86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Blower fan question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blower fan question

I've been searching for the past hour and can't find what I need to know...

88 4runner 22re auto.

Heat only works on the lowest setting of the 4. Replaced the Blower motor Resistor because it looked really dirty, and no change.

I have the switch pulled apart. Which wires do I have to connect for it to run on the highest setting? I'm having trouble understanding the wiring diagrams. I would be happy with "permanent high setting" for now.

Also, I keep reading about Relays. Where are they (specifically), what do they look like, and how do I test them?

Thanks. In the meantime I'm going to go back outside to the cold and play with the switch wires.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:12 PM

Please clarify a bit.

IT only blows hot on the lowest setting of the 4?

or

It only blows air on the lowest setting of the 4?

Big difference between those 2 questions...
Old 12-29-2010, 07:58 PM

Sorry. Blows hot all the time (when the truck is warmed up obviously).

I think I managed to get it to setting 3 by connecting all the wires together. I electrical taped them like that and called it a night. I'm only judging what setting its on by sound and feeling the air speed. While playing with the wires it was off, and then connected some wires and it was the lowest again, and then connected another and seemed to go higher, and then the last one and it blew the strongest, but didn't really seem like the "high" setting.

Would one of the relays being out prevent it from the top fan speed?
Old 12-29-2010, 08:11 PM

low heat + late December + Winnipeg, Canada = kind of a big problem.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok so the switch is bad, it only needs one set of wires to run on high, if u take the switch apart and look at the guts look for the one that when the switch is in each position it connects to the metal coming off that location..and take that wire to the wire for high and see if it works. if not then relay bad, relays are behind glove box and u should hear it click every time u touch the wires. also each of the fan postilions wires should have 12 or so volts, there is a larger white one is a negative i think, in my 91 it was. thats the one that u hook up to the high wire...
Old 12-29-2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by GO_BLUE!
low heat + late December + Winnipeg, Canada = kind of a big problem.
Yeah, especially with all the speed holes in the rear inner fenders

My interior is completely stripped besides dash, center console and the 2 front seats. I was re-doing the floors and then ran out of time. I don't have a garage so I put it back together enough to drive to work and back, which is only a few miles.

Originally Posted by justin_4runner
ok so the switch is bad, it only needs one set of wires to run on high, if u take the switch apart and look at the guts look for the one that when the switch is in each position it connects to the metal coming off that location..and take that wire to the wire for high and see if it works. if not then relay bad, relays are behind glove box and u should hear it click every time u touch the wires. also each of the fan postilions wires should have 12 or so volts, there is a larger white one is a negative i think, in my 91 it was. thats the one that u hook up to the high wire...
I was thinking along the same lines. I tried that but it only blew out the lowest setting, and when I added another wire it blew harder, made no sense lol.

I'm going to check the relay tomorrow if I have time. Atleast for now its blowing something like a "setting 3" lol. That rear heater rocks, I just gotta reverse it so it blows up front lol.

Last edited by ztweny8; 12-29-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:08 PM

when i got my 4runner the switch was bad and i could only get it to blow out as i would say spot 3 too with jumping the wires, and yeah thank goodness for that rear heat it will heat up the car nicely. i just looked at the wiring in my manual and it looks like u should hook the yellow with red to the blue with black strip to get high on the fan...

Last edited by justin_4runner; 12-29-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by justin_4runner
when i got my 4runner the switch was bad and i could only get it to blow out as i would say spot 3 too with jumping the wires, and yeah thank goodness for that rear heat it will heat up the car nicely. i just looked at the wiring in my manual and it looks like u should hook the white with black strip to the blue with black strip to get high on the fan...
See thats what I thought too. I'll try again to be sure tomorrow, I was working with a flashlight tonight so I might have grabbed the wrong wire.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:16 PM

it also shows the white with black hooking up to it too. so u might want to try that just to see what happens, wish u the best and let us know what happens or if u need more help.