Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

BJ spacer pics anymore like this and how much did you guys have to cut out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BJ spacer pics anymore like this and how much did you guys have to cut out?

does anybody have any pics of there BJ spacer installed and tell me how much they had to cut off the get it to fit... thanks

Last edited by 4x4YOTA; 11-16-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
suscribed, im about to buy some spacers, i wasnt aware that you had to mod to fit!
Old 11-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That pic looks about like mine.

Looks like you got it done right.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

so you have to cut the top A-Arm to fit the Spacers!!!!?
Old 11-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

Uh...yeah. Its pretty clearly stated on their website that you have to do that.

http://www.sdori.com/SDORI_4WD_Spacer_Install.html
Old 11-16-2007, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

ok well, i would have thought that i had previously stated that i am getting a Old Man Emu 2" lift w/ spacers & coils from TRDparts4u.com i normally dont get instructions till i get the product. thanks for the additude
Old 11-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

Your welcome.

Though, I'm puzzled, since I gave no attitude, but answered your question.

To clarify, nowhere in this thread did you say you were looking at the kit from TRDParts4U. BJ spacers come from SDORI, and some vendors sell his stuff. You seemed indignant that you'd have to cut the A-arm. While I agree that instructions usually come with a product, it is often a good idea to research what is involved before you buy.

In the end, there really isn't any harm done, is there? You now know what you are getting yourself into.

Good luck
Old 11-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Your welcome.

Though, I'm puzzled, since I gave no attitude, but answered your question.

To clarify, nowhere in this thread did you say you were looking at the kit from TRDParts4U. BJ spacers come from SDORI, and some vendors sell his stuff. You seemed indignant that you'd have to cut the A-arm. While I agree that instructions usually come with a product, it is often a good idea to research what is involved before you buy.

In the end, there really isn't any harm done, is there? You now know what you are getting yourself into.

Good luck

i thought they went on the bottom, goes to show what i know, im not a mech, i know how to change oil, shocks, and a few other small things, i dont know anything else, oh and grease nipple locations. for the longest time i didnt even know what BJ ment on BJ spacers, Ball joint who knew. and the TRD parts package lift that i am buying, the spacers are NOT from the SODRI they are in fact from OME. i do realize that you probably know a world more in mech stuff on toyotas, i know facts and first hand tests, not installing lifts, and things like that, this is my very first vehicle, i have owned for 2 years now and i know it, inch for inch, what i dont know, aftermarket things ANYTHING aftermarket and lift kits are very new to me, im just discovering lifts and only want to find out myself. good to know people can help me when i need to know everything about aftermarket stuff
Old 11-16-2007, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
That pic looks about like mine.

Looks like you got it done right.
Thank You! Actually its mine. Here's another pic without the spacer installed, so you can see the cuts I made to clear the spacer.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Contributing Member

Happy to help. Also, just FYI,

Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
and the TRD parts package lift that i am buying, the spacers are NOT from the SODRI they are in fact from OME.
OME doesn't make Ball Joint spacers.

I'm assuming you are purchasing one of the kits in this post:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f37/...s4u-com-54794/

As you can see, all the BJ spacers are from SDORI.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by treknwil
Thank You! Actually its mine. Here's another pic without the spacer installed, so you can see the cuts I made to clear the spacer.
so about how far back did you trim... I just cut the lip off but not sure if thats enough?
Old 11-16-2007, 04:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can help here.

We sell primarily to vendors. I sell very few pairs of spacers directly and that's just fine. We make the spacers and others bundle them with other parts one needs in a lift. This is good for the customer and lets each business focus on their area of specialty. It's a good arrangement.

The trimming is very easy. A 4.5" cut off wheel on a $20 angle cutter will go through that inner lip in a minute or so. Grinding with a die grinder will take a LOT longer but will work too. You are only trimming about 3/8" or about 9mm of the lip on the inner underside of the a-arm.

If you have any questions feel free to post up and I'll subscribe to this thread.

Frank
Old 11-16-2007, 05:31 PM

thanks I apreciate it alot...so Im pretty much only getting rid of the lip edge nothing more
Old 11-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You only have to trim about 1/4" or so from the inside lip. It doesn't effect a structural part of the control arm. A die grinder makes quick work of it.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by James Dean
You only have to trim about 1/4" or so from the inside lip. It doesn't effect a structural part of the control arm. A die grinder makes quick work of it.
so a 1/4" back from the lip or a 1/4" total ???cuz I cut the lip off so I need to take off more...I never removed the ball joint did it all still together dont want to take any thing apart til its ready to go together
Old 11-16-2007, 07:21 PM

I installed 1" spacers, so I did need to clear as much as if I would have gone with 1-1/2" spacer(1" spacer fit up inside of arm only the bolts didn't clear.). I only needed to clear the bolts. I used a angle cutter also. They work very well and cut though like butter. I didn't remove any material I just bent it out of the way. Its easier than it looks.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:38 PM

Also remember that the stock tires/rims may not clear the A arms once you install the spacers make sure you have lots of clearance. Mine rub but i cut the a arm back and rewelded in a new plate so they have alot of clearance now when i run the stock tires and rims , most rims with 3.75 backspacing or less seem to have no clearance problems
Old 11-16-2007, 08:07 PM

Here ya go. A few more pics.

Pics start at post #17
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/bj-spacer-question-58081/
Old 11-16-2007, 08:27 PM

Im already running wheels with enough backspacing I have bout 2" between my tire and control arm
Old 11-17-2007, 07:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have never tried to cut off that lip with the joint installed, that's a first. I didn't know you could do that. I always just hold the spacer up to the arm, see where I need to cut, and make the incision.

I would just install them. If you have cut that lip you will at most only need to trim a tiny bit more. We're talking adding maybe 5 minutes to the total install.

Frank

Quick Reply: BJ spacer pics anymore like this and how much did you guys have to cut out?