Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bad Tranny? Clutch? Master Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bad Tranny? Clutch? Master Cylinder?

Hey guys, like the title says I am having a problem in that field. The last few days it has been hard to shift into 3rd and 5th, and today I was parking and went to put it in reverse and it wouldnt go in it was just grinding as if I were still rolling at a higher speed. Is there anyway to know for sure what my problem is? My clutch is ran by the master cylinder right? My truck info is in my sig!

TIA
Julian

|||||
ˇˇˇˇˇ
Old 02-22-2010, 07:02 PM

i would make sure your master cylinder had fluid in it, if it was low or spongy maybe you got air in it? throw out bearing would prob be making a little noise if the bearing was worn out. can you feel the clutch slipping any starting off? is the tranny making any noise? when you push depress the clutch does it change any? when i just put in my stage 1 centerforce it was grinding going into rewind but that was due to me forgetting to adjust the clutch pedal... might want to check there. Sounds like a synchronizer in the tranny or one of them shift fork thingys i sure someone better than me could diagnose it with the little info that you've given-- hope this gives you a place to start
Old 02-22-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by atoy yot
i would make sure your master cylinder had fluid in it, if it was low or spongy maybe you got air in it? throw out bearing would prob be making a little noise if the bearing was worn out. can you feel the clutch slipping any starting off? is the tranny making any noise? when you push depress the clutch does it change any? when i just put in my stage 1 centerforce it was grinding going into rewind but that was due to me forgetting to adjust the clutch pedal... might want to check there. Sounds like a synchronizer in the tranny or one of them shift fork thingys i sure someone better than me could diagnose it with the little info that you've given-- hope this gives you a place to start
Yes, the cylinder has fluid. I have not thought to check it to see if its spongy though.. Um, it seems like i have to let off my clutch a more to get the gear to engage (if that makes sense) but also have to have the clutch to the floor just to get it in gear. We are planning on having a new clutch put in, but I dont want to do that and find out it is the cylinder or the tranny. But the tranny doesnt really make a sound that I can hear. It still only make the sound of reverse lol. But thanks for your help atoy yot

Thanks
Julian
Old 02-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
All the way to the floor sounds like a failing hydraulic component to me.

Try adjusting your clutch pedal to within spec, and make sure you check your clutch pedal bracket for cracks as they are a known failure point.

Make sure the clutch master is operating correctly by measuring the piston movement (or at least eyeballing it) to see if it moves enough. If not, you can figure you have a problem. generally 1st, 2nd, and 4th are the easiest gears to get into. However, 3rd and 5th are well known for having syncro problems.

One last thing to check is the shifter seat bushing. Make sure that is intact, and replace as necessary.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:49 PM

If it doesn't rev up on hills/acceleration, the clutch itself is fine. Sounds like a hydraulic problem. You say the MC has fluid in it, so I'm guessing the MC is bad. If it was the line or SC, you would be losing fluid. Try pumping the clutch pedal then . If that does it, one of your cylinders are blowing by.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:50 PM

for a 1990, i wouldn't be suprised if your slave cylender went out. check for quick fluid loss when pumping the clutch pedal, as well as fluid ALL OVER THE BELL HOUSING!!! (personal exp)
Old 02-22-2010, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by jason191918
If it doesn't rev up on hills/acceleration, the clutch itself is fine. Sounds like a hydraulic problem. You say the MC has fluid in it, so I'm guessing the MC is bad. If it was the line or SC, you would be losing fluid. Try pumping the clutch pedal then . If that does it, one of your cylinders are blowing by.
ARG! beat me to it!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:38 AM

Thanks guys, but here is a stupid question where and what is the bell housing?

Last edited by alil2cul4u; 02-23-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:09 AM

Hey guys if it is the master cylinder, Amazon says this one will fit. But is this all I will need? and where is it located? Has anyone done it on a 2nd gen 4runner 3.slow if so how hard was it?

Amazon Slave Cylinder

Could it be the clutch master cylinder?

Last edited by alil2cul4u; 02-23-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:49 AM

If you lay under the truck under the passenger door you will look up and see a rubber boot thing on the side of the transmission. If you pull the boot back you will see a steel arm sticking out with a rod pushing against it. Have someone press the clutch pedal (not running with parking brake on) and see if the rod pushed the arm. If not then you have a master cylinder/slave cylinder problem. Or common problem of cracked clutch pedal bracket. If it does push the arm then you have a clutch finger/plate or seized pilot bearing problem.

Last edited by Flash319; 02-23-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:55 PM

i just replaced my SC, it is really simple took 15 minutes. all you need is a socket wrench and someone to bleed the brakes and your done.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by M4Runner
i just replaced my SC, it is really simple took 15 minutes. all you need is a socket wrench and someone to bleed the brakes and your done.
the clutch you mean?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:17 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alil2cul4u
Thanks guys, but here is a stupid question where and what is the bell housing?

http://images.google.com/images?q=be...N&hl=en&tab=wi
Old 02-24-2010, 09:19 PM

the bell housing protects your clutch assembly. either built into the transmission like our toyota's or a complete seperate piece.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:28 PM

dragging clutch?
Old 02-24-2010, 09:58 PM

too much pedal free play
Old 02-25-2010, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same symptoms and it was a shot pressure plate.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:43 PM

Well, the clutch is completely gone. Its been confirmed that it is the clutch! It did the same thing that my mom and dads other cars have done!! We are getting ready to tow it home now!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:59 AM

Well, I got it to the shop to get fixed. Picked it up yesterday, They checked everything to be sure that I didnt have any other "serious" problems. I asked the mechanic how it turned out, he said there was absolutely nothing left of that clutch that it was basically a metal frisby. I'm willing to bet that it was the original clutch. Just last year we found out that the fuel filter was the original so I was guessing that was too. turns out it had to have been! Happy to have my yota back! Drove a 2008 dodge 1500 and love the truck but love the yota more!
Old 08-22-2010, 02:04 PM

91 Pickup (daily driver). 22re

Last weekend I swapped my W56-C for an older G54. Put a new clutch and throwout bearing in too. Drove it for 4 days, fine. Now when releasing the clutch in first gear, it grinds and wont engage. Is this a clutch issue or did I get a bad tranny. I bled the clutch last night. If anyone has any info it would be awesome.

Last edited by DeathCougar; 08-23-2010 at 06:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Bad Tranny? Clutch? Master Cylinder?