86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Amsoil MTG GL-4

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsoil MTG GL-4

Just drained and filled the 5 speed transmission in my 93 and WOW! The difference is night and day to what was in it.

I bought the truck a couple months back and wasn't sure when all of the fluids had been changed so I basically drained and refilled everything and used Amsoil products front to rear.

The shifting on the truck didn't seem horrible before the change but after driving the truck after the change I realized it was pretty bad. I just cannot believe the difference. Goes into gear like its nothing and there is no more "catch" going into 3rd gear

Anyway, there is a HUGE difference between GL-4 and GL-5 fluid. I used the Amsoil but I hear Redline is awesome as well. Took me 25 min to drain and refill and cost me about $30. Well worth it!
Old 10-07-2012, 07:31 AM

Redline MT90 is what most guys run. And yes, it is awesome...I use it and it works very well.

"Anyway, there is a HUGE difference between GL-4 and GL-5 fluid. I used the Amsoil but I hear Redline is awesome as well. Took me 25 min to drain and refill and cost me about $30. Well worth it!"

Do you have specific experience with this?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I use this Amsoil as well. Wouldn't trade it for anything at this point. I use the Amsoil GL-5 in my diffs.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by daved5150
Redline MT90 is what most guys run. And yes, it is awesome...I use it and it works very well.

"Anyway, there is a HUGE difference between GL-4 and GL-5 fluid. I used the Amsoil but I hear Redline is awesome as well. Took me 25 min to drain and refill and cost me about $30. Well worth it!"

Do you have specific experience with this?
Specific experience with what?
Old 10-07-2012, 11:26 PM

Put in MT90 during my auto to manual swap in my tranny and tcase. Never had any problems with either of them. Also recommend the marlin crawler shifter bushings (biggest improvement).
Only bad thing about the mt90 is it ran me $100 for both the tranny and tcase.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Vang530
Put in MT90 during my auto to manual swap in my tranny and tcase. Never had any problems with either of them. Also recommend the marlin crawler shifter bushings (biggest improvement).
Only bad thing about the mt90 is it ran me $100 for both the tranny and tcase.
x2 for the Marlin Crawler Poly shifter seat bushings (or whatever kind of plastic it is). There are awesome. Makes the tranny shift very smooth and solid feeling.

Originally Posted by huntsonora
Specific experience with what?
Specific experience with a GL5 lube in the transmission as you stated "Anyway, there is a HUGE difference between GL-4 and GL-5 fluid." Since you were talking about how smooth your tranny now shifts with the GL4, I thought maybe you had GL5 in there before...I've been posting at this thread here about the use of GL4 and GL5 in our transmissions. It stands to reason that our transmissions shift smoother with the GL4 rather than the GL5. I have used the GL4 rated Red Line MT90 but never had a GL5 lube in the tranny. But Toyota does list GL5 as well as GL4 in the FSM, which in itself is very confusing because of the possible accelerated wear of the yellow metal synchronizers by the higher concentration of EP chemistry in the "5" rated lube over the "4" as reported by many different sources if you look into it.

In that thread that I linked to, I asked the question if anyone had any experience good or bad, with a GL5 rated lube in the transmission. I believe MudHippy was the only one who stated he had no problems with it. Too many posts I have seen around here that state they use a GL4 dino or synthetic only. It is definitely a subject I want to learn more about: GL5 in the Tranny - can you or can't you???
Old 10-09-2012, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by daved5150

Specific experience with a GL5 lube in the transmission as you stated "Anyway, there is a HUGE difference between GL-4 and GL-5 fluid." Since you were talking about how smooth your tranny now shifts with the GL4, I thought maybe you had GL5 in there before...I've been posting at this thread here about the use of GL4 and GL5 in our transmissions. It stands to reason that our transmissions shift smoother with the GL4 rather than the GL5. I have used the GL4 rated Red Line MT90 but never had a GL5 lube in the tranny. But Toyota does list GL5 as well as GL4 in the FSM, which in itself is very confusing because of the possible accelerated wear of the yellow metal synchronizers by the higher concentration of EP chemistry in the "5" rated lube over the "4" as reported by many different sources if you look into it.

In that thread that I linked to, I asked the question if anyone had any experience good or bad, with a GL5 rated lube in the transmission. I believe MudHippy was the only one who stated he had no problems with it. Too many posts I have seen around here that state they use a GL4 dino or synthetic only. It is definitely a subject I want to learn more about: GL5 in the Tranny - can you or can't you???
It had a GL-5 rated 75w90 in the transmission when I changed it and while I didn't feel that the shifting was horrible at the time I knew that it definitely wasn't as smooth as it could be.

I drained the GL-5 fluid and replaced it with the Amsoil MTG GL-4 fluid and the difference was night and day. Only then did I realize how bad it was with the GL-5 rated fluid. We have even had a few cold days up here in northern Colorado and it still shifted really smooth.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:57 AM

Same story with changes in RED

Originally Posted by huntsonora
It had a "GL-4/5" rated 75w90 Mobil1 in the transmission when I changed it and while I didn't feel that the shifting was horrible at the time I knew that it definitely wasn't as smooth as it could be.

I drained the "GL-4/5" fluid and replaced it with the Redline MT90 GL-4 fluid and the difference was night and day. Only then did I realize how bad it was with the GL-5 rated fluid.
Bottom line is GL-4 'anything' in a W56 trans will probably shift better than any GL-5 oil.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:57 PM

The only 75w90 lube that Mobil currently makes is GL5 rated to the best of my knowledge. It is GL5 rated for limited slip diffs. I don't know exactly what you meant by "GL4/5".

I want to see how many people claim to use a GL5 in our transmissions and have good results with it. The link to the other thread is where this starts to get discussed. I am a huge fan of synthetic GL4 rated lubricants for the transmissions. I also hear that it is not an apparent issue for the transfer case because of it's "non" synchromesh design, but I am not 100% on that. I also heard that the transfer case also has yellow parts in them as well. For the record, I run a GL4 lube in the transfer case as well, usually MT90. Another question I would like answered is why, if a GL4 functions better and a GL5 might be an issue with yellow metal synchros in our trannys, why is it listed along with GL4 in Toyota FSM??? It is very common to see GL4 rated lube specified for foreign and other synchronized MT's.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I ran GL-5 for a couple of years when I didn't know better. It didn't shift as smoothly, certainly not in cold temps, plus I developed a synchronizer problem with 2nd gear which is now permanent. PART of that could be that I ran the tranny almost empty for 1000 miles when I had a leak I didn't catch in time (park on gravel so didn't show up)~

Anywho, now have Amsoil GL-4 & except for that 2nd gear tooth scratch I get when I don't shift carefully, it's like BUTTAH~