86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone ever use megasquirt in a 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 06:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone ever use megasquirt?

I've seen a lot of this on the boards. Just wondering what kind of success people have had.

Last edited by suprathepeg; 01-27-2006 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:00 AM

bumpity bump bump
Old 01-27-2006, 07:31 PM

cmon someone has to know something about this?
Old 01-28-2006, 05:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
megasquirt? is that a new type of supersoaker? lol

sorry couldnt resist - but seriously is that a WMI system?
Old 01-28-2006, 07:51 AM

Yea I know what it is I wanna know the experiances people have had with it?
Old 01-28-2006, 09:07 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Dude, I think people honestly don't know what product you're talking about...
Old 01-28-2006, 09:59 AM

Its a DIY EFI controller.

http://www.megasquirt.info/index.html
Old 01-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive heard of guys using it with 22re's, but never a 3.0.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:06 AM

Cool

AFAIK, no.
I'm about 1 month away from building a MSII for a >400whp turbo 3vz-fe tho.
Weasy knows what it is. He's teasing you because he's Canda's Perfect Power dealer.

He'd rather you buy a PRS than a MS kit.

Last edited by Toysrme; 01-28-2006 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:39 PM

Incorrect Toysrme,
Ide rather you buy anything but a MS
i KNOW im gonna have to play around more with MS in the future as its "the thing to get", however i dont trust in it as i do other products.

and of course going for a PRS unit would rock Hell the TIC from perfect power would be a virtual direct replacment because the stock ecu is batch fire and the TIC does batch fire on 6cyl vs sequential fire on the I4's in which it was mostly deisgned for.....

ramble ramble ramble....
Old 01-28-2006, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 465 Likes on 311 Posts
My husband has one for his '63 Volvo-he's sent it back to have a connector put on that will enable it to plug right into the wiring harness......or something like that.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:41 PM

Cool

LoL! Touche Weasy.
AFA I can tell through spending a good bit of time rescently researching it, evne the old megasquirt looks better to me than even the best carb. I'd do an EFI swap on any carb vehicle with any MS without hesitation.

The MS's do not have alot of data points, but between logging & auto-tune, I'm not too worried about it. It interpolates between points just like anything else, it'll just be a little larger interpolations.

Eh, then again they're cheaper than an AEM hah.

Last edited by Toysrme; 01-28-2006 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by suprathepeg
Yea I know what it is I wanna know the experiances people have had with it?
I was asking you what is a 'megasquirt'?.........

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 01-28-2006 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:06 PM

Do you think it could be made to work with the stock sensors?
Old 01-28-2006, 05:31 PM

do i thnk? I dont know every standalone might or might not....
Only the ones that STATE they do (like the XMS from pp ) that means they have been tested

See the problem with standalones and toyota is that there crank and cam sensors are really weak. So it is a sever pain in the ass for the standalones to reconize. Im fairly confident the 3vz-e and fe will work becuase they still use the disti vs the 5vz does not. The distis in toyota have a bit stronger signal then the disti less systems.

But for the 3vz-e and fe people there is not big reason to go with standalone as they are both OBD-I systems and are easy to mate up with a piggyback to do the job as well. Dont have to deal with tuning timing and fuel from scratch as the ecu already has that...as well as dealing with the tranny control....(for autos)....

Bumpin Yota:
Megasquirt is a open source do it yourself standalone system that has come out in the recent years. Basicly you can buy the parts and solder them all together yourself and install the software on there that some peopel ahve made for it.
Or you can buy a already made one for cheap. it does the job as a standalone and the features are starting to get there. My exeperinces with the unit have left me kinda ticked off. The fact it is open source you have to find the right firmware version to match your software or else it wont work, this involved hunting around forever to find the damn revesion 3.43d and not 3.43c as they wont work together!

When it works it does the job as i mentioned.

The last pet peeve of mine is the fact that
1) They are soldered by hand (the cheap ones) and people make mistakes...engines dont take mistakes well....
2) Its open source...so anyone can ÅÅÅÅ with the software and if you download it and putit in your ecu you could THINK your putting 35 deg of timing but the ecu sends 90 becuase the haxors are el33t3.

The frist i have seen happen....the second CAN happen.

Other then that...yea it works...yea its a standalone, but as it stands MS1 is not for me...MSII maybe something ill look at.

omg i pulled a toysrme

Last edited by Weasy2k; 01-28-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Weasy2k
omg i pulled a toysrme
tee-hee... yeah ya' did.

Bumpin' dude... Check here for MSII Info. Johnny's got the general gist, but a bit more is that there's an up side to this being open source. Being OS generates input from literally all over the world and that breeds TONS of support for the engines from all sorts of places.

It's a very cool, very flexible fuel controller. It can completely replace the engine side of the ECU - and that means no more mucking with piggybacks, or A/FR sensor fake-outs, or hassles with running a different MAF.

BUT... It DOES require a decent amount of knowledge about what you're doing, what type of injectors you have, how the crank/cam signals work, etc. It also doesn't hurt to have some coding background. You _sometimes_ have to make a change in a source header (not to the code itself) and recompile code to enable an option.

Also... The basic MS does _not_ handle timing control. The MSII though has the additional CPU horsepower to handle timing.

And... There's no support (currently) for controlling an auto tranny. That's not a "huge" deal, in that what most folks do is to parallel the stock ECU off of the normal inputs and let it deal with the tranny. Most folks I know that have installed one are running a manual tranny and it's a "breeze".

And... While Johnny is right that there are folks who don't know how to solder selling pre-assembled, there _ARE_ VERY reputable dealers of pre-assembled MS & MSII modules. This is another upside to the Open Source community. browse the MS forums for about 3 minutes and you'll find who to buy from.

Personally, I would install one of these in a heartbeat... it's a perfect solution for me, being a coder and general geek. My problem is that my 4Runner is my daily driver, and I can't afford to have it down while I tune the module and set it up for the truck. My plan is to get a busted ECU that matches mine, strip the connectors out of it, and then create a harness so that I can swap the MS in and out as I have time. The "normal" install is that people hack their harnesses and commit 100% to the MS.

It's definitely on my "some day" list.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:33 PM

Yea those are the upsides...
I may get into it once MSII starts to show its face. I want to master the Perfect Power lineup before going into something else.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:02 AM

From my experiance with Linux, the opensource idea is really quite neat. You get ideas and contributions from people with a diverse background, experiance and pretty much all working towards a common goal. The big problem can be support, but seems if you are willing to do the homework it can be a good trade off. We could do more with an old tower running linux then you could with a rack running NT. Heck even microsoft uses Linux to run its higher demand servers.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:09 AM

Oh I should also mention that smt also sounds pretty cool and when you add all the costs and time together it isn't really more expensive then MS. A complete MS 2 is about $450 plus any other parts you may need.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by suprathepeg
From my experiance with Linux, the opensource idea is really quite neat. You get ideas and contributions from people with a diverse background, experiance and pretty much all working towards a common goal. The big problem can be support, but seems if you are willing to do the homework it can be a good trade off. We could do more with an old tower running linux then you could with a rack running NT. Heck even microsoft uses Linux to run its higher demand servers.
Not relevent but ok

OS on a PC and TUNING software is a bit different

The only thing i agree on is that you get more peopel working toward a goal but it doesnt mean anything about the "relibility" of the unit. Like i said from PERSONAL experinces with this unit and the software bugs can get very annoying for someone who wants to be able to wire the unit up and fire it up.

Other then then those its worth it

Oh yea nad the SMT6's price drop makes it 389usd for us Toyota guys