Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Beware Of Clutch Bracket Fatigue!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where are you guys buying the new bush ins and sleeves for the clutch pedals? I have a 91 and need to redo mine. I am having trouble finding these for sale anywheres. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:05 PM

Got mine at the dealership.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:57 AM

can some one tell me where the spring with the two hooks attaches to and what its for
Old 04-21-2014, 10:01 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
I believe that spring helps pull the peddle back up. Well I just opened my mouth so that probably means I'm wrong. Someone will correct me in a second and you will have your answer.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:22 AM

You're correct, pedal return spring. Hooks on right side (if I recall) of pedal and under dash near steering column bracket.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:16 AM

Mine cracked on me to, only cost me 20$ to fix! Gotta love having an auto wrecker
Old 05-11-2014, 02:27 PM

Welp, its my turn!!!

I was thinking that the clutch pedal was extra squishy. I figured as much. Got down under there and confirmed the crack - pushed in the pedal and saw it flex.

Is there a good write-up for this procedure? If not, I'll make one when I take my down and fix it. I love taking pictures so hopefully it would be helpful to someone else.

Can anyone confirm how many bolts hold the bracket from the engine compartment? I saw one bolt in there, but looking at the bracket it looks like at least two. I didn't look very hard so maybe one is hidden by the booster? I now know my next project!
Old 05-11-2014, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Red Leader
Welp, its my turn!!!

I was thinking that the clutch pedal was extra squishy. I figured as much. Got down under there and confirmed the crack - pushed in the pedal and saw it flex.

Is there a good write-up for this procedure? If not, I'll make one when I take my down and fix it. I love taking pictures so hopefully it would be helpful to someone else.

Can anyone confirm how many bolts hold the bracket from the engine compartment? I saw one bolt in there, but looking at the bracket it looks like at least two. I didn't look very hard so maybe one is hidden by the booster? I now know my next project!
First you gotta remove your dash, and it helps if you remove all your vent lines, makes it easier to get at. First thing remove the pin that holds the pedals to the bracket. The there is 4 bolts to the firewall. Remove those, and they will lossen the master cylinder and pull that as far out as you can without breaking any lines. There is also 2 bolts on the top of the bracket. Its a bitch to weave it out when you finally have it all loose. 12mm and 14mm are the sizes. Good luck. Just ask if any other questions
Old 06-17-2014, 04:30 PM

OK so let me clarify on part number(s).

I have a 92 4Runner v6 Sr5 with the same problem.

So for my gen is part #55106-35050 what I need? http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/t...106-35050.html

And what about this thing, does it help? #55113-34010 http://www.toyotapart.com/55113-34010.html

I want to make sure I'm getting the right parts before I drop this kind of $$$. Thanks guys!
Old 08-02-2014, 09:18 PM

Hey guys,

I just did this and put up a full tutorial with over 100 pictures -

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f166.../#post52213698

I hope it is helpful to someone out there.

Carry on!
Old 09-13-2014, 06:07 PM

Hey guys,

Carry on!
Thanks for the write up Red Leader. The clutch in my daughter's truck is starting to slip so we are going to start gathering all the parts to replace it, including the master cylinder. Good thing to check will be the clutch pedal bracket. With almost 200k miles on the truck, I'm betting it has cracked. If not, then I will get that reinforcing plate for the firewall and hope it keeps it from happening!
Old 09-13-2014, 08:53 PM

Hey guys,

Carry on!
Do you happen to have a part number for the clutch master cylinder reinforcement bracket you found?
Old 10-17-2014, 01:24 PM

man i have been having these issues on and off for a year. replaced slave then master...had some pressure issues and finally i had it working alright but was still leaking fluid. So as long as i kept it full and bled it if it went low it seemed to not be hurting anything until the res was low then shifting became really sticky.

Then the other day i had the pop and lost the whole petal, the rod looks like it has just been holding on by a thread and is warped... the plastic ring was pretty destroyed and the threading stripped to the point i was not able to reattach. someone told me they ran into issues on a pickup with the rod actually being the wrong size so that had been my thought

Until i came across this post I was thinking a crappy master or just not the right size rod. Now i am trying to find an elf to crawl under and check the plates.

Super helpful thread, but i am still really hoping on a bum MC keep ya'll posted
Old 10-17-2014, 05:12 PM
FGZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey guys,

Carry on!
Excellent write-up, you outdid yourself on that one. I can't reply there because of the section it's in, I hope it gets made into a sticky or official tech write-up so that it's not lost
Old 10-18-2014, 08:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had this happen to my 90 runner. I used a bottle jack and a 2x4 to push everything back into place. Then welded it up under the dash. Also added a gusset from clutch perch to brake perch cause that's the way it looked to be flexing. Now the pedal feels better than ever.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has any one tried using the T100 bracket, like this guy http://www.toyota-4runner.org/classi...-write-up.html ?

I know its the "wrong" application for 4Runners and Pickups but with that bracket only holding the clutch pedal, it would make it a lot easier to replace in the future when it breaks again. My pedal bracket has already broken on my 2x in the last 12 years and I'm sure I'm "due" for it to break again soon.

For any of you ME's out there, is there any reason having 2 separate brackets would be any weaker than having one large one connected by that relatively thin section of sheet metal?

Also, does anyone have a picture of the bracket/brace that supports this bracket from inside the cowl area?
Old 02-26-2015, 08:02 AM

I'm having an issue with my 85 4runner in that when I attempt to go from neutral (clutch pedal down) to 1st gear (releasing clutch) my truck shudders terribly for a few seconds before finally moving forward. I was told that the clutch bracket issue does not effect my year of truck and I've tried everything else I know of to fix this issue.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:13 AM
FGZ

That sounds like your flywheel needs to be turned IMO. Mine does that sometimes, I have to rev it a little higher and release clutch a little quicker to keep it from getting in that harmonic frequency that will really shake the drivetrain.

My Civic was the same way, and was especially bad before it was warmed up in really damp air like after a rain. Rev higher, release slower, warm up clutch, and it stopped. But it's less severe with the 4R, a new clutch and flywheel are my suggestions if you can't stand it.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by FGZ
That sounds like your flywheel needs to be turned IMO. Mine does that sometimes, I have to rev it a little higher and release clutch a little quicker to keep it from getting in that harmonic frequency that will really shake the drivetrain.

My Civic was the same way, and was especially bad before it was warmed up in really damp air like after a rain. Rev higher, release slower, warm up clutch, and it stopped. But it's less severe with the 4R, a new clutch and flywheel are my suggestions if you can't stand it.
It did appear after I had my engine swap done. I wonder if they didn't do the flywheel when they did the swap. Thanks man I appreciate it.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:59 AM
FGZ

Originally Posted by SqWADoosh
It did appear after I had my engine swap done. I wonder if they didn't do the flywheel when they did the swap. Thanks man I appreciate it.
I would be very surprised if you didn't go after clutch and flywheel while the powertrain is out of the vehicle, but it's worth the question. If it were mine, buy the replacement parts and deal with it until something fails or until I drop the tranny for some other reason - install duals, do rear main seal, etc.

Quick Reply: Beware Of Clutch Bracket Fatigue!