member explained how he used the lense from a sealed beam to fix a conversion kit thats what I need and I had a spare sealed beam so viola, I did just what he said and smash the damn thing broke. Now I really have a tendency not to give up went to Wal-mart and got two sealed beams for $15 total w/tax.

I figured I just didn't listen to the little voice in my head on the first attempt that broke. I got the heat gun fired up and well a long time later I was breaking glass all over again but like us humans with above toaster oven intelligence I this time had the bevel side of the chisel facing the scrap peice of glass so I saved the lense!! So awesome. The Conversion assembly lense being already cracked just needed to be well heated, the lense as the backing is plastic. As the glass and glue warmed I was able to cut the the peices free. Sweet now clean the mismatched mating surfaces of lense and housing. Some Windex, papertowels, and elbow grease to clean innerside of lense and reflective part of housing. A heavy bead of Permatex and ta daa, all better.

Well I really got tired of the heat gun and along time method, so once again the learning curve kicked in and I turned the oven 400* for 10-15min did the trick. One tap with the chisel, bevel facing discard side, and I had a pretty 2 perfect peices of a sealed beam in my welding gloved hands. Well the other H4 conversion assembly was intact so this made disassembly very difficult. So I carefully enclosed it in card board proceeded to remedy the intact lense issue. It was now possible to continue the teardown.

Well I have invested $59 dollars in may conversion setup. Well more than I intitially planned on paying. Time will tell if this is worth while. I only did this write up becuase I couldn't find anything on sealed beam disassembly on YT and with the recent post of E-Bay H$ conversion I have seen well someone else might benefit from it.

Last edited by muddpigg; 01-02-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
BOB SAGET!!!

lol