Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The engine cranks but wont turn over. ATTENTION MECHANICS!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Team420
Its actually a 3vze 3.0l.... the 3vzfe was in camry's I believe...and I still think the timing is off... Someone that has never done a t-belt on these motors would almost certainly get it 1-2 teeth off on the first try, and if they didnt spin it over a couple times by hand to make sure the marks still lined up.....it prolly wasnt done right.
yea dude! so far most think that its the timing belt, he is comming tomorrow with a timing belt tool. I will let you know.

He looked on the bottem of where the timing belt is and there are numbers. he compared them to the sticker under the hood giving the timing belt specs. he said the bottem numbers matched up but he still has to take the plastic cover off and look and match the top notches up with the right timing numbers (given on the sticker under the hood)

I asked this guy if he has done timing belts before and he shook his head yea! and said it is a pain but he's done many and they all suck to work on. But i have confidence in him.

raydouble: you are very right. thank you! My mistake. ill take a picture and try to post it.

Last edited by p0isin; 10-21-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:33 PM

Old 10-21-2009, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by theAuthority
It would cause the motor to warp first and push the oil into your cylinders.

Noting that all of the work you've done to it, will be extremely hard to diagnose without seeing it in person and being able to touch it.

Best guess - Timing belt.

Well, theAuthority, he did say that the oil was up in the cylinders or pistons.

Dumb question for you: are cylinders pistons? or are they seperate parts?
Old 10-21-2009, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Team420
Its actually a 3vze 3.0l.... the 3vzfe was in camry's I believe

Doh!
You're right. and ES300's
Old 10-21-2009, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by p0isin
Well, theAuthority, he did say that the oil was up in the cylinders or pistons.

Dumb question for you: are cylinders pistons? or are they seperate parts?
A cylinder is a hollow cylinder that the piston fits inside, V6 would basically mean 6 cylinders in a V configuration which means 3 cylinders on each side of the "V". The piston is a cylindrical object inside the cylinder that moves up and down and is attached to a rod that is attached to the crank shaft. Most car engines (like your's) are 4-stroke which means the piston moves down up down up (each up or down movement is one stroke) to complete one full cycle. It starts by moving down to draw the fuel-air mixture into the cylinder, then up to compress the fuel-air mixture inside the cylinder, down when the mixture is ignited and explodes which forces the piston down and drives the crank shaft, which in turn drives some gears and other shafts/axles and finally your wheels, up one more time to push out exhaust gases and then it starts the cycle over again.

Last edited by Magnusian; 10-21-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:42 PM

We all love happy endings!!

Well for those of you that offered your help, I thought you'd like to know the outcome:

The guy that offered to fix my truck free was generously compensated since he is, to date, the most competent mechanic ever!

He stuck to his belief (and some of yours on this forum) that the timing belt was the reason for the engine not starting. That was just the case, he made me call my friend who worked on the water pump and showed him exactly how to put it right. He showed us the factory lines that they make so those pullys dont move. He explained that even though they are bolted, the pressure in some air valve moved the pulleys off place. And even though the notches didnt move, the pulleys did. He also found and cleaned oil out of the air intake due to having too much oil on the engine...he also diagnosed the barrings on the water pump bracket fan assembly as being shot (below).

After that was fixed and the engine turned over....we heard the horrible clanking sound when I'd started it while it was stalling, not overheating (pre- water pump) was really a bracket that goes over the water pump, it had broken barrings and was clanking/scraping metal shavings. We ended up pulling the part and going to a car yard to find it. Autozone, napa, and all other local places I called didn't carry it.

http://sd.autohausaz.com/autohausaz/...792~~8@4Runner, 3.0 V6, 4WD&category=water pump&part=240953@Water Pump Mount Kit

first on on the list (copy and paste if link doesn't work)

As for the idiot who diagnosed the water pump in the first place (a guy I called who charges $50 for a 5 minute diagnosis, and $5-650 for the installment) ....the orriginal water pump was fine. it was that bracket that is part of the fan assembly kit. i would have wasted that much if I had hired him to do the job...and the wrong job.

I still have the same boyfriend. we are still computer people, not car people.

I now have a fully functional, runs better than ever 1994 Toyota 4runner, all new CV boots, all new breaks, new catalytic converter, new battery/cables, new spark plugs, cap and roter, new oil, fully cleaned and flushed/cleaned cooling system, new water pump and thermostat, all new tires slightly oversized (the rims were oversized when i bought it in 2006), new fuel filter, oil filter, a couple new hoses. Its almost out of gas tho. But I bought a new gas can recently. LOL. Further, the K&N air intake filter has been cleaned thoroughly. $1859 later (Aug 09 - Oct 09)...it runs like a gem. I truely love my truck, 4runners rock.

Thanks to all who helpped.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WOW..just read the thread..and im sorry you had to put up with those DOUCHEBAGS...

you guys could've at least said you're sorry for being A-holes....jeez..

im sorry that you had to endure that..lmao
Old 10-29-2009, 07:29 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
BRB i am going to read "WAR AND PEACE"........ good luck pOisin
Old 10-29-2009, 07:46 PM

Another happy Toyota ending. I'll sleep good tonight!

Old 10-29-2009, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
WOW..just read the thread..and im sorry you had to put up with those DOUCHEBAGS...

you guys could've at least said you're sorry for being A-holes....jeez..

im sorry that you had to endure that..lmao

huh? who should have said sorry and for what?
Old 10-29-2009, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Teuf
BRB i am going to read "WAR AND PEACE"........ good luck pOisin
thank you vm ...wtf is "War and Peace"?
Old 10-29-2009, 10:18 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Magnusian
A cylinder is a hollow cylinder that the piston fits inside, V6 would basically mean 6 cylinders in a V configuration which means 3 cylinders on each side of the "V". The piston is a cylindrical object inside the cylinder that moves up and down and is attached to a rod that is attached to the crank shaft. Most car engines (like your's) are 4-stroke which means the piston moves down up down up (each up or down movement is one stroke) to complete one full cycle. It starts by moving down to draw the fuel-air mixture into the cylinder, then up to compress the fuel-air mixture inside the cylinder, down when the mixture is ignited and explodes which forces the piston down and drives the crank shaft, which in turn drives some gears and other shafts/axles and finally your wheels, up one more time to push out exhaust gases and then it starts the cycle over again.
That is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by p0isin
thank you vm ...wtf is "War and Peace"?
war and peace is an extremely long novel by leo tolstoy which probably contributed to the creation of cliff notes
Old 10-30-2009, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by toyospearo
That is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read.
The Otto Cycle > Shakespeare.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:36 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
pOisin you search for knowledge is a beautiful thing.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:54 AM

I am a computer/IT person and I still feel that actually helps me understand the mechanics of a car.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
A crappy mechanic is always a bad time, once you find a good one, you don't let them go
Old 10-30-2009, 10:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I just skimmed this thread and wow, just wow. Can't believe all you went through on this thing. Just glad you got it going.

I'm in IT as well and car's actually got me into this work. I like taking things apart and computers are fun. So I went to school and now I'm all smart and nat.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Teuf
pOisin you search for knowledge is a beautiful thing.
isnt it? sorry you can't read my expressive thoughts. I'm an avid reader and figure that everone reads like me.

most guys do not appreciate a million words for a couple thoughts...just the way i am i guess.

Anyways...no luck needed. It worked out fine and my truck is working agin.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
I just skimmed this thread and wow, just wow. Can't believe all you went through on this thing. Just glad you got it going.

I'm in IT as well and car's actually got me into this work. I like taking things apart and computers are fun. So I went to school and now I'm all smart and nat.
cool ... I have my degree from ITT Tech in Applied computer Science of Network Systems, i build/fix/refurbish those. But cars...forget it. I try and learn as much as I can though.

Quick Reply: The engine cranks but wont turn over. ATTENTION MECHANICS!?