Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Alert!! 514 Recall Campaign Error

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Alert!! 514 Recall Campaign Error

This is for all 4runners, Hiluxes [Pick-ups] and T100s that have had the recall for the steering third member performed [Special Service Campaign #514].

I had my Hilux into the dealer last week for performance of the recall and when I got it back as I was re-installing my front skid plate I discovered that the mechanic had forgotten to put the cotter pins on to secure the castled nuts. See Pictures below

This is a very serious error as without the cotter pins the nuts can become loose over time and back out which could lead to seperation of the third member and loss of steering control.

I took the truck back to the dealer the next day and the service manager was very concerned and had it fixed immediately.
This is what it should look like with the cotter pins installed

Admittedly the mechanic did a very rough and ugly job of installing the cotter pins. I'm going to have to do it again myself but you get the idea.
I strongly recommend that everybody who has had the recall done check that the cotter pins have been installed properly if one twit can forget so can others.
Stay Safe Aviator

Edit: I figured out how to directly import the pics from photobucket so it will save you having to click through links. Sorry for the large size but I felt it was best for clarity.

Last edited by aviator; 08-11-2007 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks my friend is going to have that done soon. how was the dealer when fixing it? did they charge you for a alignment? or any other parts that they were not soposeto? the dealer over in show low az is giving him the well if we have to do an alignment because of bad this and that they are going to charge him for as much as they can.
good catch about the cotter pins.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

No charge at all for anything.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I swear, toyota is getting way to sloppy.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay351
I swear, toyota is getting way to sloppy.
It's not fair nor accurate to equate the actions of one moronic mechanic with "Toyota...."

I agree that most of the mechanics, sales people, and managers leave a lot to be desired, but those are all part of the dealership network which i agree sucks, but they are not Toyota.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
It's not fair nor accurate to equate the actions of one moronic mechanic with "Toyota...."

I agree that most of the mechanics, sales people, and managers leave a lot to be desired, but those are all part of the dealership network which i agree sucks, but they are not Toyota.
I agree there is absolutely nothing wrong with toyota just a sloppy mechanic or apprentice... in their defence it was the friday before a long weekend so maybe their minds were elsewhere... even though they should not have been...

Any builder that will recall a product that is more than 10 yrs old is just fine in my book
Aviator

Last edited by aviator; 08-10-2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I suppose.. But since these mechanics are representing toyota I would've though that toyota would want the least amount of eff ups...
I wonder what would've happend if he didn't notice the cotter pins where missing and the bolts backed off..

p.s their salesmen are horrible!
Old 08-09-2007, 11:35 AM

Thanks! I just went to check on mine and all the pins are in place and very well done! Clipped and everything

I suppose.. But since these mechanics are representing toyota I would've though that toyota would want the least amount of eff ups...
I wonder what would've happend if he didn't notice the cotter pins where missing and the bolts backed off..

This is not an issue of mechanics representing Toyota, this is an issue of dealerships. Toyota has no say in who these dealerships hire. I am very lucky to have an excellent Toyota dealership by me. I had this recall done and the work from Dub Richardson Toyota (if you're ever in Oklahoma City, go here) and the work looks downright professional. I give it two thumbs up! Never had anything but good business with Dub Richardson
Old 08-09-2007, 03:34 PM

maybe you should find another dealer to go to. because the dealer that im a tech at would not eccept that and the tech would be gone.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Was not my usual dealer was just the one closest to work that would shuttle me to work after drop off.

Generally happy with work overall... just now I have to wire wheel and paint the front end...

Last edited by aviator; 08-10-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by mr toytech
maybe you should find another dealer to go to. because the dealer that im a tech at would not eccept that and the tech would be gone.

Well I for one wish your dealership was down here...

Our dealer is absolutely the biggest ripoff in town. Every time I'm in the market for a Toyota I drive 1-2 hours away to the bigger towns to get a better deal. They're rude, overpriced, and replace stuff that doesn't need to be replaced. Deluca Toyota is absolute crap.

Nothing against dealerships in general here, but I have a real hard time trusting some of them.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Be careful about naming actual places here when it is a negative comment some cracker jerk lawyer might consider it actionable...

Just a thought... thanks for the warning though...
Old 08-10-2007, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
Be careful about naming actual places here when it is a negative comment some cracker jerk lawyer might consider it actionable...

Just a thought... thanks for the warning though...
As long as I'm stating facts that I can prove with documentation and a phone call it isn't slander at all. If I was slamming them because I thought the owner was ugly or something I think I would have something to worry about.

If you don't believe me, call them and ask about the price on a new vehicle then call your local and compare. The most expensive option you can get on a toyota is a deluca sticker on the back. It will cost you better than $3000 more just to have it.

I am speaking of experiences that I personally have had and am protected by the Constitution of the United States in doing so...
Old 08-10-2007, 05:51 PM

I have changed quite and few and i think you could almost take the nuts off and it would not come off.. But it is suppose to be there and i do put them in...I have had to cut them out with a torch..I was broke 1 time and had a tie rod fall out. I took it to the shop and took a 1/2 drill bit and bored a hole all the way through. I bolted it back on with a jam nut and made it to pay day. Boy i hope i never have to resort to things like that again