Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

engine stumbles while driving..

Old 12-13-2007, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine stumbles while driving..

1994 toyota pickup v6. While driving my engine will bog for a split second. It occurs randomly while driving. Most often in 5th gear on the freeway. Any suggestions or diagnosis on this problem? Thanks!
Old 12-14-2007, 04:59 AM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I am having a similar issue, but it happens more than just in 5th gear on highway, I have a thread called tach signal and surge and rough idle questions. i have done a bunch of things, and have not gotten to the bottom of my problem yet. my issues started out like yours, and progressively got worse.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:17 AM

i guess no one knows the solution to this problem
Old 12-20-2007, 09:35 AM

I was having a similar problem about 4 to 5 months ago. Then the engine stopped (on a trail) and had a hard time running. I had to have it towed back. It turned out to be a bad pickup coil in the distributor. The only fix was to replace the distributor. If you have the FSM, you might want to follow the trouble shooting procedures for the distributor. It may help. Testing the coils is an easy resisitance check, but it only may be out of spec intermittently. The coils I am referring to are sensors that help determine ignition timing. If they are not functioning properly, the ignition will not fire properly.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:06 AM

I had a similar problem a while back. Except I had no warning, after taking it to a hand wash where i foolishly used the "engine cleaner" to clean my then completely caked engine. This was on the way back from a seriously muddy wheelin trip where I fried my alternator. Then, 100 yards from my house she began to bog, then she died all together.

I got a buddy to tow me the 100 yards to go to my house.

I didnt even touch it for the rest of the day, as I suspected the "engine cleaner" and I wanted to let it dry out.

Next day, started up fine(with a jump), and ran fine.

It ran perfect for 5 months until last week when it began to "bog" or "hiccup" while climbing a hill, the engine light also came on briefly. Then it just stopped and continued running fine.

Its damn worrying.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:33 AM
"pete f passed away quietly in his sleep on July 13, 2008

Originally Posted by chugs
1994 toyota pickup v6. While driving my engine will bog for a split second. It occurs randomly while driving. Most often in 5th gear on the freeway. Any suggestions or diagnosis on this problem? Thanks!
My truck has the same problem although It hasn't ran since 12/3. I had a no spark condition I'm still addressing after changing just about everything in ignition system. I suspect my distributor(I put a new one in)caused the problem. Pick-up coil in distributor was shot. I'm now waiting for a new ignition switch it's supposed to be here tomorrow . I'll post if that fixes my bog or miss.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:05 PM

solve stumlbing issue, change fuel filter and runs fine now, except, now there is a new issue....while driving there is a sudden loss of power, rpms drop all the way down, engine turns off, attempt to give it more gas to pick up engine speed, and no response, engine shutoffs, i have to turn key and start it back up. This issue occurs out of nowhere when driving sometimes. I'm thinking about changing the fuel pump. Any suggestions?
Old 02-10-2008, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how cold is it? A friend of mine had a cadillac that would do that when it was below freezing, he had water in the gas and it would freeze.

Other than that fuel pump sounds like a good place to look.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:04 PM

i live in central cal, it does not get below freezing here....
Old 02-11-2008, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by pete f
My truck has the same problem although It hasn't ran since 12/3. I had a no spark condition I'm still addressing after changing just about everything in ignition system. I suspect my distributor(I put a new one in)caused the problem. Pick-up coil in distributor was shot. I'm now waiting for a new ignition switch it's supposed to be here tomorrow . I'll post if that fixes my bog or miss.
I posted that message on Christmas day. It took me until the middle of January to fix the problem.I'm pretty sure now it was my distributor that caused my bog or miss condition. Since I have been back going engine has never run better.If I were you I would pull the codes and if you get a code 12 or 14 I would replace the Distributor.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:41 AM

i will check the codes and the distributor, i will see what i get..
Old 02-11-2008, 07:46 AM

I had something like this happen on my old daytona...check and make sure some gas comes out of the pressure regulator while it's running. Mine ended up being jammed closed, and the fuel pump would kick out cause the pressure would keep building.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:03 PM

I will remove it and check to see if any fuel is getting pump thru it and to the engine..thanks..
Old 02-11-2008, 03:37 PM

Wow, didn't know you can pull a code from the rig when a light isn't showing. I am not being a smart***, I was just thinking about my problem being the same as chugs and tryin to figure out if sometimes I wont throw a code but will be able to read one.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by BrunswickYota
Wow, didn't know you can pull a code from the rig when a light isn't showing. I am not being a smart***, I was just thinking about my problem being the same as chugs and tryin to figure out if sometimes I wont throw a code but will be able to read one.
When my truck broke down the cel never came on .When I pulled the codes it showed a 12 and a 51 . Code 51 is retained in the ECM. When I finally fixed the truck and got it started The cel would go off. I turned it off and jumped the TE and E1 code 51 came up .It took a little time but it finally cleared.I finally got a steady blink of the cel meaning no malfuntions.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:50 PM

hey...Pete_f...what's your method of checking the codes, i was reading up on some post but i'm just gettin' more confused....do u have any suggestions?
Old 02-12-2008, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by pete f
When my truck broke down the cel never came on .When I pulled the codes it showed a 12 and a 51 . Code 51 is retained in the ECM. When I finally fixed the truck and got it started The cel would go off. I turned it off and jumped the TE and E1 code 51 came up .It took a little time but it finally cleared.I finally got a steady blink of the cel meaning no malfuntions.
Hey Chugs
If you take a small wire with the ends stripped off go to the diagnostic port on your passenger side engine compartment. It is located by the fuse box under the cover of the diagnostic port locate the TE 1 and E1. Put the wire(paper clip also works fine) between these two with the key off. Turn the key on and count the blinks of the cel. Steady blink means no malfunctions. This link will explain it better than I can http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/index.html

Last edited by pete f; 02-12-2008 at 05:36 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:39 AM

thanks pete_f, will give it and try and see what codes i get..
Old 02-12-2008, 11:17 AM

No problems Chugs glad I can help.hope it works out.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:01 PM

alright, i'm having trouble determining what codes i'm getting...here are my read outs, getting 2 flashes, then there is a 2-3 sec delay...flashes 4 times...and another 3-4 sec delay....flashes 3 times....2-3 sec delay..and 2 flashes...what do u think it is?

Last edited by chugs; 02-12-2008 at 12:44 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine stumbles while driving..