86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Colorado bound

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colorado bound

I'm planning a road trip to Colorado in late July. we'll be driving from eastern Kansas to Colorado springs/woodland area. I'm familiar with co enough to know that we'll have a good time no matter what but am looking for suggestions on good scenic drives/back roads and good premitive camping. I'll be in a 86 4Runner with just enough lift to fit 33s. What would be some good items/tools/parts to take along?
Any input would be great. This will be our first real "overland" adventure.

Last edited by x4xRunner; 01-11-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:49 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
i am going to forward your thread to a couple of members in colorado that could chime in on some colorado trails
have a great trip!
Old 01-11-2015, 04:38 PM

Typo, driving from eastern Kansas to Colorado springs area
Old 01-12-2015, 05:55 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If you think it is not really that far. About 600 miles or so off the top of my head.

As long as you maintain your vehicle to at least factory standards you should be fine.

It is not like the 1800`s and using oxen or mules.

things do happen so have water and some food

If your going to be pushing hard interstate speeds for hours I have noticed some engines start to drink oil so keep a eye on the oil level.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:54 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
As has been said, the trip out should be pretty straightforward. As far as places to go in the backcountry, there's no better website than this one for Colorado and SE Utah.

http://www.traildamage.com/

Just click on the "trails" link for a list of trails, and there's also a link which shows you a Colorado map with all of the trails.

BTW, "trail damage" refers to damage caused by the trails to the vehicle, not the other way around. Trail Damage is a very responsible 4wd club.

As far as what tools, etc., to bring along, that's a matter of preference. I always travel with a hi-lift jack, wood blocks for support, tow strap, and my tool box with a full set of metric wrenches and sockets. Maps, flashlight, water, food, warm clothing, etc... the standard stuff. Don't count on cell phone reception in the mountain backcountry.

Last edited by RJR; 01-12-2015 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:26 AM

I live an hour SW of Denver and there's tons of good trails near me and between here and CS. Red Cone/Webster Pass, Wheeler Lake, Bill Moore Lake, Iron Chest, Grizzly Lake, and Chinaman are some of my favorites, and are easily done with a 4runner on 33s. You might want to check the state of your CV joints if still ifs. It sucks to break one half way through the day. But other than that your basic trail tools will do. I usually just carry a hi lift jack, tow strap, shovel, spare tire, and a basic set of tools.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Z's Confederate Toy
I live an hour SW of Denver and there's tons of good trails near me and between here and CS. Red Cone/Webster Pass, Wheeler Lake, Bill Moore Lake, Iron Chest, Grizzly Lake, and Chinaman are some of my favorites, and are easily done with a 4runner on 33s. You might want to check the state of your CV joints if still ifs. It sucks to break one half way through the day. But other than that your basic trail tools will do. I usually just carry a hi lift jack, tow strap, shovel, spare tire, and a basic set of tools.
Are thaere anytype of brochures or maps on the trails in this area? I do have a book on 4x4 trails and back roads of Colorado but I know there's more than what's just in there. Plus it doesn't touch on camping at all.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:17 PM
RJR

For that area, you'll want the the Pike and San Isabel National Forest maps. They're available from any Forest Service office and at most outdoor shops (REI, Cabelas, etc.) in Colorado. They'll give you good info on all of the Forest Service campgrounds. The Forest Service offices also have free area "travel maps" which give seasonal road closure information and other access info that's good to have.

You can google "Pike National Forest" or "San Isabel National Forest" to find the official government website which will have a boatload of info about campgrounds, open roads, closed areas, etc. Plenty of good stuff on there. There'll also be links to make campground reservations for many of the campgrounds. When you google, make sure you pick the official site that starts out "www.fs.usda.gov/....".

The best trail/topo maps are the "Trails Illustrated" maps, now published by National Geographic. Again, those are available from places like REI or other similar shops. I'm not sure how best to get them in eastern Kansas. Check online.

Do be sure to check the traildamage.com website I mentioned in my earlier post for trail info. It's more complete and up-to-date than most of the books out there. I'm not a member of the trail damage club, but I use their website all the time.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
If you think it is not really that far. About 600 miles or so off the top of my head.

As long as you maintain your vehicle to at least factory standards you should be fine.

It is not like the 1800`s and using oxen or mules.

things do happen so have water and some food

If your going to be pushing hard interstate speeds for hours I have noticed some engines start to drink oil so keep a eye on the oil level.
I'm not really too concerned about how to prepare for the drive out but more so of some good spare parts such as idler arm? Or u joints. Which I know are good ideas but maybe other simple things that I might be over looking.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by RJR
For that area, you'll want the the Pike and San Isabel National Forest maps. They're available from any Forest Service office and at most outdoor shops (REI, Cabelas, etc.) in Colorado. They'll give you good info on all of the Forest Service campgrounds. The Forest Service offices also have free area "travel maps" which give seasonal road closure information and other access info that's good to have.

You can google "Pike National Forest" or "San Isabel National Forest" to find the official government website which will have a boatload of info about campgrounds, open roads, closed areas, etc. Plenty of good stuff on there. There'll also be links to make campground reservations for many of the campgrounds. When you google, make sure you pick the official site that starts out "www.fs.usda.gov/....".

The best trail/topo maps are the "Trails Illustrated" maps, now published by National Geographic. Again, those are available from places like REI or other similar shops. I'm not sure how best to get them in eastern Kansas. Check online.

Do be sure to check the traildamage.com website I mentioned in my earlier post for trail info. It's more complete and up-to-date than most of the books out there. I'm not a member of the trail damage club, but I use their website all the time.
Thanks I'll have to look into all that. REI?
Old 01-12-2015, 06:10 PM
RJR

REI is a chain of outdoor stores that started in Seattle and has worked its way east. There are quite a few stores in Colorado. Primarily they cater to backpackers, rock climbers, and cyclists. No hunting and fishing. I know there's a store in St. Louis, but I'm not sure about Kansas City. REI stands for Recreational Equipment, Inc., and started as a sort of co-op.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:13 PM

Oh and it just dawned on me, I know it's efi but is there anything I need to do to help compensate for the higher altitude?
Old 01-12-2015, 06:15 PM
RJR

Not really. If it's tuned up well it will run fine at altitude. Less power than at sea level, but the computer will figure out the mixture and timing for you. Mine runs great right up through 14,000 feet.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:17 PM

Ok. I just remember when I had my Honda, it ran like crap. It was gutless!
Old 01-12-2015, 06:43 PM
RJR

Well, you'll definitely notice the lack of power, but short of turbo-charging it, there's nothing you can do that will help that. Less air means less horsepower - simple physics. Just plan on spending a bit more time on the hills on the paved roads, and be polite and pull off occasionally if traffic backs up behind you. Enjoy the scenery; that's why you're going anyway.

On the trails you won't notice any problem.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You gotta stop at Casa Bonita!!