86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ALMOST Dying while try to accelerate

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bear80
IF the engine is stalling when you try to add throttle then you are starved for AIR not fuel.
not nesseraly if you do not have enough fuel and you press the gas, the fuel mixture will lean a little and as air starts to come in, leans the mixture out even more and will cause poor performance and hesitation along with some stalling.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:00 PM

It's just engine 101. Too much fuel=flooding which is stalling. Too little fuel=no power. Too little spark/combustion=ruff idle, no power. It's not rocket science.

Anyway after giving it a second go, it sounds like the AFM is toast. A new one is a pretty penny, but there should be plenty in the junk yards
Old 11-01-2006, 07:36 PM

Ok I have no clue what an AFM or MAF are.....I am not an expert here guys...help me out
Here's the other deal...i was just getting ready to sell this DAMN THING!!! I dont want to put a bunch of money into it unless I have to to get rid of the dang thing....dont have the money, time or patience....So....if you could clerify the abbreviations that would be greatly appeciated and I guess since there is are so many different suggestions I will do guess and check.........to start with anyway. Then maybe take it to someone. I have new spark plugs and everything for a tune up which were the thing I was planning to do before I sell it........I am leaning towards the fuel pump or filter..........if there are anymore suggestions it would be greatly appeciated.

I want to thank all of you for all your input and help you have been really helpful. I will definetly keep you posted on it but please if there are anymore suggestions PLEASE let me know. THANK YOU!
Old 11-01-2006, 09:19 PM

This is the AFM, sets on the top of the air box.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IF the engine is stalling when you try to add throttle then you are starved for AIR not fuel.
I thought about that seeing as how I've had multiple occasions where these same symptoms occured after washing the engine bay and small ammounts of water or just condensation or moisture somehow gets through the filter. It stumble and won't accelerate because I think when the filter is wet, if you try to pull too much air through it brings moisture with it and that is what makes the engine stumble.

I would also suggest as others have a fuel pressure test, and chaning the fuel filter. It isn't that hard if you know how to take the piece of the fender out. i figured it out while changing the starter and it gives easy accest to everything that is servicable hiding under the intake manifold.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:27 PM

Ok, no matter what, if the truck idles fine then there is enough fuel to make it go. I see no possible way that if there is fuel and it runs that it would stall if you try and add throttle. I can tell you from experience that even if the computer is "fooled" into thinking the truck is always at idle, the truck will run fine, just no power because no extra fuel is being added--just like a severely blocked fuel filter and bad fuel pressure.

Last edited by Bear80; 11-01-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by bob200587
I thought about that seeing as how I've had multiple occasions where these same symptoms occured after washing the engine bay and small ammounts of water or just condensation or moisture somehow gets through the filter. It stumble and won't accelerate because I think when the filter is wet, if you try to pull too much air through it brings moisture with it and that is what makes the engine stumble.

I would also suggest as others have a fuel pressure test, and chaning the fuel filter. It isn't that hard if you know how to take the piece of the fender out. i figured it out while changing the starter and it gives easy accest to everything that is servicable hiding under the intake manifold.
You had moisture in the distributor, not the air filter and it was a spark problem.

There is almost no way in hell that a fuel filter is the cause, the worst case of a filter would affect power and mileage, nothing this severe.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, no matter what, if the truck idles fine then there is enough fuel to make it go. I see no possible way that if there is fuel and it runs that it would stall if you try and add throttle. I can tell you from experience that even if the computer is "fooled" into thinking the truck is always at idle, the truck will run fine, just no power because no extra fuel is being added--just like a severely blocked fuel filter and bad fuel pressure.
How in the world did you come up with this assumption, just because the truck idles fine, it's got enough fuel Usally fuel pumps just flat fail, but sometimes they will work well enough to provide adequate fuel for the vehicle to idle, but not enough to run under power. My guess is, if your not getting any type of check engine light, is either the fuel pump, or a severely clogged filter. This would be the first place I checked, have a shop test the fuel pressure. If the pressure checks ok, i'd go with the timing chain next. You did mention that your getting a noise up front. I'm not to familiar with the 22's, on how easy it is for them to break a tooth, or even skip one. That would throw the timing off enough for it to start, but not run under power.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm gonna say the fuel system including the filter is fine as well...

I'll put my money on electrical. Do the tune up and be sure to change the cap and rotor, plugs, and wires and see if the problem disappears.

It may even be a spark plug wire that has come unplugged from either the distributor or the spark plug. I always push them down everytime I'm under the hod to check for this.

Btw, this is a little off topic, but being a girl you'll probably get better results from the forum if you post naked pics in front of your truck...
Old 11-02-2006, 07:11 AM

Overdrive, THose type of girls drive some crap Miata's or something not Toyota "Trucks"............
Old 11-02-2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
I'm gonna say the fuel system including the filter is fine as well...

I'll put my money on electrical. Do the tune up and be sure to change the cap and rotor, plugs, and wires and see if the problem disappears.

It may even be a spark plug wire that has come unplugged from either the distributor or the spark plug. I always push them down everytime I'm under the hod to check for this.

Btw, this is a little off topic, but being a girl you'll probably get better results from the forum if you post naked pics in front of your truck...
it was just said, that a tune up was just done, lets do some reading.

DID this problem start right after the tune up? maybe they installed the wires or rotor on wrong.

also the MAF could be bad, and telling the engine that the wrong amount of air is coming in, so inturn you have less fuel being sent to the Cylinders.

Does the truck misfire at all?

I'm putting my money on not enough fuel due to something being clogged or a bad sensor. because if it tries to stall when you hit the gas, thats when more air is coming in and the engine requires more gas to keep it running, else the A/F becomes too lean and it tries to stall.

sorry i'm not too familiar with these 4runners yet, however I can familiar anything automotive.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by dwh91102
How in the world did you come up with this assumption, just because the truck idles fine, it's got enough fuel
Did you read? The engine will run at any throttle position even if no more fuel is added than that which is supplied at idle. There is no stalling or ruff running if this happens, it's just lean and you'll know by noticeable power loss. I know you went to school and you can read and interpret....can't you??
Old 11-02-2006, 12:06 PM

I stand by the afm, because this happend before. Just not on a 22re, but an afm equiped 1fze.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...because this happend before.
i had similiar issues w/the 22RE that was solved by replacing the filter. hesitation and lack of top end power, starting and idle was fine
Old 11-02-2006, 01:00 PM

I stand by the afm, because this happend before. Just not on a 22re, but an afm equiped 1fze.
yea, a quick way to check that would be to unplug it and see if the truck runs any different
Old 11-02-2006, 04:53 PM

If you unplug the afm, the truck will instantly die. Sorry for my tone just above, I was in a grumpy mood.

I do not dissagree that a cloged filter can cause power lose with hesitation but there just is no way it can cause an issue this bad. I still think it is an air mixture issue which points to the afm.

Last edited by Bear80; 11-02-2006 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Alperovich
it was just said, that a tune up was just done, lets do some reading.

Man, who ลลลล all over your cornflakes?

It was said in the thread I read at least, that a tune up was done a year ago and now she has the parts to do it again but hasn't yet.

I deserve an appology...

Last edited by ovrrdrive; 11-02-2006 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lets not start a cat fight here.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:37 PM

Ok so I haven't read all through this thread yet so I don't know if its been covered yet.
I work at an airport where we have a ford ranger 5spd manual with a 4cyl. We had the EXACT problem that was described in the initial post.

Anyways, the mechanic at the airport dropped the fuel tank and replaced the fuel pump and filter. He found dirt, leaves, woodchips, bark, rocks, an entire load of crap in the fuel tank. I think the fuel pump tried to draw more fuel to supply the engine and was drawing against leaves/rocks/bark/wood.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mister Willie
Ok so I haven't read all through this thread yet so I don't know if its been covered yet.
I work at an airport where we have a ford ranger 5spd manual with a 4cyl. We had the EXACT problem that was described in the initial post.

Anyways, the mechanic at the airport dropped the fuel tank and replaced the fuel pump and filter. He found dirt, leaves, woodchips, bark, rocks, an entire load of crap in the fuel tank. I think the fuel pump tried to draw more fuel to supply the engine and was drawing against leaves/rocks/bark/wood.
How do you manage to get, dirt, leaves, woodchips, bark, rocks and stuff in a fuel tank? Pranksters? I wonder what i would find if i dropped my tank. lol. A hotwheels car?

Last edited by 86SR522REEFI; 11-02-2006 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: ALMOST Dying while try to accelerate