86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

To comfort me on rollovers =)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To comfort me on rollovers =)

I am on to owning my third 2nd Gen 4runner, the last two I rolled =( I have some concernes about my new '92 4runner, and that is will it roll as easy as my last ones? Basically I want someone to come on here who is experienced with SAS 2nd Gen's. My new rig's got the most common setup, '854runner Straight-axle, Toyota rear's in front with Chevy 63" in rear, plus a 2" Body Lift I have never owned a lifted rig in my life so I don't know what to expect, but it seems that I am much more cautious with my new rig than I was with my last one when it comes to tipping it. So my question is, will my SAS 4runner roll easier on a large obstacle than my last IFS 4runner?

IFS 32x11.50

SAS 36x12.50
Old 11-18-2007, 05:05 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Your SFA should allow for a lot more flex in the front and depending on what you did with the rear lift to match, likewise.

Did you roll (side top side) or just flop? Either way it sounds like you are prone to getting the tires up in the air so you should invest in a well built cage; exo cage if you care about saving the sheet metal.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I find my truck to be more stable since I did the SAS. On the other hand I didn't flop it until after the SAS.

Not trying to offend you but if you keep rolling trucks maybe you need to shift your focus away from the trucks deficiencies and focus on what it is your doing to cause them to roll.

However to answer your question, Yes I think you will find it to be more stable with the SAS.

Happy wheeling.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:27 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by neoworm0
Not trying to offend you but if you keep rolling trucks maybe you need to shift your focus away from the trucks deficiencies and focus on what it is your doing to cause them to roll.
x2 - sounds like an "operator technique" problem to me.

The point of a SAS IMHO is to better balance the truck's suspension - make the front work like the back. A truck with similar flez front and rear is always more stable than one that's mismatched - the actual flex number is irrelevant.

In other words, a poorly done SAS can be MORE treacherous than stock IFS, but if done well, it can be ALOT better than stock IFS.

There is one other HUGE factor. Is the new truck locked front/rear? That will enable you to crawl slowly over obstacles instead of having to bounce over them and having the angular momentum be what tips you, no necessarily just the angle.

Last edited by tc; 11-18-2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its an suv, naturally its a little more prone to rollovers due to it being topheavy. but as everyone is saying, the SAS should REALLY help you out. it wont be nearly as topheavy as my moms old 91 isuzu trooper.. its amazing people roll 4runners a lot and i never rolled her trooper
Old 11-18-2007, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by KTMR1der03
My new rig's got the most common setup, '854runner Straight-axle, Toyota rear's in front with Chevy 63" in rear
Toyota rears in front...what's that mean? Why the Chevy axle in the rear?

I'm trying to learn the in's and out's of the sas for next year...
Old 11-18-2007, 10:37 AM

hes got rear yota springs on the front and chevy 63 inch springs in the rear
Old 11-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RC000E
Toyota rears in front...what's that mean? Why the Chevy axle in the rear?

I'm trying to learn the in's and out's of the sas for next year...
toyota axles front and rear..
rear toyota springs in the front and chevy springs in the rear. lots of info on rears up front and chevy in back if ya search...
its cheap, easy and works well.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:12 AM

(1) seems like the more capable a rig is, the more prone people are to trying harder obstacles. the harder the obstacles, the more prone people are to flopping/rolling. so as it is, if you are prone to flopping/rolling with a lesser equipped vehicle, you may be more prone to it as you get comfortable with your new set up. the point? never get comfortable. always respect the abilities and the limitations of your vehicle.

(2) like others have said, wheeling with experienced people will help your technique. as often as possible (especially with a new set up) get someone with experience to co-pilot with you, or ride along with someone and get them to explain to you every line they take and why.

(3) invest in a cage! if you dont have a cage, dont trust your roof to protect you. be even more cautious about which obstacles you choose until you do get a cage. if you want to play russian roulette with your life, that's your choice, but do NOT bring any passengers with you until you have adequate safety devices in place.

(4) have fun!
Old 11-18-2007, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by KTMR1der03
I am on to owning my third 2nd Gen 4runner, the last two I rolled =( I have some concernes about my new '92 4runner, and that is will it roll as easy as my last ones? Basically I want someone to come on here who is experienced with SAS 2nd Gen's. My new rig's got the most common setup, '854runner Straight-axle, Toyota rear's in front with Chevy 63" in rear, plus a 2" Body Lift I have never owned a lifted rig in my life so I don't know what to expect, but it seems that I am much more cautious with my new rig than I was with my last one when it comes to tipping it. So my question is, will my SAS 4runner roll easier on a large obstacle than my last IFS 4runner?

IFS 32x11.50

SAS 36x12.50

BFG makes 36's?
Old 11-18-2007, 11:28 AM

Your still missing something..a SPOTTER lol
Old 11-18-2007, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by pennywize
toyota axles front and rear..
rear toyota springs in the front and chevy springs in the rear. lots of info on rears up front and chevy in back if ya search...
its cheap, easy and works well.
I'm searchin and doin alot of reading as well. I just wanted to be clear on what he was talkin about.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2007, 03:07 PM

Wow thanks a lot for all the quick replies. I just don't think I'm comfortable with how much the truck leans because I'm not used to being up so high. I would love to weld a rollcage for a project, I'll probly have to start that soon. But even without a rollcage 4runners roofs are VERY sturdy, I know from experience
Old 11-18-2007, 03:20 PM

I dont know why i dont feel the same as most people..But my Yota is VERY sturdy on the road. I mean, im used to driving sports care on KONI coilovers...so i know what a good ride is. BUT even my yota on 4 inch suspension ans 3 inch body with 36s handels great. I never felt it was tippy, even on offramps. Maybe its my rear springs? I dont know
Old 11-18-2007, 08:03 PM

safety is paramount...there's a reason why so many of us have roll cages and its not because the 4runner roof is so strong. i've seen the aftermath of rigs rolled just a couple flops down a hill...it ain't pretty. i cant imagine rolling down a treeless hill 1,000 feet to the treeline. try explaining to the family of the guy who was with you why you didn't have a roll cage in. life is serious and wheeling has some pretty serious consequences if we dont respect and respond to the tragic possibilities. chances are, you will never have to rely on your cage. personally, i've never flopped or rolled (praise God!) but when/if i do, i'm going to make sure i've got every chance at coming out alive along with all of my passengers. just seems like it's the responsible approach to take. ok, i'm off my soapbox...
Old 11-19-2007, 05:34 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma750
I dont know why i dont feel the same as most people..But my Yota is VERY sturdy on the road. I mean, im used to driving sports care on KONI coilovers...so i know what a good ride is. BUT even my yota on 4 inch suspension ans 3 inch body with 36s handels great. I never felt it was tippy, even on offramps. Maybe its my rear springs? I dont know
no - it's that you have a truck not a 4Runner. Put about 500 lbs above the CG and see what happens...