86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

CV Shaft Clearance issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CV Shaft Clearance issue

So here is an interesting issue I've got. First, the truck. I've got a '94 4runner with 4" ProComp lift and 33x12.5 tires. This lift kit is one that lowers the front differential. There are six nuts that attach the CV shafts to the differential. On the passenger side, as the CV shaft spins, those six nuts are clipping a nut that attaches one of the lift brackets. So I have a horrible knocking sound as you can imagine. I double checked everything to see that the lift kit brackets are still torqued down and they look good. To this point, I decided that I would just file down the nut so that there is enough clearance. That worked, with one exception. I still get the knocking if I go into a curve at more than about 20mph. This is the second 4runner that I've had this lift setup on. I never had this problem on the previous 4runner, so I’m not sure what the issue could be. My first thought was that this truck had been in an accident prior to my ownership and the frame is a little tweaked. Although, all the lift kit brackets bolted right up without any problems. When I took it in for a front end alignment, it everything adjusted without any problems. I'm kind of at a loss as to what I should check next. Any suggestions?
Old 01-28-2008, 10:38 AM

above the diff there is a drop bracket. it is desinged to go on one way, it is possible to install it backwards. if it is, the noise you are hearing can happen.

also, you are right about it may have been in a wreck. use a measuring tape to compare gaps, heights, lengths, from one side to another.a BFG works only so much, if you aint got a frame puller, dont bother.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:15 AM

I'll check that upper differential bracket. One of my suspicions is that the differential is sitting with the passenger side twisted forward. I'll take a look and see what I find. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:04 PM

Well I finally had a chance to double check the differential drop brackets. Everything looks like it was installed correctly. Either way, they have all been removed and reinstalled (kinda like rebooting a computer?). The clearance still looks way to close. One thing I had overlooked was that I never put the front sway bar back on after lifting the truck. It is on now and seems to help things. I'll drive it for a few days and how it does.

My guess is that it was wrecked prior to my ownership. My question is this: If it was wrecked and repaired, would all the lift brackets still bolt up so effortlessly? And would the front end alignment still go off without a hitch? That is the part I can't figure out.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

its possible that the frame shop managed to get it very close to spec but not close enough. find a GOOD frame shop and have them check it out, youll know for certain then.

lee