Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A few new problems. Tranny, Exhaust indications?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few new problems. Tranny, Exhaust indications?

Alright, so I'm pretty new to this truck, still learning everything as I go. I know already, that there is a tooth chipped out of one of the spider gears of this truck. What that means, or where that spider gear is, I have no idea. Lol so if someone could tell me, that would be awesome.

I ran into a new problem today with the tranny. now It probably needs a good transmission flush/cleaning, but I'll go ahead and mention the problem anyway. I went to back it out of my garage today (It's been sitting for about 5 days) and it started up just fine, but when I went to pull it out of first and into neutral for a second, it took some good effort to get it to move. And then when I went to put it in reverse the gears would grind. No matter what I tried. I even had a relative of mine try to put it in reverse (she's had a lot more manual experience) and everytime she tried, the gears would grind, so...I pushed it out haha lol anyway. I think this is maybe a problem from one of the spider gears? The truck was sitting for 2-3 years before I got it just a few months ago. So I'm sure the transmission needs to be flushed.

My next question...I already know I am going to replace my exhaust and such, but I'm worried about something being wrong with my engine. There's an awful lot of what looks like simple steam coming out of my tail pipe. I mean it's a little brisk here, but no where near THAT cold. Not to mention, it doesn't dissappate VERY quickly. It lingers for just a second before disappearing. Plus there's a really heavy exhaust smell. now there's a hole rusted into my canister/exhaust can thing, whatever you call it, so I think that's probably the cause?

Any sort of help, and any other things i should take a peek into would be awesome, thanks for the help so far guys. This forum has been invaluable to me in the past 6 months.