86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cooling issues after plate bumper install

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cooling issues after plate bumper install

I built myself a plate bumper over the winter and I have now noticed since summer is coming on that at highway speeds after about 10 minutes or so my truck is wanting to run warm. Around town the temp is perfect .I did pop some holes in the bottom of bumper to try to help but I had no luck of cooling it down on the highway. I also replaced waterpump and thermostats. No difference. Engine has been totally rebuilt from the ground up about 10,000 miles ago. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue after doing a bumper . Any help would be appreciated
Old 05-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
so how about some pics of said bumper? Toyota put holes in theirs originally for that exact purpose. A winch and a set of lights also contribute to limiting air flow.
are the holes you added directing air to the radiator?
Old 05-10-2012, 05:51 PM

The holes are on the bottom portion of bumper right at the bottom of the rad. I'll try and get a pic of it on here tomorrow. I do have some over on the fab page. Just with so many plate bumpers on here I was wondering if anyone else has had thesame issue
Old 05-11-2012, 01:04 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by lilgription
I built myself a plate bumper over the winter and I have now noticed since summer is coming on that at highway speeds after about 10 minutes or so my truck is wanting to run warm. Around town the temp is perfect .I did pop some holes in the bottom of bumper to try to help but I had no luck of cooling it down on the highway. I also replaced waterpump and thermostats. No difference. Engine has been totally rebuilt from the ground up about 10,000 miles ago. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue after doing a bumper . Any help would be appreciated
After eyeballing your bumper on the fab page, Your cooling issue is NOT bumper related. It's more coincidental than anything else but you have the beginnings of a clogged radiator if it's happening at highway speeds. Rodding out the radiator probably won't help....new is the way to go. http://radiatorbarn.com
Old 05-11-2012, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by ZUK
After eyeballing your bumper on the fab page, Your cooling issue is NOT bumper related. It's more coincidental than anything else but you have the beginnings of a clogged radiator if it's happening at highway speeds. Rodding out the radiator probably won't help....new is the way to go. http://radiatorbarn.com
Thanks Zuk I'll check them out
Old 05-12-2012, 12:15 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I was thinking the same thing i was gonna suggest checking the radiator with a infrared thermometer .

If it was the bumper it would over heat in town before the highway.:jessica:
Old 05-12-2012, 12:53 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
I was thinking the same thing i was gonna suggest checking the radiator with a infrared thermometer .

If it was the bumper it would over heat in town before the highway.:jessica:
agreed. Some times you can check for cold spots by spraying water on the radiator and watching to see where it doesn't evaporate quickly.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:02 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
after looking at your bumper pics (next time link them or something) helps

not an air flow issue, i was picturing some big monstrosity
Old 05-16-2012, 06:10 PM

Wink

Well after replacing waterpump and thermostat and then checking radiator for cold spots I found my problem. I went ahead and replaced the clutch fan just for kicks even though it seemed fine. And what did I find out. It wasn't working good enough. As soon as I started the truck I could feel a whole lot more air flow than what I had before. Little stuff drives me nuts sometimes. LOL
Old 05-17-2012, 02:23 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by lilgription
Well after replacing waterpump and thermostat and then checking radiator for cold spots I found my problem. I went ahead and replaced the clutch fan just for kicks even though it seemed fine. And what did I find out. It wasn't working good enough. As soon as I started the truck I could feel a whole lot more air flow than what I had before. Little stuff drives me nuts sometimes. LOL
I'm not sure how that is related to the highway part of over-heating....Highway is ok now also?
Old 05-21-2012, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by ZUK
I'm not sure how that is related to the highway part of over-heating....Highway is ok now also?
Dont ask me either Zuk , but it worked. took it out at 85* for a hard 30 minute interstate drive and all was normal. Like i said as soon as i put the new one on i could tell a big difference in how much more air was getting blown back toward the engine. Mystery to me but I dont care as long as i got the gremlin out . LOL
Old 05-21-2012, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even at highway speeds, your fan locks in, only difference is that there is less resistence due to incoming pressure, and more motor noise combined with wind noise. At low speeds the fan "roar" is more prominent because the wind velocity is vastly different.