86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Alignment????

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 08:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
too much negative toe will cause a sense of 'numbness' to the steering response- you'll start to turn the steering wheel expecting the truck to veer whichever way but there will be a slight delay, and then it will cause a sense of over-reaction once the truck does start turning like you turned too far. And it will also cause the tires to drive across the road (any road for that matter) at an angle (since the tires are not parallel) increasing wear.
If you really want it tracking straight no matter what, make sure the rear end doesn't shift to the side on off-camber roads and give yourself a bit more positive caster.
This is exactly what my truck is doing now!! Perfectly described what I have been feeling. Les Schwab did an alignment on truck. Went back to them to have it corrected. They adjusted my cam's and now it's doing exactly what you have described. I have been pretty loyal to them over the past 8 years so, I really wanty to go back and make them fix their mistake but....I'm tired of lazy idiots screwing things up on my truck.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Yellowtruck
This is exactly what my truck is doing now!! Perfectly described what I have been feeling. Les Schwab did an alignment on truck. Went back to them to have it corrected. They adjusted my cam's and now it's doing exactly what you have described. I have been pretty loyal to them over the past 8 years so, I really wanty to go back and make them fix their mistake but....I'm tired of lazy idiots screwing things up on my truck.
I feel your pain, I was in the same boat.

I saw the tech set the camber visibly off. I mean I could completely tell it was wrong. He insisted the machine showed "green" so it was within spec. That's when I got to looking into just how wide the spec was and spoke with an old guy who built race cars and aligned them by hand. He turned me onto the string method while using a square to get the camber in. That was years and years ago, I haven't been back to an alignment shop since.

For a stock car or minivan, these shops are fine. For anything modified at all, they just plain don't understand suspensions and therefore don't really know what they are doing.

Frank
Old 10-30-2008, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by elripster
I feel your pain, I was in the same boat.

I saw the tech set the camber visibly off. I mean I could completely tell it was wrong. He insisted the machine showed "green" so it was within spec. That's when I got to looking into just how wide the spec was and spoke with an old guy who built race cars and aligned them by hand. He turned me onto the string method while using a square to get the camber in. That was years and years ago, I haven't been back to an alignment shop since.

For a stock car or minivan, these shops are fine. For anything modified at all, they just plain don't understand suspensions and therefore don't really know what they are doing.

Frank
I wish I knew and had the capability to do the string method, but unfortunately I don't. I'm not quite that savvy yet.
At least here in my area there are several great Offroad shops that I can take it to, people who actually deal with Nothing but offroad rigs. It's a shame though....I always like Les Schwab; too bad for them I'm starting to lose faith in their work.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:35 AM

At least you have an option so your covered. You might just break out the string and see how it measures up now. You don't have to loosen anything up, just do it for reference. Did you check the link to the instructions? There are pics of how to do it I took of my old 4runner .

Frank
Old 10-31-2008, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by elripster
At least you have an option so your covered. You might just break out the string and see how it measures up now. You don't have to loosen anything up, just do it for reference. Did you check the link to the instructions? There are pics of how to do it I took of my old 4runner .

Frank
No, I hadn't taken a look at the link til now. Looks easy enough. I printed out all of the instructions so that I can hopefully get with a friend this weekend and give it a try. Still, I will be going back to Les Schwab....mainly because I think they should fix THEIR mistake.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:03 PM

They really should. And if they get it right, you can always run the square and string to see what right looks like. Then in the future if you need to readjust the alignment it will be easier.

Frank