86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bad clutch release cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad clutch release cylinder?

Hey all, I just finished swapping out trannies and putting in a new center force clutch in my 89 pu 4x4 w the 3.0L and am having some clutch issues...
I went to adjust my pedal after bolting everything back up and my pedal height is around 15mm short (too close to floor panel) according to fsm. I backed the adjusting bolt all the way back and still 15 mm short.
I fired er up and tried driving and sure enough it would grind going into reverse (as if the clutch wasn't fully engaged) and first gear is super stubborn to go into from a stand still. Took the truck for a little burn and all other gears shifted great, would downshift into first better than going into first from a stop.
I then got my dad to push the pedal down and watched the clutch release cylinder and it only pushes the release fork about half an inch.... Is that normal??? It feels when your pushing on the pedal like it should go past the floor, but it's not sloppy like there is air in the line, still seems firm.
What do u gurus think? Is the release cylinder shot? Master cylinder maybe? Did I not install my clutch correctly possibly? It was my first tranny and clutch job but i thought everything was relatively straight forward. And the old tranny was doing same thing, grinding going into reverse like clutch wasn't fully engaging.
Sorry for long post, thanks for reading if you're still going haha any help tips ideas advice greatly appreciated!
Old 04-02-2012, 12:59 PM

If you have replaced your master lately and did not use one from the dealer, that is you problem. Some reason the aftermarket masters are short on the throw. I had this problem once, get yourself a toyota m/c and should solve all your problems.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:33 AM

If your pedal is too close to the floor after backing out the adjustment bolt, you probably have too much play in the pedal itself. Does your pedal have up and down play? the pin that is perpendicular to the adjusting rod that actually goes into the clutch pedal might be worn down, or the pedal itself is worn down. (should be a circular hole in the pedal.. not oblong or oval)