Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Bj Spacers And T-bar Crank!!?? Please Look!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get pretty darn good IFS-flex with BJ spacers, 26mm T-bars, low profile bump-stops, swaybar disco's, and aftermarket shocks. I call it getting the most out of the suspension I paid for I can post some pics later on.

It's all a moot point whether ball-joint spacers will help you clear bigger tires, because arguing the semantics of "clearing" the tires will take forever and we won't get anywhere. The fact is that if you get bigger tires, you should decide how much rubbage you're comfortable with, and where it's rubbing, so that you can decide whether your tires will be ok or not. You might decide you want big bump stops, I decided instead to hammer my pinch weld flat and dremel my fender a little bit, but now all I rub on is the swaybar at full lock and a little on the pinch weld full lock/stuff with 33x12.50 TrXuS M/T's (helped by a 1" body lift). Sure, the CV's are possibly in danger in some situations, but being aware of your CV angles and adjusting driving style accordingly is all that is required.

I'm really getting sick of the sweepingly generalized "suspension lifts don't let you clear bigger tires" argument. All it takes is a little know-how on where the trouble spots could be, and you can easily make your IFS perform like you want it to, suspension lifts notwithstanding.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:24 AM
CJM

There we have it confirmed by Marc, you got 33" tires in it while you had the spacers?
Old 11-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes, but 33x10.5's.....I think 12.5's would rub
Old 11-22-2006, 08:55 AM
CJM

Originally Posted by Marc P
yes, but 33x10.5's.....I think 12.5's would rub
Thanks, backspacing should help fix that as well as shaved control arms.

FYI: I've been trying very hard to figure out a way to get only 1.5-2" of lift out of my T100 and fit 33's and it comes down to adding a leaf pack in the rear and bj spacers. Roger and I were discussing it and the only other thing he said I might need is a 1" body lift. But overall he said I should be able to fit 33x12.5's with maybe minor rubbing if I just use the spacers and rear lift with the correct backspaced wheels.

The runners and tacos will have more problems fitting 33's than the T100 will though.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:22 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 33x10.50's fit fine, NO rubbing at all with the stock wheels... now the 34x9.50's rub significantly with 4" BS AR767's...
Old 11-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

I have bj spacers, no tbar crank, 33x12.5's on 3.75" backspaced rim, stock bumpstops, no swaybar,no trimming, or pounding of the pinchweld. I get very minor rubbing, although there is no way I could run this with snow chains.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:38 AM
CJM

Thank you slosurfer!
Old 11-22-2006, 02:24 PM

My suspension is stock.
I have a 2" BL.
I run 33X12.5x15 Radial TSL's. I can't remember for sure but my backspacing is either 3.75 or 3.5. I have NO rubbing when wheeling.
The pinch weld is hammered and fender is trimmed because I did run 35X12.5 for awhile on the same rims. Only rubbing there was on the rear mud flap or if I stuffed the front REAL hard when wheeling.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by slosurfer
I have bj spacers, no tbar crank, 33x12.5's on 3.75" backspaced rim, stock bumpstops, no swaybar,no trimming, or pounding of the pinchweld. I get very minor rubbing, although there is no way I could run this with snow chains.
Originally Posted by CJM
Thank you slosurfer!
Slosurfer and I had the whole BJ spacer and larger tire discussion on another thread, after geometry drawings and the like, it was deemed pretty much what I have said, and that being the case you can fit a 33x12.50 stock with the same amount of rubbing, you just may experience it more w/out BJ spacers or tbar crank..

Originally Posted by celica
with the BJ you do get better flex - in one direction, you will get better flex in both directions if you adjust your Tbars.
How is this? Unless you have your tbars so stiff you could support the HULK and not drop your front end your tbars are not what limits travel, its bumpstops that limit travel...

Originally Posted by CJM
There we have it confirmed by Marc, you got 33" tires in it while you had the spacers?
It has always been known you can fit 33's with spacers, there are many people here that run 33's without spacers, and at least one guy who runs 35's with no lift or spacer... the deal is they are almost all 10.50 wide tires, and the narrow tread allows for taller tires... think of it this way.. I could fit HD chains (.25" links) on my 95 4runner with the 3" rancho (essentially a expensive POS BJ lift, as it lowers the upper balljoint but nothing else) and never even come close to rubbing, even at full stuff. I was running 32x10.50 TSL radials, which were as tall as some cheap 33's I've seen, but narrow.. When I put the chains on they required about 1" more clearance vertically and horizontally.. and i never rubbed... there is plenty of room is these wheel wells for a 33" tire, its the wider tires that dont fit as well.

I think BJ spacers are a great invention, and would be putting them on my truck if I werent selling it.. its just one of my biggest toyota pet peives when i hear people saying they create room for larger tires... they dont... they do allow use of a larger tire that would rub without the lift, but the rubbing issue is still there just not noticed until your on the trail, or hit a speed bump while turning...

Old 11-23-2006, 05:55 AM

actually it does allow a bigger tire, think of the geometry, your lifting the body higher than the axle... therefor giving you more room for tires. it does increase travel , i was thinking backwards.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I want to lift my 88 runner about 2" in the front. I've got 26mm torsion bars and a set of a-arms already cut for BJ spacers. I got this stuff from Seaflea, and he told me with the set up to take the swaybar off, he's gone sas now. This was mentioned in a post above, what is meant by swaybar disco's?
Old 11-23-2006, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by titicaca
actually it does allow a bigger tire, think of the geometry, your lifting the body higher than the axle... therefor giving you more room for tires. it does increase travel , i was thinking backwards.
But where does the suspesnion compress too?? The stock location... which affects how much room you have for tires, unless you drive a street queen...

Originally Posted by 4runnerx3
I want to lift my 88 runner about 2" in the front. I've got 26mm torsion bars and a set of a-arms already cut for BJ spacers. I got this stuff from Seaflea, and he told me with the set up to take the swaybar off, he's gone sas now. This was mentioned in a post above, what is meant by swaybar disco's?
Swaybar discos are an adapter that goes inbetween the swaybar and the control arm in place of the factory unit. They are held in with pins and easily removable so that your swaybar is unhooked. What you will find by disconnecting the swaybar on your truck is that you get better traction, travel isnt really increased since these trucks can go bumpstop to bumpstop with the swaybar attached. But the nature of the swaybar (works similar to a torsion bar) is that when one tire is stuffed and one is drooped the stuffed on is pulling up on the drooped one reducing traction.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:15 PM

ok Question. I am not tryin to high jack a thread but im thinking about adding BJ spacers to my truck. Its already lifted 4inches but heres why.I want to relax the t-bar and add the spacer to kee the same ride height but free up some movement. I dont want to lower the truck any but the suspension on it is too stiff front and rear.I was planning on adding a different rear spring pack to keep it up or maybe just remove the overloads.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, I have an 89 4runner (see my trucks profile in my sig) I have BJ spacers, 1.5" torsion bar crank and a 1" body lift. I run (bigger than most 33's)33x15.5x15 on 15x8 inch wheels, not sure but i believe the back spacing is 3.5" to 4". my fenders are very lightly trimmed. the only place I rub is in a full lock turn to the left and its on my sway bar and under acceleration (tire deflection) It rides as smooth as mud tires can and gets about as decent flex as a near stocker can. I did not change my bump stops as it would only gain me a small amount and the stockers are plenty soft and will compress.
Today I have over 20k miles on this setup, and it works very well.
feel free to email me about any more Q's
Mike
Old 11-24-2006, 01:47 PM

you can fit 33x12.5's with little to no rubbing. just ask slosurfer he did it.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Ok I may as well join in. This has been discussed many times before and the only thing I will add from my perspective is I have run them on both my '91 and my '92 and only had to pound the pinch welds on the '91. I run 33x12.50's and the only rubbing I get on the entire vehicle is the insde of the fender flare on the rear axle. For those that have wheeled with me, you know that I run mine hard and yes I have broke both the inner axle and a couple of CV's. Just a note on that ....All three times I was in a turn with the front ARB locker engaged. Took three times to convince me that you shouldn't do that. Anyway.....as long as you are going to stay IFS this is still one of the best setups. If you want more than that you need to SAS it.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:33 PM

i have been reading all of what everyone has been saying, and i am about to buy some bjs my self and what i get from this convo is yes u can fit bigger tires but u cant flex them into the fenderwells with out rubbing so yes if u want bitter tires for looks they yea go ahead but if u wheel it alot then u will rub because it still stuffs the tires in the fenderwell the same as stock am i right?
Old 11-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by seanathan
yes u can fit bigger tires... am i right?
Yes to the above only unless you want to start another discussion on this. Like I said before....unless you are ready to SAS it than this is one of the best setups you can run on IFS. Where's Roger B.when we need his opinion?
Old 11-24-2006, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by vwfastg60
ok Question. I am not tryin to high jack a thread but im thinking about adding BJ spacers to my truck. Its already lifted 4inches but heres why.I want to relax the t-bar and add the spacer to kee the same ride height but free up some movement. I dont want to lower the truck any but the suspension on it is too stiff front and rear.I was planning on adding a different rear spring pack to keep it up or maybe just remove the overloads.

Would work quite well...

Originally Posted by seanathan
i have been reading all of what everyone has been saying, and i am about to buy some bjs my self and what i get from this convo is yes u can fit bigger tires but u cant flex them into the fenderwells with out rubbing so yes if u want bitter tires for looks they yea go ahead but if u wheel it alot then u will rub because it still stuffs the tires in the fenderwell the same as stock am i right?
Yep...
Old 11-25-2006, 04:21 AM

I think BJ Spacers + Low profile compression bumpstops are a good and cheap combo:

David

Quick Reply: Bj Spacers And T-bar Crank!!?? Please Look!!