The GF rolled my Runner!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 06:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i would do a body swap with a xtra cab taco
Old 08-08-2011, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SigEp4Runner
Yeah, I would buy them again. They don't look as aggressive as most would like, but they have got me through everything. ....
Not to turn this into a dura-trac thread, but how's your mpg with them? Mine goes way down between 32" BFG A/T's and 31" Duratracs - BUT I run them as snow tires so not only are they studded, but I'm on Winter gas too. So it's hard to get an accurate read. Still - 22mpg on summers vs 18mpg on winters is a good jump.

RE:Insurance Buyback-
Thats the tough thing about a toyota - KBB and NADA almost never list the value for the old ones as high as most people in the market are willing to pay. What would you pay for a clean, rust free, stock 1985 pickup? According to NADA 'clean retail' is $2600. But we'd all pay 2 or 3 times that for one if we had the money and if they existed. Everyone thinks their rig is the best vehicle ever made, but the thing about toyota truck/runner owners is that ours actually are. And unfortunately you get screwed when insurance gets involved.

Last edited by vermontoyota; 08-08-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:52 AM

I think i got screwed! they based it off blue book value then continued to ding me for every little blemish. the only thing that helped me was i could prove all the engine work i had done. so they marked my engine as in better then stock condition. so when all was said and done i took $2300. they originally offered $1700. i could have bought it back for $680 but I found a '84.

my girlfriend missed over a month of work and is still having pain in her neck and back. the lawyer is talking large settlement. if she hasn't gotten a lawyer i would recommend it. if you would like the info on the attorney that we are using he's down on sandy and like 25th i think. pm me if you would like his name and number.

Last edited by Lummpus; 08-08-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:54 AM

The only problem with the injury lawyer and all that is that my insurance is covering up to 15000 worth of medical. So if she takes it to court I think it would be against my insurance not the other guys. I don't know how that would play out and she isn't in that much pain so I don't k ow if it would be worth it. The only other thing is she just got promoted so I don't know if she wants to miss any work and I'm sure if she were to claim work loss or injury she wouldn't be able to work or else it would look weird.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:16 PM

what your talking about is your pip(personal injury protection) coverage. that's something that we are required to carry here in Oregon. what they do is your insurance company pays you while the claim is going on and then they bill the other persons insurance. your insurance isn't affected at all. I was against the lawyer thing at first also. but now that I have talked to him I'm glad I did. I'll PM you my attorneys info in case you change your mind.

Glad to hear she isn't hurting to much. shes lucky it could have been a lot worse.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:27 PM

Lummpus - thanks a lot man, I'll look into the pm you sent. Maybe ill give the attorny a call to see if there is anything I should do to make sure my gf is taken care of.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Updates? Slap a rear window in it
Old 08-15-2011, 12:28 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Glad everyone's ok! So sorry, man...but glad some things are brewing up... Too bad on the Straight Axle getting snagged! Keep hunting, right?
Old 08-15-2011, 05:35 AM

How do we delete that last spam post??

As for updates, I still havnt heard from the insurance. Hopefully they will have an offer for me today. My GF was talking to her co-worker who recently got hit in her 91 and was offered blue book on it, she gathered some adds for the same vehicle in the area and sent them over to the insurance. The insurance then took the average and offered her that, so I went and got some adds together and have them ready. The average is $2990 without any upgrades included. I also put together a list of stuff I've done or have added to the rig. Hopefully I'll be looking at the $3000 mark.

I've been searching and there are a lot of 84-85 runners popping up in nice condition. Hopefully I'll get lucky and have one for the dd and the 91 for the project.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:21 AM

I love the 84 I picked up! I miss my turning radius that my 91 had though.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:01 PM

Good news! They offered me $3000 right off the bat. They're going to let me know how much its going to cost to buy it back after I let them know that I will accept the offer tomorrow. I'm hoping its around $500.

I've been looking at an 84 4runner that looks pretty nice with a few minor problems. Hopefully the owner gets back to me so I can go take a look at it.

As for the 91 I'll have to pick it up and have the windshield replaced right away and then go buy a rear window and new door.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:51 PM

Cool

SAS and cage interior of 91 then wheel it till something breaks then fix it and do it again. But get 84 as daily driver/toy and throw 4" lift and 33's, loved 1st gen runner I had but it was a 86 with IFS. Love to find a Solid Axle runner. There sweet!!!
Old 08-17-2011, 04:05 PM

Well some more good news and some semi bad news.

Good News:
I am getting the car back along with $2800! Talked them into selling the runner back for $200, it started out at $800. The thing also ran like the day I bought it when I went to start it today. It didn't even smoke that bad either, most of the oil must have settled after sitting for two weeks.

Semi Bad News:
The windshield frame is bent in on the passenger side, so I'm gonna have to figure out how to straighten it out. I'm gonna have to get a new windshield in this thing before I get it to my dads shop which is 4 hours away. I am thinking about getting a cheap hydraulic body puller to push the frame out, but I don't know how I'm going to know if its good enough for a new window to go in??? Anyone have any experience fixing a windshield frame? I've tried searching, but I always end up getting Frame straightening rather than windshield frame. I also found a thread with windshield frame dimensions out of the 88 FSM, but I couldn't find it in the FSM for my runner?

I am now heading to Vatozone to get some oil, powersteering fluid (i mean ATF), and coolant. I am also going to stop by cheapo harbor freight to pick up the body puller. I may have to see about getting a window from the u pull it so I can make sure I get the frame straight. I don't really want to have to install it my self, but there isn't really a better time to try and tackle it hell I might even save my self some more money.

Last edited by SigEp4Runner; 08-17-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:15 PM

Glad to hear what you got out of it, and that you got it back so cheap! Keep us posted on what happens with it.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:57 AM

Windshield install isn't to bad, just make sure you got a buddy or 2 to help and have the big suction cups. 2 extra sets of hands is best. Makes it alot easier. Get a good glue too
Old 08-19-2011, 06:25 AM

I drove the beast home last night, I felt like I was driving the car from Tommy boy. I had so many people staring, especially for the first five minutes when the thing was spewing a thick white cloud of smoke. The cloud was so thick that my GF had to follow me from 100' away because she couldn't see through the smoke. I also found a guy near me parting out a 4Runner, he is selling me the fender, door, rear window and windshield for $200. So after it's all said and done I'll have only paid $500 to get this thing back and drivable. I'll be working on getting the parts on and windshield in this weekend, then I need to figure out how to spend the $2500 left over when the check arrives!!!!
Old 08-19-2011, 06:36 AM

Dang. That's some luck. Starts out bad but turn good. That's awesome. Have fun rebuilding. Remember fix it wheel it break it repeat
Old 08-19-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by dsal_86Yota
Dang. That's some luck. Starts out bad but turn good. That's awesome. Have fun rebuilding. Remember fix it wheel it break it repeat
The bottle says rinse and repeat, but how many times should I repeat? Haha
Old 08-19-2011, 06:49 AM

Its a yota, so as many times as you want lol
Old 08-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Glad to see you are going to save the runner. I think it could be a fun experience and you did it yourself. Not like you are going to make it any worse, so that will take some pressure off. Good luck and looking forward to the rebuild.

Quick Reply: The GF rolled my Runner!