86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

E-Brake Cabke questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E-Brake Cabke questions

I've searched, and i cant find details so i have a couple questions about the e-brake cable:

I had the front part snap near the handle. I followed it quickly, and i see its in a rubber sleve, through the lower part of the firewall, over the trans, and back to the adjuster. I've read i can buy the cable from the dealer, but is it just the cable? or does it include the rubber sleeve thing? Whats the procedure to replace it? Is there a page in the fsm on replacing it? I cant seem to find any info on it at all, and the threads on here are vague about the replacement.

I'd like to have some more details about what exactly I'm going to be doing, and what exactly is replaced, and it's an hour drive to the nearest dealer so i'd like to get the details before I go up there so I can have a better idea of what exactly i'm gunna end up with
Old 12-04-2007, 10:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
More info needed for year model? As for the ruber sleeve on the firewall i dont think that would be included. Give the dealer a call for a quote on price and ask him in the pic does it include the sleeve or is it a seperate part.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:35 AM

93 22re reg cab p/u 4x4.

I would give the dealer a call, but I dont really get cell service here, so I'll have to call the dealer at some other point. I was just wondering if anyone knows? People said they had a hard time getting the new cable in, but i'd think it would slide right through the tube without any real issues.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do a search on my posts, i did that cable a while back and give some tips on what not to do! i think you have to do the advanced search, my name and parking brake cable in the info section.

lee
Old 12-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine broke at the handle. Got a replacement from rockauto.com
Needed a little tweaking but it all fit. IT came with the cable and the protective sleeve.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:53 AM

I got the cable. It includes the sleve, etc. I cant figure out how to get the part where the ends clip into the little brackets. On the cab side its right before the pulley. I also cant figure out how to get the old cable end out of the handle, and get the new one in. all the existing threads on the e brake cable snapping are no help at all...

I tried to take pictures but for some reason my camera batt dies after about 2 minutes outside at this temperature.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:03 AM

Ok, I got the cable all out except for the end piece in the handle...

I dont understand exactly the procedure for hitting the pawls. I have the handle most of the way out, and i can push down the pawl closest the handle end, but the other one doesen't want to move. what am i doing wrong?
Old 12-10-2007, 12:19 PM

bump. nothing? nobody has any advice on what to do with the pawls on the handle to get it to move?
Old 12-10-2007, 03:31 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
BFH?

(I don't know...I'm just bein' a wise-ars.... )
Old 12-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
crap, sorry I can't for the life of me remember how we installed it. Dang beer.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:20 PM

unfortunately I had to leave my BFH at home cause I just didn't have space for it here at college..i know, i know. always bring the bfh.

any other ideas?
Old 12-10-2007, 06:37 PM

Excuses, excuses.....

Those pawls....have you thought of pressing them out? C-clamp....BFP's?
Old 12-10-2007, 07:01 PM

no chance of getting something like that in there. can barely fit my hand. Guess i'm just gunna throw myself at it repeatedly tomorrow as I have nothing planned between 9am-6pm except for lunch somewhere in there. Hopefully I can finish 'er off tomorrow, and have a working parking brake again...

Oh, and if I manage to figure it out, I'm gunna post it on here to be helpful to the next sucker who has to deal with this cause all the threads on this are not even remotely helpful.

A little help for anyone needing the part number, or a picture. Thats the cable for a 4x4 reg cab pickup.

Last edited by MMA_Alex; 12-10-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:08 PM

Good luck to you Alex. I'm not at home, so's I can't look at my '92 to help with ideas. Would if I could......sucker!!! Hahahahaha!!!! (Jus' kiddin' man. Put the gun down!)
Old 12-11-2007, 07:22 AM

Alex? Any luck?
Old 12-11-2007, 08:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you could be more descriptive or snap more pictures of what you're actually stuck with, I might be able to help you. I did this a short while ago on my 4Runner.

Did you pull the pin out of the parking brake handle shaft? It's the same pin that engages the parking brake switch when the parking brake is fully "off". You need to get that out if you want to remove the parking brake handle from the truck. That pin is pressed in... not threaded in. Be careful that you don't brake it when you take it out.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:48 AM

Haven't pulled the pin. I guess i'll try that next. I got everything else done, and as soon as I get that end in I'll have a functioning e-brake.

I took lots of pics...Figured I'd put some advice & pics to help anyone doing this in the future...

The pulley: there is a cotter pin you can remove, and then the whole pulley pin slides out, and it is way easier to get the end of the cable through with the pin out.

The adjuster/ under truck end of cable. Theres a cotter pin again, and a pin that holds the cable end to the left end of that bracket in the picture.

Here are the pictures of what I believe to be the pawl that you have to push down to get the handle out. I took off the trim piece under the dash to have easier access, and to see what exactly it was I was feeling under there in the infamous "contortionist move" to hit the pawl.

edit: one other tip for getting the cable routed above the transmission is to undo all the clips, and pull the old cable out from the passengers side. don't pull too far, and stop before the drivers side of the cable gets pulled up, and tie, with a short piece of rope, the new cable to the end of the old cable, and then continue to pull the old cable out, and you've got the new cable in place.

Last edited by MMA_Alex; 12-11-2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:59 AM

The shiny grey pin behind the red circle in the 3rd last picture is what you have to take out to be able to remove the handle. The pawls only have to be lifted when it comes time to re-install the handle. You can lift them with a screwdriver inside the tube that the handle slides into. It will become obvious when you remove the handle and look inside the tube.

That being said, if all you're trying to do is replace the cable, then you don't have to remove the handle at all, if I remember correctly.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:31 AM

sheared the pin off, got the handle out, and then realized i dont need to pull it to get the cable end out. cant get 'er back in. one of the pawls (closest to the driver) will go up, but the other wont budge, and I've gone at it from both sides. anyone got any ideas?

seems like I get some good advice every time I'm out at the truck working on it lol
Old 12-11-2007, 05:53 PM

Damn... I guess I posted too late. Sorry. Did you try to pry the pawl up with a little screwdriver through the end of the tube that the handle shaft goes into, or are you trying it from the outside? Try it with a screwdriver through the end of the tube... It should move up easily.

With that pin broken, your parking brake light will never shut off... even though the brake handle is fully pushed in. Mine was broken off when I bought my '93. Here's what I did:

I punched out the broken parking brake switch pin from the parking brake handle shaft (this is easy to do when it is removed from the truck) , tapped the hole to M6 x 1 (the hole size is perfect to do this), and installed a M6 x 1 (x 30mm, I think) bolt with blue loctite (after the handle is re-installed in the vehicle). It has worked perfectly since I did it 6 months ago.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 12-11-2007 at 05:55 PM.

Quick Reply: E-Brake Cabke questions