Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

did hg now 3.0 wont start help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sprocket will only go on in one position because of the keyway. Unless you put the sprocket on backward. The notch should be located at the back of the sprocket and to the dirver side of the keyway when the keyway is straight up. Then rotate the crank and sprocket to align the notch on the rear of the sprocket tooth with the mark on the oil pump.

Because the notch is difficult to notice I have seen that people often line the keyway up with the mark on the oil pump. The result is that crank to cam timming is off by about two teeth.

What marks did you use to set the crank to cam timming?

Last edited by Kutter; 05-04-2007 at 02:54 AM.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Kutter has the solution. You are out of time and use his photo to check the crank timing respective to the cam timing. Have you replaced the engine to chassis ground wire(s). Did you pull the intake elbow between, the one that takes a dip to make sure its not full of gas! I think autoshop101.com has a pdf file for doing the belt replacement. Ditto for the distributor index. If I remember correctly, with engine sitting at TDC, valves closed, distributor rotor button is approximately at 10 o'clock position. Most caps have the cylinder numbers molded into them.

Keep trying, you'll get it.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:26 AM

i think you guys are right i think i messed up the crank timing. i am gonna give it a try on sat. if i remember correctly i dont think i even lined up the oil up and the sproket. Man i am a dumb a$$. i will check everyting and get back witha solution i hope. thanks for all the support guys.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Not a dumbass.... just learning.

Have to respect a guy who is willing to try and do the work himself.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:24 PM

well i went out today and tore it down. the crank sproket was lined up perfect. So now i dont what to do i tried to retime it and again the same thing i got the passenger cam gear lined up perfect but the driver seems to be off 1/2 tooth. its turned in a little toward the inside. i am almost out of patience i am gonna burn this truck soon. the timing belt i have has no marks i wonder how easy it would be with the marks does anyone live in the hudson valley ny area that can help me. i am trying to follw the service manual but it show the timing belt with the marks.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

What happens if you keep turning the crank... do the marks stay in the same place or get progressively more out of whack? If they are always in the same place regardless of number of turns on the crank... I'd say you are getting really close to the correct settings.

I had to "trick" my timing belt when I installed it. I had troubles getting the slack to be taken up until I turned the crank. Then when I had tension, I was one tooth off. Marks would get out of line worse and worse with every crank revolution. I had to give myself the tooth before hand... so under tension everything was as it should be.

I know that's a pretty confusing explanation... just suggesting you try and adjust your belt in different ways to see if you can keep the marks where they need to be.

All the marks on the timing belt are going to do is add three more marks you have to line up correctly.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:40 PM

Follow the FSM on how to correct your belt. You can mark your own line, there are four mark that you need, two on top and one on the middle and the last one is at the crank spocket. Also did you put the distributor rotor at #1? Or esle you sure you got the correct timing belt? The t-belt should be all tightly around.

Click on this link and see if it give you any idea...
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...yaj/IMG006.jpg
Old 05-04-2007, 08:56 PM

after rebuilding my 22re, my first time cranking the truck i did not have the afm hooked up and did not figure this out untill after numerous attempts to crank the truck up. once i realized my mistake and hooked it up it still would not fire. i played with the timing over and over and knew that i had it right. a friend of mine suggested that i pull my spark plugs and crank the motor over a few times to blow the fuel out and then put a little oil in the cylinders because flooding the cylinders or "washing" them is bad. anyways, i let it air out overnight and the next day it fired right up.
just a thought.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:48 AM

when i crank it around 2 full times it is off a tooth to the passenger side. i tried to adjust the belt like you said moving it around on the pulley and trying different teeth to no avail. when i try to set the driver pulley with the belt the fsm says to turn the pulley slightly to the driver side and install the belt then line back up with the mark. and make sure the belt has tension between the crank sproket and the timing pulley. when i do have tension the mark is off 1/2 a tooth to the passenger side. so i move the belt 1 tooth back and then it is 1/2 a tooth off the driver side with no tension. i am always 1/2 a tooth off either way. When i get the pulley 1/2 a tooth off to the passenger side and put the belt on the passenger pulley the passenger pulley lines up perfect. I dont know what to do? do you think i got a belt for a 3.4 or a camry 3.0 belt? this belt just seems not to work. or im an idiot. I am fairly mechanically inclined i can bulit a v8 from the bottom and do timing on a talon that has a interference motor just fine but cant seem to do the simpilest timing job And i do have the afm hooked up and the connection is tight. and the dist is set at #1 on tdc.

Last edited by saleen9973; 05-05-2007 at 03:49 AM.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

From memory... I think I turned the DS cam sprockets CCW about one tooth. In other words, the timing was off by one tooth until I added tension by turning the crank CW.

That is what I meant by "cheating". Might not have been the correct way, but it was the only way I could get things to work.

Try turning the crank CW by more than 2 turns and see what happens. I probably went 6 or 8 times around when I thought I had it right just to make sure things stayed lined up.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:59 AM

The one with the marks at the autozone is only 18 bucks. I zip tied it to the marks and then installed the middle pulley. The one that holds it tight. If I remember correct the pass side has to be turned back a little to get it to align correctly. But when all it tight it will hit the marks nearly perfectly.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:56 AM

yeah im gonna buy the belt with the marks on it. i was outside yesterday for 2 hours trying to get the belt without the marks to fit and it just wouldnt go, i tried turning the crank a little and cheating but it just wouldnt go. when i get everything lined up perfect there is no tension between the crank and the water pump and then between the water pump and driver sproket. Then i turn the motor over two times and both marks on the cam sprokets are 1/2 to 1 tooth to the passenger side. Im at the point i just want to get rid of this thing
Old 05-09-2007, 02:27 PM

o.k well i got it. my brother in law came over and on his first try he got it. i dont know how because i went inside for a soda and it was done Well thanks for all the help guys, you are the best. it runs great real strong. now i just need to finish putting everything else back together and take her for a test drive.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:39 PM

Dang you need to thank your sister for marring a dude that can work on a engine. Or he is just lucky as hell. either way it worked out for you.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:39 AM

no he is one of the best mechanics i know. he is almost done with his full drag mustang fully back halfed and with a blower and all. he is trying to get into the 8's with his mustang. I owe him a case of beer. he also told me i had the dist 1 tooth off. im a dork.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:46 AM

my 90' single cab is doin the same thing only it backfires every now and then and wont start. i even double checked the cam timing and both marks on the cams and backing plate line up and the crank but im in the same boat!
Old 05-10-2007, 01:08 PM

try the distrubutor it may be 1 tooth off.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:50 AM

Yeah toyota has placed little marks on the dis when the crank is at the #1 tdc. They all line up and in goes the dist hole. It is almost perfect. No real way to mess it up. Unless your like me and use to Chevy or ford where you have to just trial and error it right. I lucky need to get the dist out for some unknown reason and then I noticed the little marks. I was off about two teeth so I would had a hell of a time timing it.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:52 PM

I am currently dealing with the same nightmare! Truck will fire but stumbles like crazy, white smoke out the back that smells like fuel, and then it dies.

1) Can I start the truck without the radiator and fan in it? Getting sick of pulling it all out to realign the t belt.

2) Does any one have pics of the sprockets lined up perfectly. The white marks are a bit worn and they seem to be inside or outside the marks on the cover.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2007, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by MisterB
2) Does any one have pics of the sprockets lined up perfectly. The white marks are a bit worn and they seem to be inside or outside the marks on the cover.

Thanks!
as you can see in my pic, there are indentations on the backing plate that the markings on the sprockets point to. hope this helps

Quick Reply: did hg now 3.0 wont start help!!!!!