86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

diff questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
diff questions

ok so i have been doing a lot of researching, search button is a handy tool, but i had a few questions.
i know exactly how to do the rear breather, it seems pretty straight forward, but how do i do the front breather?, or for that matter does a ifs front end have one? it maybe a noob question, but like i said in other posts, i go thru about 1 to 1.5 ft of water when we offroad, and i would prefer to not blow my seals.

one other question, i wanna replace the gear lube in the rear diff, i dont have my factory manual(im working on it, it didnt come with the truck), so im not sure what wieght to use, i also wanna go with a full syn lube.

any answers are greatly appreciatted!
Old 11-14-2006, 07:33 PM

Front breather is the same as the rear, lenghten it out. Located 1/2 way up the drivers side inner fender, has a silver metal cap on it.

75-90 gear oil for the front and rear diffs. Synthetic or Dino oil is up to you.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
Front breather is the same as the rear, lenghten it out. Located 1/2 way up the drivers side inner fender, has a silver metal cap on it.

75-90 gear oil for the front and rear diffs. Synthetic or Dino oil is up to you.
so the front breather isnt located as low as the rear?

how much gear oil would i need to do just the rear? 3 quarts should be more then enough correct?

and last question, i promise, where i can i get a hand pump to pump in the gear oil?
Old 11-14-2006, 07:47 PM

When you extend any breather run them up as high inside as possible.
3 qts for either diff sounds right off hand.
Where ever you get the oil should have a pump.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:51 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
oil:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/index.sh...ntheticGearOil
(book says 2.5 quarts, but it'll be closer to 3 in real life)

breathers:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...html#Breathers
The front one is a PITA without removing the diff.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by fourwd1
When you extend any breather run them up as high inside as possible.
3 qts for either diff sounds right off hand.
Where ever you get the oil should have a pump.
i was gonna run the rear breather as high as i can in one of the rear wheel wells, unless you guys think running it along the fuel lines and up toward the engine bay would be a better choice, im thinkin ill pick up about 15ft of 1/4 inch rubber fuel line(where can i find it, i dont think autozone, pep boys around here do rubber fuel line, i work at lowes, and we have tons of rubber hose, but i dont think any of it is ok in this application?)that should be more then enuff.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:53 PM

Reading this post has created some questions for me now.

First : I'm assuming that all differentials have a breather tube, right? and if this happens to get plugged it blows the seals in the differential, right?
second: where are these breather tubes, if they exist, on my 1990 4runner, and what can I lengthen them with.. more tube I'd bet, but what kind of tube.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Willie
Reading this post has created some questions for me now.

First : I'm assuming that all differentials have a breather tube, right? and if this happens to get plugged it blows the seals in the differential, right?
second: where are these breather tubes, if they exist, on my 1990 4runner, and what can I lengthen them with.. more tube I'd bet, but what kind of tube.
from what i read from the other posts, for the rear breather it is located directly on the differential itself, more or less on the top, looks like a little silver cap. you clean the area around it, removed it, then replace it with this part from toyota, 9040451026, its called a "union", it screws into where the breather previously was, you then insert the breather into some 1/4inch rubber fuel hosing and run it to where u want it to be, then you attatch the other side of the hosing to the union...both sides of the hosing should be clamped with small hose clamps, and your done. for the front, after i find it and do it, ill let ya know
Old 11-14-2006, 08:13 PM

I just read on the website posted above about how to route and mount the breather tubes. We don't have a whole lot of water out here in NM, but when it rains, it pours, and for such a cheap add on, 'm gonna lengthen those breather tubes
Old 11-14-2006, 08:34 PM

ok so now im intersted, the front breather, is that located directly on the diff, or up higher, like high enuff to clear 1 foot of water?
Old 11-14-2006, 08:51 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had been planning on doing the add a nipple and run a line for the breather. But honestly I think the artic cat mod (search) is what I am gonna do. All you have to do is get the nipple and use a small hose clamp to instal the artic cat breather. All it is a (assumed HD) plastic accordian AFAIK.

Alot easier than routing the hose and possibly cheaper to boot.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

Mr Willie where in NM do you live? Once my truck is done we should get together sometime and wheel a bit. I know out by where I live its still quite undeveloped but a bunch of new roads have been built due to the "rains". Its funny watching cars get stuck in the mud that floods the roads. Anyway back to the breathers. I am currently having new axles put on and rebuilt including the SAS. I wanted to know has anyone tried the Marlin Crawler set up? how long are the hoses on that kit? I don't mind paying for the kit since I like all my parts at once and not having to make repeated trips to Samons (electrical/plumbing) or Home Depot. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Okay.

Both breathers take the same union, part number listed above. It is a couple bucks.

For 86 to 95 IFS trucks, the IFS breather is located on the differential itself, on the passenger side right up by the front cover of the diff. If you remove your front factory skid, you will see it. Stock, the front and rear brethers are the same, so do the rear first, and you will know what to look for.

Using fuel hose is an excellent idea. That is what i did. Take the unions with you to NAPA, check the fit. Buy 4 hose clamps for the size hose you get. I recomend about 20 ft of hose. You will have some left over, but you need plenty of play in the rear, so that you can fully droop the rear w/out killing the hose.

For the front, i mounted it up next to the fuse box next to the battery (22re). If you have sealed electronics, and a snorkel, then perhaps you want to go up higher. If you do not, mounting it any higher than your air intake is really pointless.

The rear, i routed up and secured inside, behind my brake light. At first, i routed it into the rear quarter panels of my 4runner, but then i smelled gear lube all day, so i put it behind the light. It works well.

I used cheap fuel filters from napa for a filter, and clamped it to the end. They work great.

Have fun.

Last edited by AxleIke; 11-15-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:09 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I ran mine up really high (front up near the hood, rear into the gas filler door), but since then I've been thinking about it...

You don't really need to run them THAT high. The reason water gets in the diffs is because they suck in when the diff cools down rapidly when you enter the water. So long as the diff is cooled down by the time the end of the breather line enters the water, you won't suck in any water.