86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dual Steering Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 08:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Dual Steering Stabilizer

Does anyone know of a GOOD dual steering stabilizer kit for an 86-95 IFS truck? I know Pro-Comp makes one.. what is your opinion on them?

I know it's not necessary for a stock setup, but I am just curious.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what are your reasons for wanting one?
Old 11-21-2007, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your steering box is going to want to hop out from under your truck and slap you!

but in all seriousness two steering dampners dosent sound like that bad of an idea to me. their nothing i hate more that to go over other peoples ruts and feel the steering wheel slam back and forth.

any link to the pro-comp kit?

thanks
Old 11-21-2007, 08:37 PM

you only need one anyway

why would you want two??
If you think you need to you probably have a faulty part already present!!
Old 11-21-2007, 08:56 PM

Yeah I probably do have faulty parts already, and not enough money to replace them, nor to buy a dual setup.

But as I stated, I was just asking out of curiosity. ....steering wheels on Toyotas do jerk around like mad on trails though.

They list one here on the last page, no price though:
http://www.explorerprocomp.com/PDFs/07cat/92-97.pdf

*edit* there's no probably about my faulty parts, my truck vibrates on the highway... however my faulty parts may just be the tires (i hope) as everything seems tight. my tires are chunking though and are just old, never could get 'em balanced right. any input on that would be appreciated as well.. since we're on the subject.

Last edited by az4x4runner; 11-21-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:08 PM

steering stabilizers are bandaids. What I DO....is take them of all together. Set my steering up properly and dirve it around until its dialed in perfetly. Tha I go home and put the steering stabilizer on. That way..the steering is already good, so im not covering any problems. IM just adding to the nice steering setup ;-) OO and I THINK trailmaster makes a dual kit.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
when and if you wheel alot the stabalizer actualy hurts you just a bit and puts a bit more stress on your parts than help. if its more a daily driver and small rut runner so to say then it helps a some. i would just go for the pro comp setup but only one not dual
Old 11-21-2007, 10:42 PM

Interesting, well I'm gonna stick with one.. as for my pavement pounding, it is usually only to work and back and to the store and stuff.. so I guess it's kinda 50/50 on/offroad. The last thing I need is more stress, I take it to the most "interesting" places I can find.. around here anyway, the senator hwy has some good wheeling if you go out far enough.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by az4x4runner
Yeah I probably do have faulty parts already, and not enough money to replace them, nor to buy a dual setup.

But as I stated, I was just asking out of curiosity. ....steering wheels on Toyotas do jerk around like mad on trails though.

They list one here on the last page, no price though:
http://www.explorerprocomp.com/PDFs/07cat/92-97.pdf

*edit* there's no probably about my faulty parts, my truck vibrates on the highway... however my faulty parts may just be the tires (i hope) as everything seems tight. my tires are chunking though and are just old, never could get 'em balanced right. any input on that would be appreciated as well.. since we're on the subject.
out of round tires will kill your ride... for example my truck came with bald/ cupped rvts on the front and PERFECT looking good ones on the back, it rode like hell... when i got it in my hands i put the fronts on the back and the backs on the front, rode alot better, but not perfect. and today a put the nice evenly worn all-terrains on my pickup and it rides really nice now, should be perfect once i get them re balanced and put an inner tie rod end on the passengers side...

Originally Posted by Tacoma750
steering stabilizers are bandaids. What I DO....is take them of all together. Set my steering up properly and dirve it around until its dialed in perfetly. Tha I go home and put the steering stabilizer on. That way..the steering is already good, so im not covering any problems. IM just adding to the nice steering setup ;-) OO and I THINK trailmaster makes a dual kit.
please explain how you set your steering up "properly," meaning like you get i alinged and driving straight and true and then you throw the satbilizer on their?

thanks!
Old 11-21-2007, 11:08 PM

I just wish I knew it was the tires for sure. I did put the fronts on the back once and the vibration changed.. well the speeds it occurs at did. But I don't know.. don't wanna get new tires someday and have the same problem causing them premature wear.